Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Effectiveness of Fortifications vs Ballista and Bows...  (Read 1984 times)

ShadeDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Effectiveness of Fortifications vs Ballista and Bows...
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »

Alright, I'm getting to the point where my siege engineers are cranking out some decent quality parts and my operators can launch with some speed. However, since siege engines can't fire up or down z levels :P I'm of course going to have to build it at ground level where, from what I've read, fortifications are much less effective. Now, my question is, will the fortifications effect the accuracy of my ballistas, and will multiple layers of fortifications aid the survival of my operators?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effectiveness of Fortifications vs Ballista and Bows...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:47 pm »

Ballista rounds automatically pass fortifications, and the only thing that determines fortification usefulness is a check of distance versus archer's skill.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ShadeDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:59:07 pm »

So then multiple layers should cause multiple checks? Therefore having 8-10 layers of fortifications around my ballista will make it almost impenetrable vs their long range since each fort should cause a roll and thus probability would be on my side, and won't effect the damage output of my siege engine... If so... *glee*

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:28 am »

Ballista rounds automatically pass fortifications...

~All~ fortifications, no matter how many layers, no matter how far away? Haven't tried it, but that's not how it works with archery/crossbows.  You sure?  :-\

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »

So then multiple layers should cause multiple checks? Therefore having 8-10 layers of fortifications around my ballista will make it almost impenetrable vs their long range since each fort should cause a roll and thus probability would be on my side, and won't effect the damage output of my siege engine... If so... *glee*

Effectiveness of fortifications at blocking shots are a function of distance from the shooter to the fortification- no matter WHO is shooting at it. This applies to your dwarves.

Basically, fortifications work like real loopholes do- the defender, standing right next to it, has no problem shooting out, while the attacker, at a good distance, has a lot of trouble hitting the very small target. In real life combat, loopholes have often been turned against the defenders when the attackers ran right up to them and shot the defenders "through their own loopholes," and that can happen to your dwarves as well.

This also means that if you put four layers of fortifications between your dwarves and the enemy, your ballistas will have some trouble firing through ALL of them. They'll be shooting through four loopholes, all in a row. On the other hand, those fortifications are still pretty close, so the net block rate should be fairly low.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:28 pm »

->  ballista
X  fortification
.  ground
=/||  channel
Code: [Select]
========
........||
........||
........||
........||
XXX.....||
->X.....||
XXX.....||
........||
........||
........||
........||
========
That keeps the enemy archers 6 (or more) tiles away from the fortification

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:38:08 pm »

~All~ fortifications, no matter how many layers, no matter how far away? Haven't tried it, but that's not how it works with archery/crossbows.  You sure?  :-\

I'm pretty sure.  I've never seen fortifications successfully block any siege projectile.  They don't work exactly like other projectiles.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:13 pm »

<shrugs and nods>

Okay, I'll have to check that out!

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:58:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure.  I've never seen fortifications successfully block any siege projectile.  They don't work exactly like other projectiles.

Oh.

Well, then, fortify away.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 09:15:47 pm »

->  ballista
X  fortification
.  ground
=/||  channel
Code: [Select]
========
........||
........||
........||
........||
XXX.....||
->X.....||
XXX.....||
........||
........||
........||
........||
========
Unless they can fly :<
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:47:41 am »

Okay - is there a definitive distance that the BBEG's need to be kept? I've read 5 tiles, I've read 5 tiles, I've read 10 tiles for larger creatures (spec. "trolls"), I've read that it's not perfectly predictable - is there anyone who knows, either from personal experimentation or just brute force experience?

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:22:45 am »

Okay - is there a definitive distance that the BBEG's need to be kept? I've read 5 tiles, I've read 5 tiles, I've read 10 tiles for larger creatures (spec. "trolls"), I've read that it's not perfectly predictable - is there anyone who knows, either from personal experimentation or just brute force experience?

Don't get any illusion that there is a perfect solution, there isn't. The biggest problem I have had is the siege operator civilians running away when the see the enemy marching towards them. Make sure they have a large (lengthwise) field of fire. Like what a hundred tile hallway. Whatever you decide on your length of killzone, add your fortified siege engines onto that.

You will be able to get some shots off as the enemy walks down the hallway. You will be frustrated when your operators flee when they get too close. What is too close? Up to 20 squares sometimes. Enough for you to get angry, but the long hallway will give you some kills before your dwarves run. Despite all that, siege weapons are fun as hell to fire at invaders.

Check out some of the siege weapon topics here, and movies on dfma. You can see the action, in action, and make your plans accordingly. Good luck.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:25:42 am »

I like "variable" better, actually, esp at the closer ranges.   

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 07:45:41 am »

i read that ballistas and catapults could fire up and down z-levels...is there a conclusive answer on that one?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:31 pm »

Give your Seige engine operators the hunting labor, and have them carry crossbows.

Pages: [1] 2