Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Bows > Everything?  (Read 5546 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bows > Everything?
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2009, 09:14:37 pm »

Well, it is just a matter of the integrity of the armour and the power of the bolt. Get a heavy enough bolt with a fine enough impact and a powerful enough draw and yes, a crossbow could project a bolt through thick steel. If the crossbow and bolt are both made of adamantine then it shouldn't be a problem. the bolt will be sturdy enough to dig into the armour and the string will be tough enough to handle the forces involved, it may take a while to load though...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2009, 11:52:53 am »

then it isnt an dwarven crossbow as they reload in a nano-sec.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:24 pm »

That is the result of superior dwarven know-how...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2009, 10:37:24 pm »

Well, I was reading about the TAC-15.  170 pound draw, twelve cranks to get recock it, and apparently it's powerful enough to go through deer and possibly bears.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »

Well, I was reading about the TAC-15.  170 pound draw, twelve cranks to get recock it, and apparently it's powerful enough to go through deer and possibly bears.

I hope this isn't Modern Crossbows your speaking of. We already established that Modern Crossbows are advanced enough to quite litterally be considered Armor Peircing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2009, 03:29:40 am »

Yea, but adamantine is the same as modern...
Read the First Post!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2009, 04:41:55 am »

Yea, but adamantine is the same as modern...

Adamantine is an impossible material that is near weightless and is nearly indestructable.

Modern Bolts weight more then an Adamantine Arrow.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:59 am »

I hope this isn't Modern Crossbows your speaking of. We already established that Modern Crossbows are advanced enough to quite litterally be considered Armor Peircing.
It is, unfortunately.  I just happen to think that one is cool.  And it seems to have to properties of a Dwarf Fortress crossbow.

Does anyone know how long it takes to wind up an old fashioned crossbow with a winch?  I hear long, but I don't know how long.
And the Dwarves seem to have figured out a way to do it faster.  Or they just use a goatsfoot.

Then again, walking all the way to the enemy can take most of a day, so I think it might be a case of Dwarven dimensional uncertainty.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 08:45:22 am »

due to the time it takes for a day to go in dwarf fort mode the dwarfs must be going in slow-mo and everything else too.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:12 am »

It is, unfortunately.  I just happen to think that one is cool.  And it seems to have to properties of a Dwarf Fortress crossbow.

Does anyone know how long it takes to wind up an old fashioned crossbow with a winch?  I hear long, but I don't know how long.
And the Dwarves seem to have figured out a way to do it faster.  Or they just use a goatsfoot.

Then again, walking all the way to the enemy can take most of a day, so I think it might be a case of Dwarven dimensional uncertainty.

Depends on the size of the crossbow and how strong you are. A good sized crossbow with a winch would take about six to ten seconds to draw back. A smaller one with a footrest instead of a winch, where you stick your foot in the footrest with the crossbow pointing down at the ground, then pull back on the crossbow to cock it, would take about five seconds to reload, but wouldn't do as much damage (Correct me if I'm wrong)
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

AxelDominatoR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2009, 10:13:18 am »

IIRC shields are known to be medium to greatly effective at blocking or deflecting bolts/arrows.

Especially thick wooden ones, covered with leather, can effectively stop a shot ( heavy arrows usually ARE capable of piercing through the wood, but then the wood and the leather would press up on the sliding arrow, braking it. Arrows would probably be stopped after 10 or 20 cm, if able to pierce at all. A crossbow bolt, instead, would probably surpass the shield, but being at the same time decelerated to such a speed that any decent armor would be able to sustain the damage. An heavy crossbow would maybe then still be able to inflict wounds, trepassing both shield and armor, but that would be the case *only* on a perfect shot, directed perpendicular to the shield/armor.

A plate armor, on the other side, should alone be able to deflect an arrow or bolt if the direction of the shot is not almost perfectly perpendicular to the armor surface, just like a stone jumping on water.

Many variables to consider.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:16:39 am by AxelDominatoR »
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009, 11:52:51 pm »

A plate armor, on the other side, should alone be able to deflect an arrow or bolt if the direction of the shot is not almost perfectly perpendicular to the armor surface, just like a stone jumping on water.

Many variables to consider.
Thats why dwarfs put spikes on everything. Enough spikes on your plate mail, and theres no way a bolt/arrow can penetrate your armor! Though you shouldn't be able to move afterwards, its so dwarven it has to work!
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:59 am »

I wouldn't always rely upon spikes, surely you will never have enough to counter The Ultimate Iron Bolt...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]