Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175673 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1035 on: December 04, 2009, 12:37:46 am »

Oh, yeah, that's another one for my YASD file: choking to death on a dragon in ludios.

Prepared, am I? I'm so prepared I have ACID RESISTANCE. I don't think there was an intrinsic I was missing that I could get easily-
Spoiler: what's not easily? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to useful things. I e'en had someone message me about burden ("Gangway!") on way down in gehennom (Something puerile like "don't go burdened noob") (I didn't hit strained until well on way up-and dropping the bags gets me down to normal)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 05, 2009, 04:30:10 am »

Arg, I keep getting this annoying bug ever since I wiped my computer.
All rooms look like this:

the top and bottom walls aren't there, same goes for the floor tiles. Is there any way I can fix this?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 05, 2009, 06:09:28 am »

Arg, I keep getting this annoying bug ever since I wiped my computer.
All rooms look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the top and bottom walls aren't there, same goes for the floor tiles. Is there any way I can fix this?

Try turning off IBMGraphics... I'll go find the exact line you need to modify and edit this post.

Edit: In defaults.nh, find this line:

OPTIONS=IBMGraphics

And put a "#" in front of it like this:

#OPTIONS=IBMGraphics
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:14:20 am by kcwong »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 05, 2009, 07:57:11 am »

Works, thanks. I can finally play properly.  :)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 06, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »

Tourist died to a magic missilewand inth emines...sigh.

This monk shows promise. -4, a few spells...

ARGH. AC-2, gaunts of power, helm of brilliance (though I didn't know it-was +0), boots of speed... a magic lamp, identified wands of teleport and polymorph...YASD.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:23:07 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 08, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »

I accuse the Air Elemental, in the Gnome King's Winecellar, with the Debris! :'(
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDo you want your possessions identified?
Tilesets

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 17, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »

is nobody else interested in this game? bsurd wishes available. I'll be surprised if I don't ascend this one...but then, I have been killed by Famine once.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:51:58 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »

Keep us updated more than that, geeze.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »

I'm still playing NetHack... but I found out that I have no idea how to deal with situations after entering the sanctum.

I played many characters past the bottom of Gehennom, and all of them died on the way back up, due to various reasons. The biggest problem is being cursed too much. Then I'll be out of holy water, all my unihorn cursed, and then stunned. Then got killed in combat as I painfully fight the mysterious force.

So now I have a lawful valkyrie, slowly mapping out the whole of Genhennom and digging walls, to better prepare for the mysterious force. I'll also need to carefully examine my gears for the way up.

I also found that I rely on my Excel spreadsheet a lot - for keeping whereabouts of dungeon features (like altar, sink, water source, shops, etc.) and my stash locations, as well as my current mission notes (since I may stop playing for a few days). That makes me play less (and less seriously) on my smartphone, where task switching and spreadsheet are not as convenient as on desktop.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 18, 2010, 12:07:54 am »

Keep us updated more than that, geeze.
No, the Famine death...died. Accidentally poly'd the main BoH right before Rodney, losing about 5 WoDs as well as the usual stuff. (The f'mine de'th w's good, got to astral after all...lacked artiweap is really it, before the stupid poly. was..barbarian.)

This one found two wands of wishing (and a "oLS used shortly after first since I was low HP), four MLamps, two mrkers...
Presently have seven wishes to spare, -44AC, quest done, and haven't gotten to castle yet (which will furnish 6 more, presumably), all of kit but the artiwep and HoOA...but many genned, so can't wish for it so well. +7 fixed flail is doing well enough for now.

Still no stormy though, grr...might go with Firebrand for planes, if I must, most banes, Fiery, and the elfsticks gifted.
(pri elf cha fem)

KCwong: main way to avoid curses is wield Magicbane(stops 95% of 'em). But, really if you ha'e HW, you use it on the scrolls of remove curse-B?oRC uncurses all of main inventory.

Wand of cncel works for the BoH and anything you don't care about plusses or (mgical) charges...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:09:46 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 18, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »

I'm still playing NetHack... but I found out that I have no idea how to deal with situations after entering the sanctum.

I played many characters past the bottom of Gehennom, and all of them died on the way back up, due to various reasons. The biggest problem is being cursed too much. Then I'll be out of holy water, all my unihorn cursed, and then stunned. Then got killed in combat as I painfully fight the mysterious force.

So now I have a lawful valkyrie, slowly mapping out the whole of Genhennom and digging walls, to better prepare for the mysterious force. I'll also need to carefully examine my gears for the way up.

I also found that I rely on my Excel spreadsheet a lot - for keeping whereabouts of dungeon features (like altar, sink, water source, shops, etc.) and my stash locations, as well as my current mission notes (since I may stop playing for a few days). That makes me play less (and less seriously) on my smartphone, where task switching and spreadsheet are not as convenient as on desktop.

I'm still rooting for ya KC.

I'm thinking of maybe trying another game, but it's been so long.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 18, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »

Anyone want to recommend a build for me, in the case I do try to get back into Nethack for old time's sake?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 19, 2010, 01:45:10 am »

Barbarians and vlks get simple early games, as do Samurai.

Just don't do tourists, they're kinda tricky to start.
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 19, 2010, 01:48:48 am »

By 'recommend', what I actually meant was 'suggest'. I don't care what I do, as I've already ascended three times. Once with a tourist, mind you.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 19, 2010, 01:55:00 am »

Well, you're ahead of me then. Polymorph into a woodchuck and ne'er lookback? Do a Knight-spellcaster? Ask rodney for a conduct?

On the side, NAO's been surprising. December had the speed-ascs cut down to 2508 turns.
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 128