Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176231 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2009, 12:13:33 am »

And cowofdoom, a cursed potion of gain level will, instead of making you lvl up, will send you straight through the ceiling to the next Dungeon level.
Im afraid I dont see the logic here.

Anyway starting another tourist, this time Im gonna win!

I'm not explaining the joke Cowofdoom!

When you get to a decent level, and find a sink, my advice is to start kicking it! One of the outcomes of kicking a sink is summoning a foocubus. Tourist's start with very high charisma, and the success rate of foocubus chatting is dependant on charisma! Using foocubus dancing, you can power up your tourist very quickly.

Make sure to hide all your gold in a bag or something though, so the demon doesn't make off with all your gold!
Well thanks for the advice but I know how to kick a sink(I use them to farm puddings for their sweet sweet exp). I thought sucubus success chances were based on wisdom though. Oh well.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:58 am »

then I found ANOTHER scroll of genocide, which I blessed and used to knock out all h's (poor hobbits!).

And the poor DWARFS! :o

And cowofdoom, a cursed potion of gain level will, instead of making you lvl up, will send you straight through the ceiling to the next Dungeon level.

Sometimes puns > logic in Nethack...

I made my way back to DL9, my main camp. I've hauled all the good stuff from Valley of the Dead back, and will now perform my last polypile... I really really need more /oD and ?oGenocide. I had to deal with an arch-lich on the way up... I chase the damn thing for 6 levels to kill it, dealing with all its summon nasties and cursing all the way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:29:44 am by kcwong »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 21, 2009, 12:25:46 am »

Sometimes puns > logic in Nethack...
I guess so, shopkeepers being mad at you for having the same name as a past attacker doesnt make much sence either.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 21, 2009, 09:29:03 am »

Black puddings are more valuable for their ability to give shock resistance when eaten, IMO.

I don't think shock resistance protects against the insta-kill lightning that gods use against you though.

Alright, I've been thinking about it, and because I already have 2 artifacts in existence, when I make it to the castle, here's my wish-list.

2 blessed scrolls of charging
Blessed Greased Fixed +3 levitation boots (If I don't find a pair on Medusa's Island)
Blessed Greased Fixed +3 Silver Dragon Scale Mail (If I don't find a shield of reflection on Medusa's Island)
2 blessed scrolls of genocide (I don't feel confortable with ; and c still in existence)

Seems like a good list if you ask me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 21, 2009, 04:03:14 pm »

Wow, my Samurai is doing pretty awesome.

Found Medusa's Island, and it's version 2 (meaning that the boots of levitation are much more likely to be on the Statue of Perseus than the shield of reflection) and I headed back up, seeing myself as underprepared.

I headed back up to one of the first floors, where I reentered a shop, and did one of the most boneheaded things ever, I ate a tin in the shop. My hands got slippery and I dropped my excalibur and my +1 katana, which the greedy bastard claimed as his own and then marked up to ridiculous prices! I can't believe I forgot about that. So anyway, to fix this, I just picked up everything of value, including MY weapons, and then read a scroll of teleport. A couple dead Keystone kops later, and I'm off scott free.

Then I found some potions of gain level and I used those to propel myself to level 16, where I then entered the quest.

With magic resistance, the many wands wielded by the japanese guys didn't hurt my one bit as I mowed through them. I found some boots I hadn't seen before, and I got a hawaiian shirt, plus got so many wands and potions that I decided to lock myself in one of the small rooms, and I broke out some more scrolls of identify, blessed them, and I managed to ID all my stuff. Turns out, I picked up a Wand of Death, some speed boots, and a plethora of other stuff. I then blessed the pile of enchant armor scrolls I've been hoarding and used those to enchant my new Hawaiian shirt, leather gloves, speed boots, and elven helmet. Combined with the +5 divine protection I bought earlier, I had -21 AC! That's the best I've ever done. So then I just mowed through the rest of the level, and defeated Takaji-whatshisface with a single shot from my Wand of Death (I accidentally wasted a charge when I accidentally forgot to specify a direction the first time, DOH!) and got the Bell and the Tsurugi of Muramasa, a weapon I'm entirely not interested in.

After picking up the majority of the TON of free potions lying around, I traveled back up and completed the quest, the first time I've ever done it.

I then dropped the Tsurugi of Muramasa into a box near my favorite altar, because I'm very happy with my current setup (dual-wielding excalibur and a katana) and the Tsurugi is taking up weight and has no redeeming value in my eyes. It only counts as a luckstone for crying out loud!

I then bothered to use up the last of my scrolls of create monster and wands of create monster at the altar, didn't get anything. Then I just blessed all my potions of healing and extra healing (but not full healing) and drank them all for the boost in HP.

I don't have boots of levitation yet, but I have something better, a ring of teleport control! I tinned some leprechauns earlier, so at any time, I could just put the ring on, eat a leprechaun, and start zipping whereever I want. Also, I learned the identify spell a long time ago in minetown if I've forgotten it, then I can self induce confusion, read one of my scrolls of teleport, then use teleport control to levelport whereever I want, so Medusa's island doesn't look so well-defended anymore.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 21, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »

Had a pretty epic tourist adventure last night, got a cloak of invisibility and a silver dragon scale mail early on, also some grease. It was also the first time I made it to the town as a tourist.

But of course thats where everything went wrong. I steped on a polymorph trap(on accident, I feel like a idiot). Luckily my dragon scale mail survived by my cloak was shreaded.

I used my freeze breath to kill off some krackens in the moat. But of course this unleased an army of the dead that just happened to be on the other side. Although this isent what killed me, I began to get hungry and ate a spider corpse. It was tainted.

So I thought "Oh Ill use my unicorn horn no problem." And I did. Of course it said "You feel better!" but it was talking about the poison from a spider I ate earlier.

So there you go, wonderful.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2009, 05:15:34 pm »

You made it to the "town"? You mean Mine town? and you were still a dragon when you reached the castle?

Given a choice between the two, knowing what I know now, I'd always go for magic resistance over reflection. It protects against way more things, including many of the traps and some of the deadlier wands.

but yeah, I think the actual message for curing food poisoning is "What a relief!" IIRC.

Hey Kc, I have a question. Could I use a wand of striking to knock down the castle's bridge, then use a wand of cold to freeze the moat so I can walk on the water to get inside?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »

You made it to the "town"? You mean Mine town? and you were still a dragon when you reached the castle?

Given a choice between the two, knowing what I know now, I'd always go for magic resistance over reflection. It protects against way more things, including many of the traps and some of the deadlier wands.

but yeah, I think the actual message for curing food poisoning is "What a relief!" IIRC.

Hey Kc, I have a question. Could I use a wand of striking to knock down the castle's bridge, then use a wand of cold to freeze the moat so I can walk on the water to get inside?
Oh sorry, I ment the "quest" town or whatever. Anyway yeah it is "What a relief!" I kinda messed up there(still, it should show if your still tainted or not).

Anyway the reflection saved my ass a number of times, It stoped a wand of disintigration as well as lightning. I considered taking the black mail but ultimately I decided to take the silver. But the Cloak of invisibility was SO much more usefull. I would have died many times over without it.

Could I use a wand of striking to knock down the castle's bridge, then use a wand of cold to freeze the moat so I can walk on the water to get inside?
I dont think that would work...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »

It does still show if you're food poisoned, in the corner, you should've been able to see "FoodPois" or something to that effect.

I can see reflection stopping a wand of lightning, but wands of disintegration don't exist. Do you mean a Black Dragon's disintegration breath attack? Cause reflection'll stop that, or do you mean a Wand of Death? Cause both magic resistance and reflection'll will prevent it from hitting you.

You've made a mistake on the colors of dragon scale mail. Silver = reflection, gray = magic resistance, Black = disintegration resistance.

I've never encountered a cloak of invisibility, but I'm usually able to become permanently invisible by zapping a wand of invisibility at myself. They're pretty easy to identify, just zap wands you find at monsters and see if they disappear. Rings of invisibility are nice too.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2009, 06:50:49 pm »

It does still show if you're food poisoned, in the corner, you should've been able to see "FoodPois" or something to that effect.

I can see reflection stopping a wand of lightning, but wands of disintegration don't exist. Do you mean a Black Dragon's disintegration breath attack? Cause reflection'll stop that, or do you mean a Wand of Death? Cause both magic resistance and reflection'll will prevent it from hitting you.

You've made a mistake on the colors of dragon scale mail. Silver = reflection, gray = magic resistance, Black = disintegration resistance.

I've never encountered a cloak of invisibility, but I'm usually able to become permanently invisible by zapping a wand of invisibility at myself. They're pretty easy to identify, just zap wands you find at monsters and see if they disappear. Rings of invisibility are nice too.
ARG, WHY IS IT SO...

OUT OF THE WAY?!!! AFASDGSFGASGSFG

ugh, anyway something must have cast disintigration on me. Probably one of those lichs(I honestly dont see what else could have shot it)

I guess its a good thing I chose silver then huh? As for invisibility, I like the cloak becuase it can be removed and I dont have to depend on mummy wraps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:21 pm »

Don't worry man, just be sure to keep an eye on your status next time. Paranoia is the only thing that'll save you in Nethack.

Also, Liches don't have a disintegration attack. In fact, the Wikihack article says that the only sources of disintegration beams are Black Dragons and a God's wrath:

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Disintegration

I like cloaks of protection more, they give 3 AC and 3 MC. My Samurai is wearing a greased one right now. I just need another uncursed scroll of enchant armor, then I need to confuse myself and read it so I can make it burn-proof.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »

Don't worry man, just be sure to keep an eye on your status next time. Paranoia is the only thing that'll save you in Nethack.

Also, Liches don't have a disintegration attack. In fact, the Wikihack article says that the only sources of disintegration beams are Black Dragons and a God's wrath:

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Disintegration

I like cloaks of protection more, they give 3 AC and 3 MC. My Samurai is wearing a greased one right now. I just need another uncursed scroll of enchant armor, then I need to confuse myself and read it so I can make it burn-proof.
Yeah, I usualy do keep an eye on my status except I dident even know food poisioning was even being tracked(because its all the way in the corner).

Anyway I guess something that polymorphs often must have become a dragon for a short time. Also a cloak of protection is useful but I dident find any. Usualy I only find 1 special cloak anyway, and I usualy use it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »

Ah, a chameleon, those have ended atleast two good characters in my roster. Chameleons are the type of monster that should be killed as fast as possible. Use any method at your disposal, so long as they end up dead. Then tin the corpse, a free polymorph is always handy to have, especially for those of us with rings of polymorph control.

Magic resistance would have protected you from that polymorph trap by the way. It would also protect you from teleport traps, both of which can be game-ending.

I'm currently contemplating the usefulness of changing my alignment by sacrificing a co-aligned unicorn at a cross-aligned altar, not for my Samurai, but just how useful it'd be in general.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 21, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

Yeah chameleons. You know whats even worse about the polymorph trap? Earlier in the game one of my dogs had ate one of those chameleon corpses and became a garter snake. So when I found the trap I tried to get him to step into it...

OOPS.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »

I'm growing increasingly resentful of having pets.

If you don't have a leash or a magic whistle, then you have no way of controlling them and getting them to stay close to you except with a tripe ration, and even then they slow you down. Even if you have a leash, they're faster but you're always dragging them, causing them to squeal and whine, waking up monsters you'd have preferred stayed asleep. Slowing down for them wastes even MORE time. Plus, Getting corpses and tins of specific monsters becomes a REAL challenge when you have a pet, as they're opportunistic little assholes that'll leap at the opportunity to eat things you might have wanted to tin, which makes getting tins of valuable creatures (like giants, nurses, or chameleons) to be a pain in the ass. They take forever eating too, finish the damn thing! Then they interfere with Elbereths, because they don't respect it, they'll just walk all over it and degrade it, and possibly pick up the gold coin or something that you dropped on it to keep it active. Also, you can't use conflict, because then they'll attack you, and standing on an Elbereth doesn't help, cause they don't respect it! In the case of ponies, you have to REALLY go out of your way to keep your pet alive, you have to chat to it to discern how it's hunger is doing, and you have to feed it fruits and vegetables only, both of which can EASILY get to be in short supply. EVEN THEN, if in the heat of battle you accidentally hit your pet with a wand of lightning (cause it just won't GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY!) and you kill it, then you lose like 15 alignment and 1 luck.

and even then, you can't even eat or sacrifice the damn things without being severely punished.

So I've just taken to abandoning the little bastards the moment I can afford it, it's always for the best.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 128