Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176226 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #570 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:53 am »

Umiman is just the master of the universe apparently...

And wizards are too awesome for their own good.

I mean seriously, they start the game with magic resistance, two rings, their first sacrifice item is magicbane (very useful), quest is both very easy and gives the eye of the aethiopica (VERY useful), they can read spellbooks safely (and get warned if there is a chance of failure), can wear the cornethaum, and have hungerless spellcasting.

and tinning kits are useful enough to lug around, I can't tell you how much easier it is to gain strength from giants (and giant zombie/mummies) and sleep resistance from Elf zombies/mummies. Also, gaining poison resistance is much easier as the number of safe things to eat to get poison resistance pretty much doubles. Tins of Nurse meat will also restore you to full health (although it counts as cannibalism for human characters) so even though I haven't eaten it yet, I can contemplate the usefulness of not dying over the punishment for cannibalism. I always bless my tinning kits so my tins can always be consumed in 2 turns by the way. I'm just saying, if you find a tinning kit, it's more than worth it to carry one around, because proper application can make your life much easier.

I don't know why you mentioned tinning lizards Kc, because that's a terrible example. You'd never need to tin them because they never rot, and if they never rot, then you can just carry the corpse around and take a bite out of it if the nightmare that is the cockatrice ever does manage to touch you successfully.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 22, 2009, 10:33:39 am »

Rule #369234091:  Always carry a lizard corpse.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:24 am »

The lizard example is because Umiman said,
Nothing else really needed the use of a tinning kit. I had plenty of lizards to deal with stoning.
I just wanted to make sure the time required to open a tin is known. :)

Tinning giants is not a big deal to me, dragons are. You gotta have these intrinsics:
Sleep - Orange dragon, needed if you are not elf and cannot get from elves
Disintegration - Black dragon
Shock - Blue dragon

The others I can get from other corpses most of the time, but for that three I often need to eat dragons on castle level. In fact in my current game I had to take a long walk from DL27 to DL9 in order to get my stomach ready for an orange dragon after a black one.

The biggest problems with tinning kits are their weight and rarity...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:00 am »

So wait Kc, you're telling me that to get shock resistance you had to seek out and kill a blue dragon? You didn't encounter any black/brown puddings, any storm giants, any flesh golems, OR any gelatinous cubes beforehand, or atleast enough to get shock resistance before going toe-to-toe with a blue dragon?

and you somehow couldn't find enough Elves, homunculi, or Gelatinous cubes to get sleep resistance?

but yeah, the weight is almost as bogus as the weight that crystal balls have. It'd be neat if the tinning kit become lighter every time you used it (since you're using a tin). They're still really useful though, you don't gotta burn off all that nutrition the hard way.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 22, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »

gaints and dragons already start off with enough nutrition. Isnt that why you tin them in the first place?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »

Yep cod, Giants and dragons have gigantic amounts of nutrition. Tinning them however will always reduce them to 50 nutrition. This'll help prevent you from getting satiated, and will allow you to finish off all the corpses within a short time frame.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:30 pm »

Toonyman: Just play wizard, hope for great starting kit, and play smart. I can't say I've played more than some guys here because hey... I never saw a tinning kit before.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 22, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

Wait, so if I play Wizard my chance of ascension goes up %3000?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 22, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »

They ARE ridiculous. They're a bit overpowered in comparison to other classes, for the reasons I listed above.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 22, 2009, 02:01:52 pm »

Barbarians and valks have always been the overpowered ones IMO.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »

I just got Nethack to work on my DS. Still trying to figure out the controls. No idea how to do a lot of stuff. My best so far is a caveman who got to DL 5 before becoming a werejackal and dying to a rothe while I was trying to figure out how to pray.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »

How did you do that Umi?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:14 pm »

You need to get a few items for your DS.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:47 pm »

Get a flashcart and download the game from here: http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS

It's not ASCII though. A shame, but it's no big deal.

RNG gave me a chaotic elf wizard this time. Quite basic starting set, got spellbook of charm monster and a blessed scroll of identify. Also got a ring of teleport control. I found a gnome carrying a shield of reflection too. So yeah, hope this one goes well. I got my pick and what seems to be a skeleton key.

edit: Bleh, I forgot that reading scrolls counts as buying it. I couldn't afford paying for the scrolls of genocide and identify. Tried to escape, but died.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2009, 06:19:29 pm »

Get a flashcart and download the game from here: http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS

It's not ASCII though. A shame, but it's no big deal.

RNG gave me a chaotic elf wizard this time. Quite basic starting set, got spellbook of charm monster and a blessed scroll of identify. Also got a ring of teleport control. I found a gnome carrying a shield of reflection too. So yeah, hope this one goes well. I got my pick and what seems to be a skeleton key.

edit: Bleh, I forgot that reading scrolls counts as buying it. I couldn't afford paying for the scrolls of genocide and identify. Tried to escape, but died.

Hmm... Entirely random start. Conserdering you don't need to pick feats or skills in this, that doesn't sound like a bad way to really "learn" the game. Something different everytime. I may have to start going that route...
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 128