Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bows > Everything?  (Read 5551 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Bows > Everything?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »

There were loads of tests where they did just that, and they deferr like hell, mostelly because the plate mail would be of poor making, or that the test simply wasnt realistic.

Truth is though, that only a very good bow with very good archer firing very good arrows could pierce plate mail far enough to cause lethal damage, and only when the arrow hit at an angle close to 90 degrees.
Crossbows could manage to kill a knight in armour, but again only if it hit at a favourable angle, only if the crossbowman used good bolts, and only if the crossbow were a heavy crank-wound one.
The crossbows from df are clearly not crank-wound, judging by the rediculous firing rate of any avarage crossbowwielder. That said, I hope that toady one will drastically decrease firing rate and lethalty of bows and crossbows in the next version, but in the mean time, does anyone know a way to mod down the firing rate?

Also, about the adventurer thing, I allways kill the ranged guys first whilsts sneaking with throwing axes. Throwing axes are awesome, dismembering from a distance! That, and it doesnt break your sneakyness. Somehow.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »

df crossbows shoot with speed of Chinese repeating crossbow (all you do is work a lever to shoot it)
and the power of metal Windlass crossbow.

maybe differt type of crossbow can be added as new weapons i.e. repeating can shoot more qicky(mag?) has less power(low crits?) and range.
heavy shoots slowy but has longer rage and more power(higer crits as bolt go's in deeper?).

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 03:27:22 pm »

The power in crossbows when it comes to Dwarf Fortress, is the critical boost, and the firing speed, that is the potential for: Two-Three organs a shot, from long range, a shot a turn. And if you get two mangled lungs ( Or heart or throat. ) you're dead. That or a broken spine, or brain, both eyes, or just one organ ( Due to the high risk of going unconcious ).  May Armok help you if you are facing a perfectly agile archer.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 03:54:03 pm »

Lemme dump my frustration here too. Got a nice new adventurer, no insane skills or equipment but still enough go murder everyone in a town...
I was just walking away from the house where had just butchered a axe armed guard, when a (after a proper introduction") legendary marksman started sending bolt's my way from the other side of a river.
I quickly ran into the home, got the axe from the guard and threw it at the marksman, beheading him cleanly. and just as i was thinking, "awesome!" a SECOND LEGENDARY MARKSMAN POPPED OUT FROM NOWHERE AND KILLED ME IN ONE SHOT.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »

Yeah Bows and Crossbows seem to hit much more often as well... oddly...

The part where it breaks from reality is one inept crossbowman has a greater chance to hit you then 8 swordsmen surrounding you. (The 8 Swordsmen will probably die from counter-attacks)

May or may not be true (I am inclined to say it is true) but it does feel like it a lot of the time.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 04:19:23 pm »

At higher level, legendary wrestlers avoid crossbows (re: Nist Akath). In fact, I think Captain Ironblood is probably invulnerable.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »

Yeah Bows and Crossbows seem to hit much more often as well... oddly...

The part where it breaks from reality is one inept crossbowman has a greater chance to hit you then 8 swordsmen surrounding you. (The 8 Swordsmen will probably die from counter-attacks)

May or may not be true (I am inclined to say it is true) but it does feel like it a lot of the time.
Nevermind that, i can face probably twenty wrestlers on my main character in my adventure world, and eight swordsmen, at the same time. Yet one bowman, no matter how crappy. Always, gets the better of me. It's ridiculous, my armour is pretty good ( Alot better than the starting stuff at least )
, and i have a HUGE armour and shield skill. Yet one shot. Bam. I'm dead, and the same thing happened to my full steel wearing legendary wrestler as well in Fortress mode. One hit. BAM. Both lungs and heart pierced. Talk about realism...
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »

Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:54 pm »

Umm... Yeah.  Lots of fun.  Liked the longboats better.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:34 pm »

from what i recall longbows owned in aoe 2 its totally diffrent from now.

shouldnt like bow have longer range less damage and crossbow lower and higher damage?
is dwarfs ever gonna get bows or just always crossbows?

too many questions, sorry if it bothers anyone.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 04:01:28 am »

This could be resolved with more variables that determine damage dealt. Since that is coming soon, as in next version soon, the possibility exists that they will be severely nerfed.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:39 am »

As long as we don't get this. Note the Dwarf Fortress example on that page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnnoyingArrows
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 06:35:45 am »

shouldnt like bow have longer range less damage and crossbow lower and higher damage?

Well a weakness of the Crossbow is that Arcs are nearly impossible.

It may not sound much but good luck shooting over cover at a feasable distance with the crossbow, it simply isn't effective.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:58 am »

Or... You know... Take cover yourself?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5