Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176118 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #675 on: June 26, 2009, 10:00:17 pm »

I now have a dwarf pet named urist.
You can tame dwarves?

You can tame just about anything thats not human. Some things require being leveled down though.

Anyway I accidently killed urist while I was blind :(. At least quesaquatle is molified now. I think Im going back up from dwarf town(that is now a ghost town).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 26, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »

I've recently killed Medusa (turned the bitch to stone yeah!) and I found a potion of gain level, which accelerated me to level 14, and now I'm on the quest. I've finally decided to ditch my Titan by locking him in an empty room. I hope that turns out alright.

The quest has a surprising number of cool things attached to it. It has multiple shops, barracks, and graveyards! After killing many soldiers, I finally got a bugle (yes! an instrument!). The shops didn't really have anything of value unfortunately.

However, luring the many wraiths to non-graveyard levels has skyrocketed me to level 19! Also, found a normal silver saber, I'll bring that along if I want to dual wield that with Grayswandir. I'll be the bane of demons everywhere!

I found a scroll of genocide, which I promptly blessed and used. DIE c DIE! I know L is dangerous, and that h is fearsome, but only c makes me quake in terror at how a single mistake might end my journey in it's tracks. I'll write more scrolls once I have my PYEC and charged up my marker. Then I'll wish for more if I have to. I'm so happy that nothing can stone me any more! SO SO HAPPY!

I found a spellbook of finger of death, but I'm not really interested in it (as my tourist would have no chance of casting such a high level spell) and so I left it where it lay.

Lastly, I found a ring of teleport, and thinking things over, I'm adding the following items to my wish-list:

-blessed greased fixed ring of polymorph control
-blessed greased fixed ring of teleport control
-blessed greased fixed ring of conflict

I'm serious, I want that ring of polymorph control. Poly'ing into a vampire lord is flipping awesome. They get like 3 attacks every turn, fly, have an extra 10 natural AC, have magical breathing (CAN'T DROWN ME!), and are undead, and thus naturally immune to the harmful effects of the touch of death.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 26, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »

If you get polymorph, why not just polypile your rings that are near useless. I'm sure you have some extras lying around.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:16 pm »

If you get polymorph, why not just polypile your rings that are near useless. I'm sure you have some extras lying around.

I'll do that next time I make a holy water run, and hope I get lucky.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:52 am »

Oh yeah medusa, shes pretty easy as long as you have reflection or are blind. I dont mess with polymorphing, system shock is instant kill I think(even though the amulet protects against it).
If you have stone to flesh next time around try reviving those less lucky guys next to her, Id like to see what happens when you do...

Also why did you ditch your pet?

As for me Im doing great! I got a ring of inv(one of my fav stats!) and a ring of lev. More food then I know what to do with...

My cat who is now a flying gargoyle is pretty much killing everything around it, and I have a majic whistle so I dont have to pay for anything anymore. It even killed everyone(except for the lamp guy) in gnome town so I made a little base camp there. Got reflection from soko as well.

I got a cloak of protection(fire-proofed) and am duel weilding grayswandir and silver saber at the expert level. Got two tins of chamileon meat so I got polymorph on the fly...

Recently I alter camped to get demonbane, witch is pretty good. -4 ac at lv 11 with 18/14 st and 18 con so Im doing pretty well. I havent gotten poision resist yet(never mind, just got it!) Im working on it though, and I have a unicorn horn just in case(my cats got a unicorn horn too!).

I found a big ol' pack of mind flayers or a master("you are bathed in psychic energy") at the bottom of the gnome mines so havent explored there yet...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:55:23 am by cowofdoom78963 »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2009, 03:05:42 am »

-blessed greased fixed ring of polymorph control
-blessed greased fixed ring of teleport control
-blessed greased fixed ring of conflict

I'm serious, I want that ring of polymorph control. Poly'ing into a vampire lord is flipping awesome. They get like 3 attacks every turn, fly, have an extra 10 natural AC, have magical breathing (CAN'T DROWN ME!), and are undead, and thus naturally immune to the harmful effects of the touch of death.

Throw an amulet of unchanging on top of that... polymorph and then lock your form in! :D Just take the amulet off if you're in danger of dying, so you can revert to your original form.

I dont mess with polymorphing, system shock is instant kill I think(even though the amulet protects against it).
Players can't die from system shock... just losing HP (1d30) and abuse Constitution. If you have poly control, then you don't even have a chance of failure. Only items, monsters and pets get killed by polymorph. So feel free to self-poly! :D Just remember to take armors off according to your new form.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:10:45 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 27, 2009, 06:41:37 am »

What a great idea Kc! I won't need the eye of the aethiopica's extrinsic telepathy anymore because the PYEC gives it to me naturally, so I can be a Vampire Lord (with a completely different health bar) forever! Also, it protects against sliming, which is a threat I haven't considered yet.

The only thing I'm worried about is if the VL's biting attack can land me in any other trouble even though c's are gone.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 27, 2009, 12:24:20 pm »

ugh I hate it when people refer to monsters by letters, what exactly is a c?

Players can't die from system shock... just losing HP (1d30) and abuse Constitution.
Thats just not true, Ive died from system shock in the past. This just proves its not instant kill.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:30:43 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 27, 2009, 08:18:07 pm »

ugh I hate it when people refer to monsters by letters, what exactly is a c?
Cockatrice and chickatrice. You will eventually get to remember all the letters for things you want to genocide. ;D

Players can't die from system shock... just losing HP (1d30) and abuse Constitution.
Thats just not true, Ive died from system shock in the past. This just proves its not instant kill.
[/quote]
But as I said, if you have Poly Control, you won't even have a chance to lose HP...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 27, 2009, 10:22:24 pm »

But as I said, if you have Poly Control, you won't even have a chance to lose HP...
Well you might as well say "A wand of death wont kill you if you have reflection." :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 27, 2009, 11:11:30 pm »

Wow, just amazing! Finishing up the soldiers in the last area of the quest. I found a wand of death! Not a single charge wasted either! That's great.

I picked up all the miscellaneous rings I could find, and I'm hoping to poly them into more useful rings. Not yet though, I want to do it in my controlled environment at Dlvl 3.

I attacked the master of thieves (the quest nemesis) who the wiki article describes as a pushover, and he teleported away to the stairs, completely neglecting to pick up the PYEC! I then picked it up, and stashed it into my BoH for safekeeping. Then, instead of wasting a charge of my precious wand of death, I just hunted the bastard down and cut him to ribbons with my Grayswandir.

Then I finally charged my magic marker, and managed to write TWO blessed scrolls of genocide off it. BYE ;! BYE L! I'm thinking that I can get away with leaving h alive seeing as how they respect Elbereth, and I have quite a few wands of fire. Plus, they increase INT when eaten, I hear. If I want to rid myself of them at the last second however (Like, say, if I'm surrounded by them with no efficient means of disposing of them), I can use a spare wish maybe for another magic marker, write another blessed scroll, and POOF! Gone!

Now, time to see what I can do with all these potions!

I can't wait get my hands on my guaranteed wand of wishing.

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 27, 2009, 11:56:15 pm »

Some advice on the vampire lord:
You will have pitiful HP, probably around 50-60, so survival will be extremely difficult.  The astral plane will be almost impossible. Half spell damage really helps for this, so the PYEC is nice.  So does conflict.  Actually, carrying a bunch of potions of full healing helps too.

Also, remember to never pray as a vampire lord.  You will lose all your protection and your god will get angry.

When you attack, I believe you will get 1 hit + 1 level draining bite.  Your strength will be set to 18/** and your HP will regenerate very quickly, at least 1 HP/turn.

If you get less than about 55-ish HP, you might consider polymorphing yourself into a Vampire Lord again to hope for better HP.  Of course, tricks like quaffing potions of full healing will still increase max HP, all of that will help, too.

And don't kill yourself with system shock.  I have died to system shock before and killed my pets with it.  At least I could afford the -15 alignment when my pet died that way in my current game.

Good luck with the vampire lord!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 28, 2009, 05:18:09 am »

My valkyrie's polypiling turns up absolutely nothing... RNG just gave more scrolls of light and wands of probing. It outright refused to give me more wands of death - the only one I have is from Orcus town, cursed and completely spent. Never seen a scroll of genocide either.

So with all the nasty ; and L still around, I started climbing the wizard's tower.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess I'll just wear a ring of conflict instead of trying to kill them all... with the Master Lich kept summoning I'll never get it cleared.

Edit:
Killed the wizard for the first time (he's not tough for my valkyrie at all)! Grabbed his book, and now I'm standing on the vibrating square, ready to start the ritual.

Edit2:
I absolutely hate the mysterious force. It pulled me down 15 times already. So I'm still in Gehennom, slowing crawling my way back up. My 5 c!oGL already spent, finally got more /oDeath though.

Edit3:
Damn it, it's so unfair... I want to give up at this point. It's just too frustrating. Both wands of death depleted. Most wands other than digging are depleted too. Killed Rodney twice, then he appeared again and double-troubled me. I'm now just 2 levels above the swamp of Juiblex, stuck in a corridor with monsters all around.

And the biggest trouble of all: I'm out of blessed water, since I have to deal with too damn many liches. I have yet to see a single scroll of genocide.

Damn.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:05:05 am by kcwong »

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32:50 am »

You could have wished for 2 or 3 blessed scrolls of genocide, then written more with a magic marker if you wanted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 28, 2009, 11:37:56 am »

Yeah, what'd you use your guaranteed wand of wishing on? A magic marker would've been good, cause you could write many Scrolls of Genocide with it.

Also, Quincunx, thanks for the advice. Even though I'll have low hp, would it matter that I'd have something like -42 AC as a Vampire Lord?

Also, I'm not familiar with the graphics template for Nethack, is that room full of scrolls?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 128