Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slug/Snail men  (Read 2041 times)

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slug/Snail men
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:59:37 pm »

I have roughly 40 slug and/or snail men.
I tried dropping them into a pit, but then they got mad and attacked my haulers.
Result: blood stain in my nice (read: boring) entryway.

Is there a way to breed them? (I kind of want an army of slugmen to wage war against the goblins who attack). And, if not, is there anything cool to do with them (I have water, but no magma...)

Also, my 2 bears have brain damage... Does chaining 2 animals next to each other (with rope read / pig tail rope) cause them to bash their heads together?
... Can they still breed if they're brain dead?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slug/Snail men
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »

If you're in a very cold area or the traders traveled through a cold area, animals they carry can get hurt, thus, hopefully, explaining your bears.  If you keep your slugmen and snailmen holed up long enough you ought to end up with little children eventually.  I have had 30 or so troglodyte children, so I know untamed things breed...

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »

So I put them in a cage attached to a lever somewhere where they can't get to my military (and die), and then release them, right? For some reason, I hadn't thought of that yet.

Ok, that might explain why my bears are hurt (the elves might be coming from the tundra up north, or something).

Thanks.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:18:20 pm »

I really doubt they will attack goblins when they invade.  Good luck tho.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

If Im not mistaken most/all animalmen are either genderless or all male and have nothing in the raws for making babies.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »

I really doubt they will attack goblins when they invade.  Good luck tho.

If they're in a small room (2x2, 1x1) then they will... eventually. If you have them in cages, rig them to a lever, and release em that way, then they'll fight too. Sooooooo much fun to have a Goblin Snatcher turn to shreds by several fire imps :D
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »

Tigermen, cave swallowmen, slugmen and snailman have breeding information in vanilla. I'm not sure if they actually breed in the game, though. I think any creatures with [PET_EXOTIC] needs a dungeon master on map before they start breeding, and since the animal men aren't pets, I don't think they'll ever breed.

Make a zoo. Not an in-game one where you just stick the creatures in a cage, but a miniature habitat where they can live semi-contently.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44:04 pm »

Malachi, if you tell your haulers to drop wild animals into a pit they will open the cage, retrieve the slugman and be attacked by it. I'm sure you've noticed this ...

However if you position the cage next to the pit before throwing the animal in there it won't have time to attack. It's just going to say "wha- THUD!" and that'll be that.

I can definitely see this being a problem in your case however since you have so many of them. To my knowledge there is no way to know which specific slugman you're throwing into the pit.

I advice you to hurry and find a solution however. I have noticed that wild animals can die of old age ... atleast while in captivity. I hunted and caught antmen. They were 7, merchants killed 3, 1 broke loose (tried hauling into the pit like you did as well.. d'oh) and was killed ... and then one died in captivity.

They are very frail creatures, before long they could all die!

Wait. What happens if you throw a slugman into salt water?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:24:14 am »

It drowns, i'm fairly sure they can't swim.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:27:55 am »

It drowns, i'm fairly sure they can't swim.
I think he was thinking more about the salt part then the water part:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:03:05 am »

Aww... I don't have any salt water...
Idea: Can adventurers carry caged animals, and subsequently release them at a later time? (I.e. pick up a caged slugman from my current fortress, carry it to my next fortress [which will be built on the ocean and have several small ponds with 2/7 to 4/7 salt water] to test the effects of salt on slug and snailmen)

I haven't had time to build the zoo yet; 3 sieges, building a water tunnel for sieges, remembering that cages are necessary to keep my legendary cooks for being beaten in the brain for carrying my mayors favorite earrings to the depot, etc.

Despite all that, i haven't seen any of them die (and even if they do, I'm already carpeting the map with cage traps; I gotta catch 'em all).

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:10:57 am »

I gotta catch 'em all).

POKE- NO! BAD NERUZ!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:21:55 am »

From experience, snail/slugmen do have genders but will not breed when held captive. I had small free-range slugmen and snailmen exhibits in the zoo of a previous fort. They never had any babies despite the fact that there were males and females of each kind.

They make a nifty zoo exhibit, but not much else.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 07:34:22 am »

Freerange snail/slug men sounds...slimy.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:06:50 am »

I gotta catch 'em all).

POKE- NO! BAD NERUZ!

:)

I'll finish walling in the zoo section relatively soon (and then slowly replace the inside wall with glass). It'll be aboveground, meaning there'll be plants, trees, a brook, and I'll even add in a misting system for the little guys.
And if they're really nice, I'll let them play with my zombie Titan lord.
Pages: [1] 2