Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quick question about creating an amphibious civ...  (Read 790 times)

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A quick question about creating an amphibious civ...
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »

If a creature has the [AQUATIC] tag, does that automatically make them unable to breath outside of water?
I want to make a civ that can survive both in and out of water, and just want to have some background knowledge before i get started.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about creating an amphibious civ...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »

It's kind of moot, either way; pathing issues cause civies in dwarf mode to act like they are neither aquatic, amphibious, nor fliers.  Also, amphibious makes a creature breath on land or water, not aquatic.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

Yes, [AQUATIC] will make them unable to breathe above water, try giving them [AMPHIBIOUS].
Also note, you won't be able to correctly play as that civ, thanks to current limitations in AI.

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 12:31:35 pm »

Yes, [AQUATIC] will make them unable to breathe above water, try giving them [AMPHIBIOUS].
Also note, you won't be able to correctly play as that civ, thanks to current limitations in AI.
Damn, really?
Oh well, someday then.

Well, off to make a sieging civ that automatically catches fire and dies when they enter the map. Oh joy, grass fires!  :D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:01:34 pm »

Damn, really?
Oh well, someday then.

Well, off to make a sieging civ that automatically catches fire and dies when they enter the map. Oh joy, grass fires!  :D
That could quite possibly be the most dangerous siege possible for a fort in the plains.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:10:23 pm »

Damn, really?
Oh well, someday then.

That could quite possibly be the most dangerous siege possible for a fort in the plains.

I once lost a fort in this manner. Fire imps set one of my dorfs on fire, on a plains map. The ensuing grass fire wiped out my remaining 6, as I had only just started building on a flat map. Fun.