Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175760 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #900 on: July 29, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »

Snake?  Snake??!  SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE.
If I ever pass out, this will totally make an appearance:
Snake: What? What the hell are you yelling about now!?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:34 pm »

Can't you tell I'm using this wand of sleep for some shuteye?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 29, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »

That's QUITE the clash of two completely different things! What the heck would Snake even be anyhow? A Rogue? A neutral Barbarian? A Neutral Human Ranger? It's not something I want to think about.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:19 pm »

That's QUITE the clash of two completely different things! What the heck would Snake even be anyhow? A Rogue? A neutral Barbarian? A Neutral Human Ranger? It's not something I want to think about.
Can Rogue be neutral, or am I stuck with chaotic?

Edit: Answer is no. Hmm.

Rangers get auto-searching, and stealth at level 7. Then see invis at 12, which is probably when Snake will get a Wand of Invisibility- I mean, Optic Camo.

I originally tried doing a Solid Snake run in IVAN. I assume I don't have to go into any details as to how well that worked...  :'(

Edit Edit: I just learned about Sting. That is awesome, but it's too bad it's not that great of an artifact anyway. Thanks WikiHack!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:34:33 pm by rickvoid »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 29, 2009, 08:49:46 pm »

I only feel that Snake should be human, NOT an Elf!

Sting is an absolutely terrible artifact, in many, MANY ways! It's only slightly stronger than an ordinary runed dagger, while taking up an entire artifact generation!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »

Sting is an absolutely terrible artifact, in many, MANY ways! It's only slightly stronger than an ordinary runed dagger, while taking up an entire artifact generation!

Well, at least it is easy to get... it's a useful property when you're trying the "ascend with all the artifacts I can get my hands on" challenge... :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 29, 2009, 09:13:47 pm »

Sting has another property, where you can only sell it for roughly 100 zorkmids, while trying to buy it back will cost you ~10,000 zorkmids! That's crazy!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »

Sting has another property, where you can only sell it for roughly 100 zorkmids, while trying to buy it back will cost you ~10,000 zorkmids! That's crazy!

Well, it is just a glowing wooden dagger. Whoopie.  ;D

And yes, Snake will be a Neutral Male Human Ranger.
I'm going to have fun putting Wands, Rings, Amulets, Scrolls, and Prayer into Snake terms. I already have ideas for a few of those.  ;D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 30, 2009, 01:00:16 am »

Well, at least it is easy to get... it's a useful property when you're trying the "ascend with all the artifacts I can get my hands on" challenge... :P

Ha, I thought about what it would take to get every single artifact in the game. It would probably entail being a tourist (both neutral and human), and pudding farming until one had a helm of opposite alignment, and 20-30 wands of wishing. The neutral artifacts would be easy enough, but you'd need the helm in order to get the cross-aligned role artifacts, so they won't evade your grasp when you wish for them, then you can just dump them in your bag of holding and using your PYEC to charge those wands of wishing you have.

Either that, or altar camping... Altar camping a WHOLE LOT...

It wouldn't be the craziest thing anyone's ever done, have you read about that one dude that supposedly spent a year polypiling for gems, even going as far as to have some pet giants to carry them all around for him, and then when he was almost ready to ascend he got attacked by Rodney, who dropped a potion of gain level, and he drank it without BUC checking it first, and it JUST SO HAPPENED to be cursed, and it sent him through the roof, into the Plane of Earth, without all the gems he had spent a year collecting. So yeah.

This is where I found the story, just to let you know:

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/DeathOnAStick

I don't know how I'd handle something like that, honestly.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 30, 2009, 01:53:57 am »

It would be nice if you realized how futile and pointless your actions were up to that point, but it seems he didn't learn his lesson.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 30, 2009, 03:20:40 am »

This is where I found the story, just to let you know:

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/DeathOnAStick

I don't know how I'd handle something like that, honestly.

ROFL!

It only took him 38 seconds to regain his composure, and he managed to ascend afterward. It is obvious that DeathOnAStick had a mind of steel. :P

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 30, 2009, 06:30:40 am »

I read about that.  I like collecting things in NetHack too!  Making little bases full of my stuff and what not.  Don't get too attached though...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »

I've made SOME progress, if you want to call it that.

Trying the throne, got jack squat.

Becoming desperate for an Altar, I took a cockatrice corpse and stoned the minetown priest, accepted the penalties for murder, and just converted that one.

Finally, I have some holy water! I bless my tinning kit, touchstone, luckstone, and my scrolls of identify. Using those scrolls, I manage to ID some of my other scrolls, and I find I have charging, destroy armor, and enchant armor, three great scrolls to have ID'd. Then I bless and read a book, so now I'll have on demand confusion in 20,000 turns.

I also found some speed boots, water walking boots, and gauntlets of dexterity.

I'm thinking that my wishlist will be something like:

Magicbane
Orb of detection (MR, telepathy, half spell damage, and invisibility, but I'm torn as to whether I should get the sceptre instead)
2 cursed scrolls of genocide (Both ID's genocide AND can be used to get scales, provided I don't get it from the gauranteed dragons first, then I'll get these blessed instead)
cursed magic marker (confused cursed destroy armor is the most cost effective method of fooproofing my armor, not to mention the benefits of cursed genocide)
blessed magic marker (it's always great to have another!)
?hawaiian shirt? (having a complete set of armor is nice, but I may want to hold out in case the need for something else arises...)
?wand of death? (Fighting the quest nemesis mano a mano is certain death, since he has the tsurugi of muramasa, which can dole out one hit kills, so if I don't have a method of OHKO'ing him by the end of the quest, then this may certainly be on my list)
?astral cockatrice corpse? (I'm hooked!!!)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 31, 2009, 12:59:20 am »

Magicbane
After my last valkyries' death, I kept thinking: How do you cope with curses when you're going for non-neutral, genocide-less and wishless? Which means, you have no Magicbane to block curses and lots of curses will be thrown in your direction.

You are going to need huge stacks of holy water, since the stronger liches teleport and move between levels with you, plus there's always Rodney. And that would be a very heavy load.

I can only think of uncursing less... let your armor stay cursed. The only things you really need to uncurse is your unihorn, BoH, and perhaps rings and amulets, right? If you don't switch weapon and are not using 2-handed ones, I think you can let them stay cursed too without much ill-effect. That way you can conserve your stack of holy water, and only uncurse when you arrive at Astral.

?astral cockatrice corpse? (I'm hooked!!!)
Go for a half-eaten one. It rots just like a non-eaten one but weighs less.

Edit:
While absolutely unworthy of a wish, an apron is great tool if you can find one early on. It's always an alchemy smock, which gives you MC1, acid and poison resistance. That allows you to eat acidic and poisonous corpses without ill effects, giving you more sources of intrinsics.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:09:04 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 31, 2009, 01:23:09 am »

Well I'm not going for those three particular conducts Kc, and of course I know the 'correct' way to wish for a cockatrice corpse is a "blessed greased fixed partly eaten chickatrice corpse".

Of course, if you want to avoid cursing in those circumstances, you can take advantage of the fact that the cursing attack is a close range attack, meaning they have to be right next to you for it to work. So one can abuse this by using Elbereth to scare Liches away, fast speed and long range attacks, wands of teleportation for momentary comfort, and the fact a very common lawful artifact, the sunsword, will deal MORE damage to a Lich than Grayswandir will, because it deals 1d12 x2 damage to large monsters instead of the 1d8 x2 that Grayswandir does, so you can use that to kill them faster.

You can also use what I like to call the "Stair Trick" in order to trap following/teleporting monsters, particular Rodney, into not running away. It's simple, stand on the down stairs to a level, and when they're next to you, go down, and hopefully YOU'LL be on the upstairs, and because their programming tells them to retreat to the upstairs, they'll be stuck because they can't get to the upstairs. Use this trick to kill them as quickly as possible.

Also, while it may not be a viable trick, cancelling spellcasting monsters will prevent them from using the cursing attack, IIRC.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 128