Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176166 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2009, 05:54:37 pm »

Can it be used to speed getting back to the top after getting the amulet?  As in, making the journey go faster, but not necessarily shortening it to a brief click.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2009, 05:57:14 pm »

You cannot level teleport or branchport while carrying the Amulet of Yendor.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 24, 2009, 07:34:13 pm »

There's alot of weird stuff associated with the amulet if you look at the wiki entry.

Yeah, my choices for my wishes could have been better. They way I saw it however, I could have stolen reflection from Medusa, or hopefully acquired it from a silver dragon.

but also, I wanted a permanent source of MR, seeing as how the "covetous" monsters at the later stages of the game can steal my quest artifact, and thus make me susceptible to a whole mess of bad stuff. Also, since it's an amulet of ESP also, I get free extrinsic telepathy on top of it, which is a trait I always considered really useful. I could have also gone for the eyes of the overworld, which also give MR, and would give me astral vision, which I can only imagine is even better then extrinsic telepathy, plus I can invoke it for enlightenment, which would help me identify my rings among other things, but I didn't want to keep having to take them off to put on my blindfold so I can access my intrinsic telepathy, which would result in me getting blasted, alot. Maybe I'll go for the EotO on another character though, as rereading the wiki entry has me interested, but branchporting can save me alot of grief.

Once I get the PYEC though, I can perform blessed charging, and then I can recharge my magic marker (only once, unfortunately) and write more scrolls, and hopefully by then I'll have knowledge of what scroll is a scroll of genocide. I also have a crapload of wands, which might come in handy.

Reading the wiki entry for Titans, it says they "can fly". Does this mean my pet Titan is always flying? I simply can't tell, as my stethescope doesn't give me such details.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2009, 11:27:58 pm »

Also, just to point out for beginners, my first two wishes were very risky. I was counting on somehow acquiring reflection through some other source which may or may not have existed at all. I forsook the great deal of protection that silver scale mail would've given me in return for a great weapon.

The "safer" wishes in my situation would've been:

Blessed Greased Fixed +2 Magicbane (MR when wielded, athame engraving, resists curses, randomly cancels/scares/probes/stuns monsters, and deals pretty decent damage to boot)

Blessed Greased fixed +2 Silver Dragon scale mail (Reflection, and just awesome. Not an artifact)

My gamble worked out for me, but it might not work out for you! It's best to always carefully weigh the options, and pick something that will offer as much help as possible.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »

Reading the wiki entry for Titans, it says they "can fly". Does this mean my pet Titan is always flying? I simply can't tell, as my stethescope doesn't give me such details.

Hmmm, I never knew they could fly. I've seen them on Medusa level before, and I don't recall seeing them walking over the water.

You can test it easily by observing if it can cross moat/water, or is it affected by pit traps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 25, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »

Yes they do in fact fly. I was surprised too.

I haven't made a lot of progress, but some definite milestones.

Got a throne room, it gave me a health increase then poofed away.

Got a HORRIFYING zoo. It had 2 cockatrices and 2 chickatrices, during a new moon, and there was a mixture of intelligent creatures in the mix. Fortunately I always have my lizard corpse with me. I read one of my scrolls of magic mapping to see if there was a way around it. There wasn't. I was about to dig a tunnel through the walls and bypass it altogether, but something woke them all up and I was forced to kill them all. I ever so carefully lured the footrices down hallways and threw daggers. I stuffed their corpses into my bag of holding so I will NEVER interact with them accidentally. I learned my lesson last time.

After killing everything in the zoo, through persistent effort on my part, I finally got the 1/20 chance for my polymorph spell, and I poly'd a stack of extra unicorn horns. Got a tinning kit, yay! Used my last potion of blessed water to bless it, and then I got fire resistance from a fire giant.

I'm to the point where I want to abandon my Titan (as I can do just fine without him) but I won't, cause if he goes feral... I don't think I can take him.

I made a dumb move when I found the portal to my quest though. Exploring the quest level, I found a Graveyard, and I started killing the Wraiths, but I forgot about the whole "undead don't leave corpses on Graveyard levels" thing, and I WASTED a bunch of Wraiths. Dumb.

Anyway, my Titan fought most of the Krakens and giant eels on the level, with me rooting for the water creatures to drown him and remove him from my worries. My Titan was successful though, and killed them all.

I'm currently hauling a bunch of unidentified spellbooks back up to my base of operations/altar to get them blessed. I'm hoping that one of them is a spellbook of identify.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 25, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »

I ever so carefully lured the footrices down hallways and threw daggers. I stuffed their corpses into my bag of holding so I will NEVER interact with them accidentally. I learned my lesson last time.
I like putting footrice corpse inside BoH too. But my wizard can't even do that... he has no gloves and no boots! I haven't found any yet, and my super low St (8) won't allow me to wear much armor. So my only defense is my Magicbane, and I kept checking every round to see the E-words are still there. Then I fireballed them and leave the level.

I made a dumb move when I found the portal to my quest though. Exploring the quest level, I found a Graveyard, and I started killing the Wraiths, but I forgot about the whole "undead don't leave corpses on Graveyard levels" thing, and I WASTED a bunch of Wraiths. Dumb.
But unless you have drain resistance (e.g. Excalibur), I think there's a chance to lose more levels than wraith corpses if you try to lure them away. They will have to many rounds to get some hits in.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »

Are you playing a chaotic or a neutral wizard? If chaotic, you can probably kill one of the watchmen in Minetown for a pair of gloves and shoes. That is, if you don't have a pet to do it for you.

EDIT: Also, I discovered the Telnet online Nethack. It's so cool watching other people. I can send them mail and everything.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »

Or don a ring of conflict on the minetown level to kill off everything. Bonus is that you get to rob everything as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 25, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »

The shopkeepers are surprisingly docile even with the ring of conflict on. The problem is that it seems they refuse to leave their stores for anything, and the watchmen aren't tough enough to take'em out.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:11 pm »

That still eliminates the watchmen, and you would just need to buy the gloves and shoes. As Belkar would say:

We needed some gloves, and the gnome had them. Now we have gloves, and the gnome doesn't need them anymore. Everybody wins.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:36:01 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »

I hiked back up, blessed and read the spellbooks, and was disappointed to find that none of them were Identify. Dropping them in my boulder stash just a few tiles away had me realize something though, I had quite a few spellbooks.

So I picked them up, put them in four piles of 2, and persistently tried to cast polymorph until it worked and hit all the piles at once.

It took me THREE batches of polymorphed books to finally get identify, but I got it. I also got two pages of spells in the process, that polymorph spell is REALLY pulling it's weight.

ID'ing my things, I found that I have a cursed ring of polymorph (if only I had a ring of polymorph control!) and a ring of regeneration. I also ID'd my wands and everything else of importance.

Oh, also, I found anothe Priest, and I lavished him with donations until I got like 5 more AC off him. It might be 6 AC though, I wasn't counting. Also, I got a pair of Speed boots somewhere, and while they have lower enchantment than my ordinary boots, the extra speed is appreciated. I'm now rocking -30 AC.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 26, 2009, 04:51:07 pm »

Wow, I havent played nethack in a while. Im gonna start a new archy.

And this time Im gonna win!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 26, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »

Good luck! Remember, the proper use of your beginning tinning kit will help you get poison resistance. Are you playing a human, a dwarf, or a gnome? Just curious.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 26, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »

Good luck! Remember, the proper use of your beginning tinning kit will help you get poison resistance. Are you playing a human, a dwarf, or a gnome? Just curious.
Im playing dead, anyway how does the tinning kit play into anything but food preservation?

Ugh, here goes another archy.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 128