Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176070 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #795 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:47 am »

That's quite the typo! Not only accidentally wrote a letter, but an entire sentence!

But oh well, it doesn't matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:46 am »

Jeez, you finish Sokoban at level 4?

I'm usually 10 or 11 by the time I get to Sokoban.  Then again, I've never ascended...  Maybe I'll try letting my pet get all the kills this time.  I usually abandon it somewhere in the mines because I'm tired of waiting for it to catch up and I don't need it for BUC once I have an altar.

Also, must spirit-crushing defeat I've had in a while.  I had Sceptre of Might, SDSM, +3 jumping boots, lots of various +at least 1 regular equipment, all kinds of stuff.  Nothing could touch me, and I had just reached Minetown.  I was dominating.  Of course, I got arrogant.  I thought "I'm gonna ascend this time" and the RNG struck me down.  An extra button press in Sokoban had me running all the way back to Minetown to find a pickaxe(It was like the only thing I didn't have) and when I got back and started working I got hungry, didn't have any food, and had pissed off my god by killing peaceful dwarves for a pickaxe(It wouldn't give me a hostile one, so I had to just go for it).  I died in Sokoban, killed by a green elf, while unconscious from starvation, with food sitting behind a wall of carelessly placed boulders.  Fack.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:49:42 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 13, 2009, 01:47:06 am »

Well, I think it's pretty likely that the erroneous sentence is based on a single digit typo. Someone might have seen that mis-written damage value and then written their little blurb based on it.

Or the Angbanders are trying to sabotage Wikihack. All 12 of them could be doing it. Perhaps we should rally the troops?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:48:54 am by inaluct »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:47 am »

Jeez, you finish Sokoban at level 4?

I'm usually 10 or 11 by the time I get to Sokoban.  Then again, I've never ascended...  Maybe I'll try letting my pet get all the kills this time.  I usually abandon it somewhere in the mines because I'm tired of waiting for it to catch up and I don't need it for BUC once I have an altar.

Also, must spirit-crushing defeat I've had in a while.  I had Sceptre of Might, SDSM, +3 jumping boots, lots of various +at least 1 regular equipment, all kinds of stuff.  Nothing could touch me, and I had just reached Minetown.  I was dominating.  Of course, I got arrogant.  I thought "I'm gonna ascend this time" and the RNG struck me down.  An extra button press in Sokoban had me running all the way back to Minetown to find a pickaxe(It was like the only thing I didn't have) and when I got back and started working I got hungry, didn't have any food, and had pissed off my god by killing peaceful dwarves for a pickaxe(It wouldn't give me a hostile one, so I had to just go for it).  I died in Sokoban, killed by a green elf, while unconscious from starvation, with food sitting behind a wall of carelessly placed boulders.  Fack.

Remember Cthulhu, arrogance is your greatest enemy, and paranoia is your only friend in Nethack.

I didn't kill Demogorgon by being awesome, I did it through schizophrenic overpreparation, and using every resource at my command to guarantee victory.

Now, remember how my awesome tourist Tan got stoned a while back? That was disheartening, but my next tourist, Salt, got sweet sweet VENGEANCE! So don't give up, I hope to see you ascend one of these days.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 13, 2009, 04:08:40 am »

Does Alignment time out or something?  I didn't do anything wrong, and got shafted by Thoth when I prayed while fainting.

EDIT:  That's twice, Thoth is a douchebag.  If you refuse to save the life of a follower because he broke a mirror, you should probably be Chaotic, not Neutral.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:35:34 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 13, 2009, 04:52:07 am »

Does Alignment time out or something?  I didn't do anything wrong, and got shafted by Thoth when I prayed while fainting.

EDIT:  That's twice, Thoth is a douchebag.  If you refuse to save the life of a follower because he broke a mirror, you should probably be Chaotic, not Neutral.

I think if you get the god mad you need to mollify them before you can pray again. Also Neutral gods are ass holes, you should have gone Chaotic(or Lawful if possible)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 13, 2009, 07:33:00 am »

That's Bad Luck (in capital letters, i.e. the game term, not moody RNG) instead of negative alignment. You can't pray with either.

Alignment record doesn't time out; it comes from killing monsters that you should kill (i.e. almost all, except your alignment's unicorn, your pets, peaceful human for non-chaotic, etc.). The tougher the monster, the more alignment you can get out of it.

So usually you don't worry about alignment due to the large amount of monsters you kill, unless you did something you're not supposed to. Like a knight hitting a fleeing monster, archaeologist breaking a historical statue or a monk eating meat. Pacifist is an exception to this rule because they don't kill monsters.

Alignment record represents your relationship with your god; with bad alignment record you can't pray and can't do your class quest.

Bad Luck can co-exist with Good Luck; the sum of the two has an effect in a lot of things. Both can time out, unless you have a luckstone - a blessed one makes Good Luck never time out; a cursed one makes Bad Luck never time out; an uncursed one makes both Good Luck and Bad Luck stick with you. Many actions will change your luck, like breaking boulders or jumping in Sokoban or breaking a mirror.

Many actions will reduce both your luck and alignment.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:49 pm »

Leveling up as fast as you can allows very dangerous monsters to be generated while you're still lacking a good AC. After my first couple ascensions I started to let my pet get most of the earlier kills and my survival rate went way up. You won't have early encounters with those wands that often but you will always encounter lots of mumakil and leocrotta when you're not prepared for them if you level fast.

Mumaks and Leocrottas and Rothes are, actually, a primary cause of death for me so I'll have to look into this. 
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:31 pm »

I think if you get the god mad you need to mollify them before you can pray again. Also Neutral gods are ass holes, you should have gone Chaotic(or Lawful if possible)

The best wish artifacts are Neutral though.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

Mumaks and Leocrottas and Rothes are, actually, a primary cause of death for me so I'll have to look into this. 
Those are easy if you have a mirror, for some reason people dont seem to understand how useful of an item that is.

Soldier ants are mine, even if I do use a mirror they somehow get to me. :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 13, 2009, 07:23:04 pm »

My problem with Elbereth is that they always come after me as soon as I step off of it, and I only get one or two turns before it wears away because I don't have Magicbane yet.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 13, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »

My problem with Elbereth is that they always come after me as soon as I step off of it, and I only get one or two turns before it wears away because I don't have Magicbane yet.

The only thing I really don't like in the early game is writing Elbereth in the dust. The only way to really make sure you don't get attacked is to preemptively start writing it (before the monsters are actually within striking range) and write it every single turn to prevent it from wearing off.

My keyboard doesn't have te Insert key, so I can't copy/paste the commands to quickly Elbereth, nor can I figure out how to get Interhack to work, since then I could just ctrl+e to Elbereth in the dust quickly and easily.

Other then that, if you don't have a wand of fire/lightning but you find a wand of digging, remember you can use that to engrave Elbereth in the ground quickly at the cost of one charge. It's semi-permanent, but WAY better than dust writing. Also, you'll find a TON of wands of digging in the late game (mostly off minotaurs, which are tough, but rarely ever run away, so they never use them), so feel free to use them up in the early game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:48 pm »

The game finds new and exciting ways to humble me every time I play.

My samurai, that had killed Demogorgon, made it to the astral plane.

I made it to one altar, after two of the riders almost cornered me, and I pushed a boulder in front of the high temple entrance so they couldn't follow me in. Turns out, wrong altar, so I choose to wait and recuperate.

There just so happened to be a titan corpse in the temple, and I thought "Hey, I'm gonna be fighting Famine in just a bit, and I wouldn't mind being satiated." however, as I'm eating, I get the message "You have a hard time getting this down. Do you wish to stop eating?" however, I next to NEVER see this message, as I usually closely monitor my eating, and I apparently misread the message as "Do you wish to continue eating?" and I hit N.

You choke...

You die...

DYWYPI?

Put me in my damn place...

Also, it would seem Riders are capable of opening locked doors, I didn't know they could do that.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 13, 2009, 11:58:33 pm »

Good lord that is the stupidest Nethack death I've ever heard...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 14, 2009, 12:00:41 am »

I know... I'm so well-prepared for the hard stuff that the easy stuff slips under the radar...

Looks like I learned a lesson today, always press Y when eating.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 128