Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176103 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #690 on: June 28, 2009, 12:04:13 pm »

It's a room full of unseen monsters. He probably has intrinsic telepathy.

This is why I play Chaotic characters. The mysterious force is a damn bitch.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 28, 2009, 06:31:03 pm »

Wonderful progress!

I after fountain tricking myself some more holy waters (you can never have enough!) I poly'd up myself a:

-Ring of polymorph control
-Ring of teleport control
-another scroll of genocide!

Given the scroll of genocide, I changed my mind and genocided h. That'll be the last species of things I eliminate. Maybe.

Also, I got a cartoonishly large load of enchant armor scrolls. I'm saving some this time for when I'm able to confuse myself on command, but together with the couple thousand more zorks I poured into priest charity, I'm up to -43 AC. I have WAY too much money though, so I may pour more into priest charity.

Polying into a Vampire Lord is fun. Having -53 AC is great.

I used the spell "detect treasure" to find every vault in the main dungeon. Netted me alot of cash, too much cash, really. I'm disheartened that I didn't find Fort Ludios, I wanted to see what it looked like.

Great news though: I found the bones file of my previous tourist! How crazy is that?! He doesn't have much that I don't have already, but I took everything of value, including the Magicbane! It was cursed, but that's nothing a little holy water never fixed.

At around this time, a co-aligned unicorn started harassing me, I killed it and took the luck penalty. No big deal, right?

Got to the castle, and I found that mastermind is a really hard game to play.

Solution: put on a ring of levitation (in case I revert to a human at the wrong moment) and I float safely along the moat, to the other side of the castle, where the back door is! Haha!

The dragons were pitifully easy to defeat. The black one shot off a ray that disintegrated two of his buddies, and then I killed and ate the others. Disintegration resistance probably won't come in handy, but it's better than not having it.

The guaranteed throne didn't yield anything useful.

Something weird though, fighting through the castle, it seems that most of the castle was deserted. The barracks, the front hall, everything. I thought there was supposed to be tons of soldiers and stuff? Did they all jump to their dooms into the trap doors, or into the moat (I knocked the bridge down)?

Anyway, wand of wishing time! Got it, disappointed to find it only has 2 charges, no biggie though, I can get 3 more with my PYEC, and one last one can be wrested afterwards for 6 wishes in all. blessed greased fixed amulet of unchanging and blessed greased fixed ring of conflict. ID'ing them yielded me the info that they were given to me cursed. Turns out I had negative luck... DAMN YOU UNICORN! Anyway, more holy water fixes the problem. I even used my last holy water to bless the amulet of unchanging, because my survival is reliant on me being able to take it off at a moments notice.

I then poly'd into a Vampire Lord again, with 65 hp this time! The most I've gotten thus far. Amulet of unchanging is now on, and I'm going to go starting digging the path from the upstairs to the downstairs on every level, to prepare for my run towards glory!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:11 pm »

Also, I'm not familiar with the graphics template for Nethack, is that room full of scrolls?

Yeah, as umiman said, it's full of monsters. It's the tiles' way of displaying warning intrinsic.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 28, 2009, 08:03:12 pm »

As you can see Honest Abe there is having a wide assortment of feelings and emotions. I guess its that time of the month.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 28, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »

What do you mean CoD?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2009, 08:43:51 pm »

What do you mean CoD?
I was refering to the amulet of warning, the question marks are usualy called things like "a unseen monster causing you dispair" and there seems to be a rainbow of monsters causing all sorts of feelings in the pic.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:53 am »

I've completed digging out the necessary tunnels.

I realized the necessity of being human, so I allowed myself to transform back. Then I got one last point of AC from a priest with two donations. The amount of money I've dumped on that guy must be something like 40,000 zorkmids. Anyway, that makes a grand total of 9 AC of divine protection.

As my luck would have it, I found an amulet of unchanging off some random ape!

Then I found a wand of polymorph off an Elf while mining which if pretty awesome.

Then I realized (through the use of a wand of enlightenment) that my bad luck was staying with me because I was carrying around a luckstone (which prevents bad luck timeout) so I dropped it in a corner somewhere, then went around to gather supplies for another polypile party, just to see if I could get anything good.

First batch, Ring of conflict! Argh! Darn you RNG! You mock me so!

Didn't really get anything good.

I went back down to Mine's End to pick up all the gems that I left behind the first time. Might as well increase my score as much as possible.

I fought an Aleax that had been there when I first visited, and he dropped a shield of reflection. I could've gotten reflection from that jerk instead of blowing a wish on SDSM!

The SDSM IS really good though, and I probably couldn't have taken him.

Anyway, I found that I finally forgot some of my spells. So I confused myself and read one of my uncursed scrolls of enchant armor to fix the burn damage on my robe (as it had been burnt earlier) and made it fireproof as well. I'll save the others for when I really need them.

Now I'm just waiting for my bad luck to wear off so I can pray and get more holy water, which I may very well need in Gehennom.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 29, 2009, 03:18:14 pm »

Double posting powers!

Let's see, I got it in my head to take the excess rings that I polymorphed, then polymorph myself into a rust monster and eat the rings to get more intrinsics.

Great success! While I ate (and wasted) two amulets of magical breathing and got nothing, I ate a ring of teleport control and got intrinsic teleport control.

I then ate my tinned tengu corpses and got teleportitis, free teleports forever, AND controlled teleports.

Sacrificing some monsters to expediate the waiting process, I'm finally able to make the necessary holy potions and blank scrolls.

I wish for a Blessed magic marker and I get myself 4 scrolls of gold detection in preparation for the planes.

3 more wishes left in the wand.

I change my mind again and use up the last of my scrolls of enchant armor to fireproof all my stuff, as I hear that there's alot of fire traps in Gehennom and I don't want to have to stop to try to fix my stuff when I'm in mortal danger. Also, I get my elven shield up to +7 enchantment! I now have -48 AC.

I poly'd into a Vampire Lord, locked it in, and headed back down to the castle with -58 AC and 60 HP.

Flying down one of the trapdoors... oh, hey, I FOUND ALL THE SOLDIERS! Ring of conflict on and nothing is really able to hurt me so now I just need to plow through these guys and get down through Gehennom.

I have magicbane as my holstered weapon, so I can switch to it quickly in case I ever need the protection against curses.

I'm excited. I almost did a really stupid thing though by attacking an Ochre jelly, turns out it's passive acid attack is still really damaging. I killed it, but I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 29, 2009, 05:59:23 pm »

Stupidity kills more players the Rodney.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 30, 2009, 12:54:02 am »

I finally did it guys! I finally ascended! It was great!

I took a bunch of pictures of my final stats, given that I don't have a dumplog, so I'll show you my final stats.

Gehennom was nice, provided that I had to kill a lot of stuff that stood no chance against me. Vlad was easy, as the rumors told.

Wizard of Yendor never got a single action off on me, as I zapped him with one of my Wands of Death each time he appeared.

Those priests are tough! Even with conflict, I was just slugging it out with them for like 10 minutes.

I got pulled down a good couple times, but I finally made it out of Gehennom with the Amulet.

The planes weren't that hard, with conflict and confused gold detection, I only need to find the portal, and run there as fast as I could while making sure I don't miss anything vital in all the mountains of spam.

Astral Plane was a trip. Up until that point I had gone through Gehennom and up the planes as a Vampire Lord. Nothing really posed a threat. I took the path that Death was on first, and he almost OHKO's me! Fortunately, I remembered to take off my amulet of unchanging, and his next hit knocks me back to human-hood. He had surprisingly little HP, so a few good whacks knocked him out and I slowly make my through the crowds of enemies (and Death zapping a crazy barbarian that had a +8 vorpal blade!) only to find that it was the wrong altar. Making my way back (and using confused create monster to acid blob up the path), I took another path, this time with Famine, and quickly wand of death'd a path for myself, and got through, and found my Altar!

Results:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:17:16 am by chaoticjosh »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:05 am »

Congrats. Welcome to the club. Please help yourself to the cookies over there and don't touch the were-jackal.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:20 am »

Were you able to edit your status on the poll in this thread?  Doesn't seem like it changed.

Edit:
 :'(

I just had a great wizard!  He started with a ring of teleport control!  I had a cursed magic lamp, and water was already identified!  Then I ran into a leprechaun hall, which I didn't know existed.  I probably should have checked the wiki for advice.  Long story short, I thought, "hey, my dude is hungry, and I have teleport control, why not eat these leprechauns?"  At some point one dug a hole in the ground with a wand.  To make matters worse, one of the corpses was tainted and I had recently prayed to stave off starvation  :-\

The end.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:57:46 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:32 pm »

I'm not able to change my choice in the poll. It looks like it's locked.

Corpses don't start off tainted Legolord, you have to create the corpse, then wait ~50 turns for it to become tainted.

I'm trying a game on NAO, an elven wizard. Doing pretty swell.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 30, 2009, 01:44:54 pm »

Corpses don't start off tainted Legolord, you have to create the corpse, then wait ~50 turns for it to become tainted.
Yeah.  The fight with the leprechauns took awhile.  I thought it was fresh.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:02 pm »

Be warned though, zombie and mummy corpses always start tainted, unless you use a tinning kit.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 128