Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population?  (Read 741 times)

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population?
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »

There seems to be something wrong with my immigration, but I cannot figure out what. I checked the wiki, and there might just be a glitch. I have been hovering just over 50 dwarfs for more than 2 years, and have not had more than 2 immigrants come at any given time. I have over 1 million created wealth, and it just keeps getting higher at a faster rate. I have never lost that many dwarfs, maybe 10 total.

Whats up with that? And is it possible to bypass the population requriements fo some of the nobles?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Population?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:46:10 pm »

Check your init settings, maybe you set the population cap lower at some point in the past. I don't think you can bypass noble settings, they might be hardcoded

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:42 pm »

Yup, noble settings are hardcoded at the moment, the only thing you can really bypass is the siege population requirement.

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »

I checked my init, and thats definitly not it. Plus, I have a changing population, I just never get more than one or two migrants, and often lose maybe one or two people a year, so I am not really gaining population.

I keep producing artifacts, as well as lots of metal and glass products, so I know I am making lots of wealth. Could that one or two deaths be the problem? Oh, and the elves have never left alive. I think that should actually attract migrants.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:32:08 pm »

Those deaths are most likely the problem. What messages are you getting in regards to migrants? If the game says something like "No migrants have attempted the journey to this accursed deathtrap" or "Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger" or something like that, it's definitely the deaths that are keeping the immigrant count down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:02 pm »

Believe it or not, dwarves don't hate the elves nearly as much as players do. Friendlies are friendlies to them.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »

I get no odd mesages. Just one that says "A migrant has arrived this year". 
And often enough (I swear) its not my fault that the elves die. I just dont often do anything about it.