Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175742 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #930 on: August 26, 2009, 06:01:42 am »

Found two scroll of genocide from the bone stash... the wizard probably started with them. So L and R are wiped out.

Cleared front half of castle and got the /oW. It only has 1 charge, but fortunately I already identified scroll of charging.

I cannot find Fort Ludios, but raided all the MMV between DL11 and Medusa, and got 9 points of protection, giving me -18 AC with lots of room for improvement. I found a pair of water walking boots, so moving forward would not be a problem, but I really want those resistances between the holes.

I still need disintegrate, free action and levitation... pondering about my wishes now...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:20 am »

Don't you have dragon scale mail already?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 26, 2009, 06:47:05 am »

Not yet, my pet silver dragon is still alive and well... I only have two pieces of "permanent" armor, speed boots and cloak of MR, and they are the only armor pieces I enchanted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:30 am »

Don't you have the ammy of reflection?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:22 am »

Yes, but I would not risk polymorphing my pet again... it'd probably die of system shock. Besides, any dragon scale mail is good for the superb AC and light weight.

Since I already have cloak of MR and Magicbane (I intend to use it with a silver saber), it would be nice to get a silver dragon scale mail so I can put on some other amulets, like ESP or Life-saving. Actually, I think I have a cursed helmet of telepathy back on DL5... so probably Life-saving.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:34 am »

Couldn't you get the scales from the guaranteed dragons in the castle? There's 4 of'em you know, and I think scales are a 1/3 drop.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:27 am »

Yes I can... maybe I'll get a yellow one for acid resistance. I have a shield of reflection if I choose not to dual-wield. Though unless I wish for levitation, those dragons would be out of my reach for now.

Earlier I said I'd use my pet dragon's scale because I just didn't expect it to live for so long, fighting all those sergeants, giants and zruties.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 26, 2009, 11:17:25 am »

blessed Magic marker then.

Write a scroll of earth, cover the two trapdoors that lead to the dragons, kill the dragons, get the scales, write a scroll of enchant armor, turn it to scale mail, and then use the rest of the magic marker for whatever you want. I'd recommend more scrolls of enchant armor after you've written another scroll of charging.

For levitation, you MIGHT find something in Gehennom. There's tons of items down there, and you really don't need levitation until the plane of air anyhow. So save a wish until you come up to it is what I suggest, as you might find something, and if not, then you'll have the wish to bail you out.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 26, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »

blessed Magic marker then.
I already got one from the bone stash... I used it to write a scroll of earth on Medusa.

Write a scroll of earth, cover the two trapdoors that lead to the dragons, kill the dragons, get the scales, write a scroll of enchant armor, turn it to scale mail, and then use the rest of the magic marker for whatever you want. I'd recommend more scrolls of enchant armor after you've written another scroll of charging.
So I can save my wish for later... and avoid banging my head on the wall if I find another ring of levitation 100 turns later.

I already got some enchant armor scrolls stocked up in my stash... because there's a huge book shop on DL6 that I cleared out with my pet dragon. :D

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 27, 2009, 12:10:58 am »

I went back to my stash - to grab all the scrolls and wands I want. Then I went to Oracle level and dip the useless scrolls, and received a wish!

I would normally go for a dragon scale at this point... since I'm still wearing a suit of unenchanted dwarvish mithril.

But I'm fully capable of handling the dragons in castle level.

However I forgot to write down what types they are... -_-;

On the other hand, I already have amulet + shield of Reflection, Magicbane and cloak of MR, fire/cold/shock/sleep/poison resistances, making the dragon scale type irrelevant...

Then again, RNG might not grant me any dragon scales for the four dragons...

Arrrgggggghhhhhh!

Oh, wait, there's another choice. Ring of Free Action. An extrinsic so important, and I have yet to see one...

Or, I can wish for artifacts... being neutral, I can choose The Eyes of the Overworld. However there're already two artifacts generated - Magicbane, and Cleaver (found it on the ground). That's a 2/3 chance.

Edit:

I chose ring of free action. Other choices enhance my character, while without free action, I'm dead meat.

Cloak of MR and water walking boots fireproofed. Now I'm reading for my quest.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:42:50 am by kcwong »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:53 am »

Completed quest; I was two weaponing +1 Magicbane with +6 silver saber, and all opposition dies in 1 or 2 hits, including Lord Surtur.

Now I'm heading back to my stash on DL5 to altar camp a bit. I haven't camped at all, and I am hoping to get my hands on Grayswandir...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:03 am »

Castle cleared out.

An energy vortex revealed to me that I got crowned sometime earlier without me knowing. It seems I prayed for holy water at a rather late stage... that's the only time I prayed on an altar in this game.

I ended up with three sets of scales: blue, black and white. I used the black one, it seems the most beneficial out of the three.

Took a brief visit to Gehennom... dual wielding +1 Magicbane with +6 silver saber is very nice. Magicbane cancels and stuns, while the silver saber finishes the job.

I found a hawaii shirt, and a +0 visored helmet which seems to be helm of brilliance (casting chance doesn't drop).

My total AC is now -26, but I'm still wearing a pair of plain old leather gloves. Where are my magical gauntlets? I have seen a single pair!

Edit: I went back to stash and altar camp more.

Mojo, Firebrand and Werebane generated, and in the process, an elf lord dropped a pair of gauntlets of dexterity. I enchanted it, and now my total AC is -34, and have a stack of 9 +5 elven daggers for ranged support. Recharged magic marker once, and wrote another blessed charging. Magic marker has 11 charges left.

Now I'm only missing these in my AK:
Levitation
Potions of full healing for the tough battles ahead
Cursed potions of gain level (I only have a single uncursed)
Unholy water (not likely to find one)
More potions for holy water making

The single Wish from castle wand is not yet used.

I wouldn't mind another scroll of genocide to wipe out h too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:22:06 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 27, 2009, 08:50:03 am »

Why ring of free action? In all the times I've ascended, I've never even given that particular ring the time of day. Is the handful of paralyzing attacks it protects you from really worth an entire wish?

I'd have gone with... maybe a cursed magic marker, given the circumstance. If you have destroy armor ID'd, then you can read cursed confused destroy armor to fooproof your stuff, as they're ALOT cheaper to write than enchant armor, and you can reverse genocide any number of things.

Of course, this is just my guess for what would be the best in your given situation, as I don't have all pertinent information on hand. Plus, magic markers are just REALLY useful in alot of situations, as they're really flexible.

Of course, you can get that holy water from writing a blessed scroll of remove curse, and then dropping everything besides all your uncursed waters, then reading it whilst confused, and hoping you get some unholy water out of the deal.

Do you have all 9 divine protection?

And also, I'm not sure if you mentioned this already, but what class, race, and gender are you?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:05 am »

Why ring of free action? In all the times I've ascended, I've never even given that particular ring the time of day. Is the handful of paralyzing attacks it protects you from really worth an entire wish?

Potion of paralysis and stuff. With tough foes (e.g. minotaur) next to you that'd quite often be fatal. Free action is an essential part of AK, and it's going to be permanently worn on one of my ring fingers.

Of course, you can get that holy water from writing a blessed scroll of remove curse, and then dropping everything besides all your uncursed waters, then reading it whilst confused, and hoping you get some unholy water out of the deal.

I can get unholy water like that, without making my god angry? Time to hit Wikihack...

Do you have all 9 divine protection?

And also, I'm not sure if you mentioned this already, but what class, race, and gender are you?

Yes, all 9 points, from raiding all the MMVs and clearing out mine town. I still have 1.1K gold in my stash, and I still have two co-aligned priests alive... they are going to be useful when I'm running from Rodney and co.

Neutral human Valkyrie. Still female, and I hope she continues to be. ;)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:30 am »

I thought Valkyries were always lawful, just like knights...

But yeah, I'm pretty dang sure that you can get unholy water from the "read blessed confused remove curse with nothing but waters in your inventory" trick without angering your god. I got the info from the Confusion Page, although the Remove Curse page provides more info.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 128