Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175767 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #870 on: July 28, 2009, 03:22:42 pm »

I HATE CURSED HELM OF NONALIGNMENT.  Nothing gets the damn thing off.

Anyway, my journey will continue soonish.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 28, 2009, 03:25:56 pm »

Well, fortunately for me, I managed to pray and got the helmet uncursed. I took it off and placed it in my stash, for future use, because it MIGHT be useful in the future, particularly in the Astral Plane.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2009, 06:02:40 pm »

I always like to keep a notepad file of EVERYTHING important/could be important. It helps out alot, especially if you screw up and get your brain sucked out.

Here's what I had for my most recent ascension, a 5 conduct Monk (note: could contain spoilers for deeper levels):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just thought I would take the opportunity to let you know, that that thing is bloody awesome.

I've considered making something similar for awhile, but been too lazy. With yours as a base, I intend to make a blank master copy for my little adventurers to use, complete with the wands, amulets, and books sub-categorized under their appropriate price levels.

It should also help me remember what I was doing if I must save and quit before I get murdered.  ;D

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2009, 06:21:11 pm »

I always like to keep a notepad file of EVERYTHING important/could be important. It helps out alot, especially if you screw up and get your brain sucked out.

Here's what I had for my most recent ascension, a 5 conduct Monk (note: could contain spoilers for deeper levels):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just thought I would take the opportunity to let you know, that that thing is bloody awesome.

I've considered making something similar for awhile, but been too lazy. With yours as a base, I intend to make a blank master copy for my little adventurers to use, complete with the wands, amulets, and books sub-categorized under their appropriate price levels.

It should also help me remember what I was doing if I must save and quit before I get murdered.  ;D

Thanks. I always keep a template, you can use this and make any alterations:

Spoiler: Template (click to show/hide)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 28, 2009, 06:22:42 pm »

<----- Is not worthy.

;D

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 28, 2009, 06:33:13 pm »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 28, 2009, 06:34:07 pm »

Was referring to the ginormous list.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 28, 2009, 06:35:48 pm »

I bet Sir Umiman beat NetHack without a list.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 28, 2009, 06:39:04 pm »

Pretty sure a lot of people have... not many of us would have the patience to do such a thing. xD

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:54 pm »

I bet Sir Umiman beat NetHack without a list.

And I bow to the awesomeness of his nethack-fu.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:03 pm »

The number one killer of fortresses is boredom, the equivilent to Nethack characters is impatience.

My favourite example of this is one of Marvins games. If you don't know who Marvin is, *smacks you*. Click this. In one of his games, he was trapped on the castle level. I think he bouldered himself in somewhere and if he left that spot he'd be killed. There was no way to get out of that level alive, so he spent tens of thousands of turns in that one spot killing monsters (somehow, I forget the layout of it all and the Ttyrec is lost) untill one dropped a cursed scroll of teleportation to get him out. Patience.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 28, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »

RUSH FORTH AND DIE.

Yes I know Champion Marvin.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:55 pm »

I made an XLS to store various convenient information, as well as a template sheet for my characters. I fill it in as I play, taking notes of locations of shops, fountains, MMV, sinks, Castle code, intrinsics gained, locations of levels and notes (e.g. "I angered the mine town guards" or "Mindflayer on M7"). I don't record item identifications though... that makes Mindflayer much less scary and I consider that to be too much cheating.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 28, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »

I've honestly never been mind flayed. The whole "a wave of psychic energy pours over you" message is one of the biggest dead giveaways of any monster in the game, and gives you more than enough time to ascertain where it is and how to prepare.

Not to mention that any number of escape items will save you 99% of the time in the off-chance that one actually manages to get close to you without you being able to Elbereth in advance.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 128