Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Parasitic Challenge  (Read 2974 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Parasitic Challenge
« on: April 26, 2009, 01:39:56 pm »

This isn't really a challenge, but it's something I'm doing thats a ton of fun. I build up a starting 7 specializing in mechanics, mining, carpentry and masonry and we head out to a human capital city.

We loot the human houses and eat their food. We collapse the keeps and temples upon scores of humans, selling the armour and weapons for booze. We dwarven parasites intend to level every building in the capital except the one 4-story apartment building we have adapted as our base, around which we built a huge rock salt wall using blocks taken from the leveled temple.

The poor humans are too foolish to realize that their buildings do not fall down on their own accord. Either way, being a parasite is a ton of fun and I recommend it to any dwarf fortress builder for a try.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Parasitic Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:06:02 pm »

That does actually sound like fun. I've yet to take advantage of any civ I've come across on the map.

I've tried looting in Adventure mode ala Grand Theft Wagon style. It was fun until I got caught, but in dwarf mode...  ;D, that sounds especially fiendish.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:11:10 pm »

it is, and its even better to let the orcs/goblins kill them when you attract the enemy to the friendly town.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:29:35 pm »

I am curious - how long can you parasite on town? Humans do not produce anything new, right?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »

I'm curious, what's the deepest anyone has caved-in any building (dark tower, temple, palace, house, entire fortress)?

I mean, I've seen many videos of people dropping these 1-Z and killing everything inside, but I always wondered if anyone made sure the job was done and kinda, you know, plummet the thing a good 10-Zs?

Here's an illustration what I'm talking about.

What I commonly see:
Code: [Select]
   O========O
   | TARGET |
#  ##########  #
~      I       ~ <---- 1-Story *yawn* simple flat execution
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I want to see:
   O========O
   | TARGET |
#  ##########  #
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~      I       ~ <---- 10-story execution
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or to appease Armok, and completely wreck the place, it's people, and just about anything underneath:
   O========O
   | TARGET |
#  ##########  #
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~~     I      ~~
~~     I      ~~
~~~    I     ~~~
~~~    I     ~~~
~~~~   I    ~~~~
~~~~   I    ~~~~
~~~~~  I  ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ I ~~~~~~~ <---- 10-story cone execution
~~~~~~ I ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can also invert that image and make the building get driven through a spike with a hollow nozzle down the center (where the supports lie).

O========O
   | TARGET |
#  ##########  #
~      I       ~
~      I       ~
~    ~ I ~     ~
~    ~ I ~     ~
~   ~~ I ~~    ~
~   ~~ I ~~    ~
~  ~~~ I ~~~   ~
~  ~~~ I ~~~   ~
~ ~~~~ I ~~~~  ~
~ ~~~~ I ~~~~~ ~ <---- 10-story spike execution
~~~~~~ I ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course, the bottom-most support is the one that gets detonated for the 10-Z drop, or if you want to be sure it works properly, detonate them all.

Make sure that everything inside is dead and gone.

I mean, start a new fortress out of the ruins of a fort/tower/temple you collapsed previously, by making a pit as deep as the building is tall.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:17:04 pm by Itnetlolor »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »

actualy, i always thought it would be kinda cool to take over a dark tower and turn it into a dwarven fortress

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:04:16 pm »

It's surprisingly easy to last for years solely on the things already in the human town. i think I once lasted about 5 years with dozens of dwarfs without even having to gather or farm any plants.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:20 pm »

It's surprisingly easy to last for years solely on the things already in the human town. i think I once lasted about 5 years with dozens of dwarfs without even having to gather or farm any plants.

this tottaly just gave me the image of little dwarfs popping out of the ground like gophers and grabbing food before going back underground  ;D

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:08:42 pm »

this tottaly just gave me the image of little dwarfs popping out of the ground like gophers and grabbing food before going back underground  ;D
What about stealing underpants?

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2: ? ? ?
Step 3: Profit

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:15:02 pm »

Yeah they don't produce anything although they do age and have their kids grow up. The survivors of the collapsed keep are all kept in the pit I dug to drop them into and every so often I will designate their clothes for dumping. My dwarves run in, take the clothes, and then I undesignate them in the dump and sell them. At this rate, the humans will be useful for dozens of years. I am deconstructing each building in town log by log and using the wood to add more and more floors to my 4-story apartment complex. It is now 6 stories tall and has stockpiles and kitchens.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »

There needs to be a succession game of this.

Ahh... the possibilities, the stories, the hilarity.

I want in on it if anyone starts one.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »

It is far more pleasing to build a wall around the entire town, and then flood it.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:31:34 pm »

It is far more pleasing to build a wall around the entire town, and then flood it WITH MAGMA.
FIXED!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »

It is far more pleasing to build a wall around the entire town, and then flood it WITH WAGMA.
FIXED!

BOTH!
WAGMA! When MAGMA is just not enough.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 05:40:52 pm »

It is far more pleasing to build a wall around the entire town, and then flood it WITH WAGMA.
FIXED!

BOTH!
WAGMA! When MAGMA is just not enough.
We've all heard of Emerald City just over the rainbow, but I think Dwarves would appreciate Obsidian City just under the faultline a little more, you know?
Pages: [1] 2