Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Age of Heroes Mod : Release 1  (Read 7502 times)

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Age of Heroes Mod : Release 1
« on: April 26, 2009, 01:35:26 pm »

DF: Age of Heroes Modification

The Age of Heroes modification aims to add more content to the dwarf fortress game without breaking or destroying the feel of the default Dwarf Fortress world by introducing things like new entities (Orcs, for example). It can be thought of as dwarf fortress plus.

New creatures, new items, and a host of fixes are all included for you pleasure.

The mod comes in two formats. Original and expanded. The features of original are outlined below.

The full change list is below

Entities

- All entities are now playable. No modification has been done to jobs however, so some may be restrictive when compared to the dwarves.

Creatures (Old)

- All creatures given new attacks. Some creatures receive new poison, blood sucking, or special attacks, or have been buffed to more accurately represent their capabilities

- Semi-megabeasts are now stronger, and the ettin head body problem has been fixed.

- Megabeasts are now much tougher, being above 30 in size, having high damblocks, new attacks, and all gain skills. They can also not be caught in cage traps. It is now possible for the strongest and talented megabeasts to take on multiple champions, especially the deadly bronze colossus. The hydra can now lose multiple heads without dying.

- HFS are also much stronger and deadlier than ever before.

- A new body set decreases the chances of unlikely multiple piercings of organs, but also introduces            vulnerability in the form of major arteries in other body parts.

- Many creatures are now trainable, but most require a dungeon master to be able to train them.
- Age bugs on domestic animals have been fixed, and a cat bug fix for those still on 40d is implemented.
- Treants may also now appear on maps, and have been set to appear as a larger predator in ANY_FOREST biomes.

Creatures (New)

- All fanciful creatures are now in the game, as either rare, wandering creatures                                   
       or as powerful semi megabeasts.

- Roc: A giant bird like megabeast that can cause serious problems for any fort.

- Basilisk: A strong, giant lizard than can permanently paralyse victims with its long stare.

- Gorgon: A humanoid, female monstrosity that can also petrify her victims.

- Phoenix: A reclusive bird like creature that lives in magma, its bones etc are a valuable commodity.

- Wyvern: An insidious, but fortunately recluse, creature. Similar to the dragon, but with non of the nobility, the wyvern is a two legged reptile that also has a powerful poison in its tail. It can be captured and used as a mount by anyone insane enough to try.

- Cave Horror: The creators of the spider race, these horrid creatures are rumoured to still exist in the deepest parts of the world. Think giant cave spiders, but at a giant size.

- Rockmen: Rockmen are elementals that have a random stone glosstype, and drop masterpiece statues on death. They are quite dangerous large predators, and can take quite a beating. Some of the may even be made of diamonds!

- Feral Vampires: These vampires are powerful night predators, and are introduced to complement the werewolf creature. They are very strong, and have a debilitating blood suck attack. They can only be killed by head removal, or by being pierced through the heart.

- Crabs and Lobsters: Crabs and lobsters now roam the world in 3 different types – vermin, large, and giant. They an be a valuable source of food, but the larger ones can pose quite a risk to any unskilled dwarf who happens to anger one! They can be found as either salt, freshwater or cave varieties.

- Giant Lizards: Taken from my chaos reigns mod, these giant lizards are powerful reptiles that roam the more tropical areas of the DF world. They have a savage bite attack. They may also be used as mounts.

- Giant Hunting Spiders: Giant hunting spiders now prowl the jungles, and although they are the smallest of the spiders apart form the vermin critters and lack the ability to make webs, they are a nippy creature who can cover ground remarkably fast, able to chase down most prey with a quick burst of speed. They also have a powerful, poisonous bite.

- Kraken: The Kraken is a large squid like creature than lives in the ocean in savage areas. Unfortunately for your dwarves, being such a creature, its amphibious, and has a taste for flesh. Being of considerable size, it can either lash or strangle dwarves, or enjoy feasting on them with its powerful bird like beak. It can also spray boiling ink at unfortunate victims.

- Giant Elephants: These are giant elephants. They make boatmurdered elephants look decidedly tame when angered.

- Giant snakes: Giant snakes come in many forms, and are found in underground areas and tropical biomes. They are very fast, and can strike quickly and have a deadly poison.

- Giant Saltwater Crocodile: Even larger, horrendously deadly crocodiles. You DEFINETLY want to keep your dwarves away from these.

- Giant Hippos: Oh, and keep them away from these as well.

- Giant Grizzly, Black and Polar bears: Giant bears are also another problem in savage and evil areas, and can make a quick snack of most other creatures.

- Giant wolves: The most common land predator on steroids. They come in packs, and are one of the adventurers worst nightmares.

- Giant Sasquatch: Another large and deadly creature, this creature will make living on savage glaciers and arctic biomes difficult.

- Piranha: Swarms of death in tropical pools, these are fish you definitely don’t want to try and ‘charge’.

- Giant Ice Wolf: Larger, even more dangerous version of the ‘normal’, evil ice wolves.

- Giant Blizzard man: A ghost one second, a deadly whirlwind of elemental fury the next. Highly rare, but can be as strong as a default df giant.

- Giant Stranglers: A dangerous problem in tropical forests. These stranglers are one of the stranger creatures added to the game.

- Giant phantom spiders: These are the ‘inbetweens’ of the giant cave spider and the giant hunting spider. They have a web attack, and are highly deadly to lone dwarves. They can be found in evil forests and mountain areas.

- Giant demon rats: dangerous large versions of the normal df critter.

- Giant blood gnats: Giant versions of the standard blood gnat, swarm evil pools and can quickly suck a victim of all their blood in just 2 or 3 bites.

- Diamond, ruby, emerald and sapphire men: Giant elementals that drop valuable statues on death. You will need a cunning plan or trained dwarves to deal with these, having high damblocks and being a minimum of size 10.

- Giant magma spider: Think of giant cave spiders. Think of fire. Think of burning. You have the picture.

- Giant magma men: The strongest new elemental. A giant, who towers wreathed in flame against all those who would stand against it.

- Giant fire snake: A giant version of the critter. These are like land snakes, but inject liquid fire into victims causing them intense fatal burns.

- Giant Purring maggot: One of the few new pacifistic creatures. These can be brought by starting dwarves or goblin civs.

- Giant Purring Cave Fly: The not so pretty result. Although its bite attack inflicts low damage, it can quickly drain a target of its blood supply.

Items (Old)

- Kobolds now use blowguns.
- Longbows and Shortbows now exist, rather than just Bow. Shortbows are smaller and do less damage, but can be carried one handed by most creatures. Longbows are pretty much standard dwarf fortress bows but renamed to avoid confusion.

Items (New)

- New weapons: 

Mattocks, which come in two types. The pick mattock does blunt damage and can be used for mining. The axe mattacok can be used to cut trees, and does slash damage. Both have the chance to pierce, thanks to the pick or prong like end of the implement

Clubs, which can be made of stone,  or other material, and do bludgeon damage.

Knives and daggers: Lesser, smaller versions of the large dagger used by kobolds for all races.

Staves: Trusty old staffs that can be used as a bludgeoning weapon added for most races. These can also be made of stone, if your such inclined.

Glaive: A large, deadly polearm weapon that inflicts a lot of slash damage, but is rather heavy.

Voulge: Similar to the halberd, but does gore damage thanks to the usually broader blade of the weapon.

Partisan: A large, heavy but damaging spear weapon.

PS: These were added to try and encourage people to use polearm weapons, which would often lose out to the power and reliability of weapons such as the great axe and maul. More information about them, and anything else added can be found on wikipedia.

- New Armour:

Scale Armour: Falling in between chain mail and plate armour, scale armour is an uncommon armour type that provides greater protection than chainmail while being more mobile than plate armour. However, it is much heavier than chain mail, and takes almost as much material to produce as plate armour.

Plants (Old)

- All edible raw plants have had a halving in their growth rates to make them less of a clear cut choice for food production. I still think it’s a bit low, but without nerfing them into oblivion, its what ive settled on for now.

Plants (New)

- Tower husk, a relative of tower cap mushrooms can be grown on farm plots. It can be brought on embark, and takes 2 full years to grow to maturity. 3 husks can be processed into tower cap wood, or be brewed into a powerful drink know as dwarven absinthe, renowned throughout the world for its alcoholic effects.

Speech

-Speech files have been expanded upon to create a more diverse conversation tree. It has not been thoroughly tested, so reports of any errors would be greatly appreciated.

These are all the files in the ORIGINAL folder in the download, and are all my own work.

Expanded version

The expanded set contains contents from other mods. These are listed below, and are not of my own work.

-The minerals mod released by sean, including the economic stone selection mod, with some of its contents modified to fit in with the world theme better. This includes the removal of inobtanium, which rendered adamantium obsolete. I have tested this only to ensure world generation, but no problems should arise. If any do, don’t hesistate to point them out.
- Descriptors from the martial arts mod, also by sean.
- Plants and Trees from the dangerous wilds mod, to further flesh out the dwarf fortress environment.

NOTE: All the content in these has been used without permission, but the dangerous wilds mod developer, for example, has also included the works of other in their own modifications in the past. As an open and supportive mod community exists, I believe that reinventing the wheel is a pointless thing to do. All my work here is also useable by other modifications. If anyone wants to use them, be my guest!

Unless anything glaring come sup, this will be the only release of the mod. Ill have my hands full if the new version doesn’t change some of the issues in this version!

Installation:

Copy the entire contents of either the expanded or original folder into your dwarf fortress directory, and overwrite all files.

You will then need to generate a new world, or download the save provided below.

PS: Generating a large world can take a LONG time. It can take up to 50 minutes, on a machine with a single hyperthreaded 3ghz processor. Dwarf fortress may seem to crash - but its only sorted out important events. let it run!

Feedback and comments are welcome!

Thanks to –  Deon, for providing help in the past while I was learning to mod about a year back.
                    Hishan, for testing, looking over stuff, and submitting cool ideas.
                    Numerous metal bands that kept me sane at four in the morning.
                    Creators of any mods featured in the expanded version!

DOWNLOAD -

Release 1 : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=984
Pregenerated World: Im having trouble uploading the file due to bandwidth issues. I'l upload it as soon as i can!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:37:08 pm by Deathbane »
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Age of Heroes Mod : Release 1
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:07:09 pm »

It seems i found the only remaining error.

In the expanded version, the tower husk is missing form plant matgloss.

This can be fixed by either rdownlaoding the fixed version, or pasting

Code: [Select]

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:TOWERHUSK] //Original idea by Hishan, refined by me!
[TILE:5][COLOR:6:0:1]
[NAME:tower husk][NAME_PLURAL:tower husks]
[GROWDUR:2400][VALUE:3]
[DRINK:dwarven absinthe:2:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:5]
[THREAD]
[SEEDNAME:tower husk spawn][SEED:7:0:0]
[GENPOWER:4]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:hallucinogenic properties]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]

into mat_gloss plant and saving the file. This will require a new world regen if you used the non fixed version. Sorry about that folks.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

World nearly done generating, then ill upload it. It goes all the way until 1050 thanks to the new balances.

I hope the megabeasts in particular are fixed, and more 'megabeastly' than standard df to suit peoples tastes.

Ive found they can cause problems for any fort now.

For those who havnt had a look at the raws, here is a typical dragon in the AOH mod for you!

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:DRAGON]
[NAME:dragon:dragons:draconic]
[TILE:'D'][COLOR:2:0:0]
[MODVALUE:50]
[DRAGONFIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][TRAPAVOID]
[FANCIFUL]
[MEGABEAST]
[FLIER]
[STOUT]
[GENPOWER:5]
[FREQUENCY:5]
[PETVALUE:10000]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:50]
[BONECARN][PET_EXOTIC][MOUNT_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[NOFEAR]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[CAN_LEARN]
[PREFSTRING:terrible majesty]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_REAL:ORGANS_REAL:QUADRUPED_SKELETON_REAL:NECKJOINT:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:THROAT:BRAIN:MOUTH:2WINGS]
[BODYGLOSS:CLAW_FOOT]
[SIZE:70]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:60:80:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:claw:claws:50:60:SLASH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:TAIL:whip:whips:50:60:BLUDGEON]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:40:60:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[FAT:10]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[SPHERE:FIRE]
[SPHERE:WEALTH]
[CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM]
  [DAMBLOCK:50]

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:24:49 pm »

Wait...  How do you get wood from the Tower Husk?  Reaction?

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:26:24 pm »

well... i've gened like 4 worlds now, and no dwarves so far. <.<;; am i missing something or dumb luck?

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

Dumb luck, the world i just genned, and have been trying to upload has lots of dwarven civs!

If you gen a large world, your more likely to get dwarven civs. The smaller the world, the more likely the stronger megabeasts will really decimate small towns.

And yes, its a reaction. You smelt 3 husks and get one log. You can either brew them OR make them into wood - but not both.

It might have to wait until tommorow for me to put the pregenerated up. Somethingis throttling my bandwidth tonight on my isps end.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:48:57 pm by Deathbane »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:23 am »

You say that all fanciful creatures are in. Does this include the wizards? Because I like wizard civs.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:45:55 am »

Going to download and try it now.
"It's unpossible!"

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 09:44:18 am »

I meant the creature sin creatures_fanciful. Wizards have been modded, but i didnt put them in as i couldnt find a logical way of doing it. You  can feel free to get dwarf companion and play as them, they have some nasty close range attacks. And they make good adventuring buddies!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:33:20 pm »

The fanciful creatures and stuff are there just so they can be engraved about, iirc, or at least they are in the regular raws.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »

Yup, but i thought it would be cool if those creatures could also actually appear, albeit rarely, in the game itself. So i fleshed them out, and put them in!

(EDIT: sorry, im the typo king)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:30:23 pm by Deathbane »

Fermii

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am The Stig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:41:18 pm »

This feels like vanilla DF, even though but it's not. It shall henceforth be known as Strawberry DF.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:49 am »

Pecan DF? Like vanilla, with small chunks of new flavour?
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 03:42:35 pm »

:D so true! Glad your enjoying the mod, if thats how it feels during play then its accomplished one of its goals!

d4nte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:34 pm »

Hi, enjoying the mod, but do you intend to update it so humans can perform all jobs (ie can't seem to create trap components atm, making pumps impossible unless merchants bring corkscrews).

Also, in the bowery, there are 2 listings for make arrows, and when I've created bows and arrows humans don't use them, instead waiting until I've created xbows and bolts.

Excellent mod so far, hope to see more in the near future :-)
Pages: [1] 2