Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bows > Everything?  (Read 5548 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Bows > Everything?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:39 am »

"Averted in the popular roguelike Dwarf Fortress, as arrows are actually some of the most powerful weapons in the game, particularly in the more traditional "Adventure Mode", due to a combination of the AI's ability to see across several screens, the relative cheapness of arrows, and the utterly hideous damage they can do. Dwarf Fortress simulates damage very realistically, with a detailed system for injured organs and bones. Since arrows deal piercing damage, it's almost a certainty that serious damage will result from an arrow hit anywhere on the body, ranging from shattered bones all the way up to an instant-kill headshot or lung piercing."

Hehe, cool.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:52 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »

Wow, I think it's hilarious and awesome that there's a crossbow upper receiver for the AR-15.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 06:27:25 pm »

Just so everyone knows, every arrow/bolt that hits is equal to a spear strike.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 02:50:38 pm »

Just so everyone knows, every arrow/bolt that hits is equal to a spear strike.
A spear is slightly better. Also, spears are better due to the fact they have an actual skill.

EDIT: Technically bolts and arrows, DO, have a skill, but that's only for accuracy and skill if i remember.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:52:23 pm by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 03:21:48 pm »

Arrows and Bolts however do recieve a nice damage bonus of like 100 (meaning throwing arrows is quite effective)

Anyhow the Spear's weakness is it will pretty much always get stuck and that it is two handed. It is the only reason why Arrows are clearly better then spears. (That and stuck arrows often make enemies waste a turn)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 04:13:42 pm »

Arrows and Bolts however do recieve a nice damage bonus of like 100 (meaning throwing arrows is quite effective)

Anyhow the Spear's weakness is it will pretty much always get stuck and that it is two handed. It is the only reason why Arrows are clearly better then spears. (That and stuck arrows often make enemies waste a turn)
Spears are one handed. You mean pikes. ( Though pikes are useless unless made of adamantine...And they're not usable by dwarves so it's moot ) Also, getting stuck is an effective way of finishing off opponents...Assuming it's a duel. If it's not a duel, get a hammerdwarf or swordsdwarf.

You got to remember, you can make someone bleed to death by twisting the spear ( It usually knocks them unconcious as well ) besides. Spears are not meant to take tons of enemies. I use mine to take lone targets. Bolts and Arrows are good. But they're finite. And it's not a good plan to send a marksdwarf of high skill out for very long at all if you value his life...
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »

it's not a good plan to send a marksdwarf

I was speaking in a Adventurer mode context... seeing as this is the Adventure mode discussion :D

Plus while your "Twisting" the spear the Arrow can get its likely multiple organ shot again! (which becomes likely if the first shot hit)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:44:25 pm by Neonivek »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2009, 02:54:00 am »

You do realize you can just take the spear right back out, right?

Ctrl+O I think. Don't remember.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 03:20:40 am »

You do realize you can just take the spear right back out, right?

Ctrl+O I think. Don't remember.

You should only attempt that after the enemy falls unconscious as it is a guarenteed success

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2009, 04:54:26 am »

There should be a chance for it to twist while being pulled, and to come out while being twisted...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2009, 06:47:13 am »

it's not a good plan to send a marksdwarf

I was speaking in a Adventurer mode context... seeing as this is the Adventure mode discussion :D

Plus while your "Twisting" the spear the Arrow can get its likely multiple organ shot again! (which becomes likely if the first shot hit)
It's the same thing, arrows and bolts are finite, and hard to come by in adventure mode ( You will inevitably run out, not a good town kiling weapon ), that's why the spear is better for being more reliable, where as range equipment should only be used in cases where there isn't a ton of units. On lone targets it's cool. But if you take on a group you will lose all of your ammo and get gang raped.

Bolts and arrows can be found in towns, but unless you're loaded or fancy taking on the entire town guard, you won't use them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »

Or just carry like 4 weapons.  A crossbow, two axes, and a hammer.  All good.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

Remember to sneak softly and carry a big boomstick.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »

So arrows and crossbow bolts can realistically pierce through one inch of steel or more? Remember the OP mentions super metal 14 times as strong as steel. I don't know why everybody keeps bringing up that this is realistic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5