Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176263 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22:52 pm »

2-3. Water walking boots and levitation boots

I'm a newbie to the mid-game and end-game of nethack...  Why would you need both of these enough to wish for them both?  Wouldn't levitation also levitate you over water?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:32 pm »

I though Silver DMS gave magic reflection?  Which, in my opinion, is better because wands and magic beams don't affect you, and those are what kill me most often as far as magic goes.  Of course, that is based on the experiences the RNG saw fit to throw at me.  Soon I'll die horribly from something Gray DMS might have saved me from.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:24 pm »

I though Silver DMS gave magic reflection?  Which, in my opinion, is better because wands and magic beams don't affect you, and those are what kill me most often as far as magic goes.  Of course, that is based on the experiences the RNG saw fit to throw at me.  Soon I'll die horribly from something Gray DMS might have saved me from.

DSM does give reflection, it's just that both reflection and magic cancellation are needed to give blanket protection to most magics.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

Got intrinsic invisibility and speed thanks to some wands I found.  Also, got a black dragon as a pet when I found a polymorph trap and forced a dog I found into a couple times. They're alot slower than I envisioned.

I can't believe I'm still using a rune dagger to kill most stuff.

Would it be safe to bring my black dragon along with me on my quest? it looks like it has water, and I'd hate for the super drowning skills of pets to take my dragon away from me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »

Remember that if you leave it for too long it will be untamed, that would be unpleasant.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2009, 07:13:21 pm »

Just take it.

What could go wrong?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 17, 2009, 08:04:09 pm »

2-3. Water walking boots and levitation boots

I'm a newbie to the mid-game and end-game of nethack...  Why would you need both of these enough to wish for them both?  Wouldn't levitation also levitate you over water?

I'd prefer a ring of levitation than boots, but at that point in the game, the two ring slots are occupied - one for slow digestion and one for teleport control. I found the ring early on and ate a nymph corpse to gain teleportis, and thus before finding myself enough tengu I cannot take it off.

Levitation has its disadvantages so you do not want it to be on full time - you cannot pickup items, use downstairs and push boulders. Besides, my game has a lack of magical boots... so I wanted something else to wear when I'm not levitating. Something that will keep me safe from water and lava.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:58 pm »

I have the worst luck with pets! My black dragon got killed by a fire elemental, and then later, I got an Aleax using the same trick, and he died to a water elemental!  Bah humbug. I may want to go back up and try the trick again, just for kicks. Just so no one mentions it, I already used a wand of invisibility/speed monster to improve my pet's stats, they just have the worst luck.

However....

BEST LUCK EVER!

I'm accruing so much gold that it's officially becoming a giant hassle to carry it all, so I just dump something like 30,000 zorkmids at my stash and I keep going down. Most of that came from the most giant leprechaun hall I've ever seen!

I ransacked several beehives, and now have a decent supply of royal jelly. Surprisingly good stuff.

I also found a ring of levitation, just saying.

I found a tinning kit and a touchstone from the bones file of a dig for victory character I did looooong ago, and upon blessing them, I now have an even better source of money and giants are very practical to tin.

I finally got around to blessing my luckstone, and I threw some of my newly acquired valuable gems at a co-aligned unicorn to get permanent maximum luck.

I found a throne, and upon sitting on it, I got my first throne-wish! I wished for a Blessed Greased Fixed +3 magicbane, but I only got a blessed greased fixed +0 magicbane. This dagger skill is being put to damn good use! I was sort of flip-flopping between Magicbane and Grayswandir, but the Instant Elbereth can REALLY come in handy.

Three wishes so far, and I haven't even gotten the guaranteed wand of wishing yet. I have something like 7 wands of create monster, and a handful of scrolls of create monster, so but I haven't altar camped for a single item yet.

I haven't found an instrument yet, which is pretty odd.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:15 pm »

Isn't the maximum enchantment bonus wished items can have +2?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 17, 2009, 11:04:54 pm »

They can have +5 I think, but at a horribly low rate. + 1 is guaranteed, +2 or 3 are considered the best to wish for since they almost always work.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 18, 2009, 12:44:36 am »

hey what does "fixed" do again? I havent played in a while.

Also once again reading all this has inspired me to start a new game of nethack. This time Im gonna win!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:06 am »

hey what does "fixed" do again? I havent played in a while.

Also once again reading all this has inspired me to start a new game of nethack. This time Im gonna win!

Items in Nethack can be damaged according to its material (wood can be burnt and rot, iron can rust and corrode, etc.). They all have an indicator that the item is protected against damage, and this indicator is called fixed.

Instead of wishing for "rustproof gauntlets of power" you can wish for "fixed gauntlets of power". It saves you the trouble of needing to remember/search for what kind of protection you need for the item. Like blessed, fixed is guaranteed in a wish.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2009, 07:36:59 am »

IDEA: reverse genocide, or otherwise manage to get a hold of a wraith. Let it touch me all the way back to lvl 1 or 2, use my gargantuan amount of money at a local temple to buy incredible amounts of AC.

Does it matter if it's a cross-aligned temple?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 18, 2009, 08:17:09 am »

IDEA: reverse genocide, or otherwise manage to get a hold of a wraith. Let it touch me all the way back to lvl 1 or 2, use my gargantuan amount of money at a local temple to buy incredible amounts of AC.

Firstly, I think if you can afford to pull this off, you don't really need those protection anymore. They will just be icing on the cake. :P

But anyway, here's what I can think of about the "reverse protection run" strategy...

1. Monster level
You are the same dungeon level when you are very high level... that means, there will be tough monsters that you cannot handle as your level drops. I think you need to do this in a 5x5 boulder fort. You will need E-words on the outside to scare away giants but not the wraiths.

2. Damage
A wraith's touch attack does 1d6 damage, so you will need some methods to heal. Potion of full healing will restore half of the loss XP, so you can't use that.

3. Breaking out
You will need to chat with a priest while you're low level, with the wraiths clawing at you. The ideal solution seems to be including the priest in your big boulder fort (5x5 plus space for a priest), a method to burn Elbereth and a way to kill wraiths so you can move next to the priest. Or just have the priest next to you and settle for 7 wraiths.

4. Teleporting monsters
They might teleport in and do something horrible to you, as you cannot have E-word inside the boulder fort. To prevent this you will need to keep all the wraiths alive to fully occupy the boulder fort, and burn E-word when you are done with the protection and breaking out of it.

5. Restoration
You will also want to get your XP back once you've bought protection. Potions of full healing can be used to restore half of it, but your level will still be much lower. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I've read somewhere that when you reverse genocide wraiths, the level will become a grave level (TDTTOE), meaning the chance of getting a wraith corpse is extremely low. So you can't eat the wraiths to get some levels back, and you will need some potions of gain levels.

6. Last but not least: Does it work this way?
I'm not sure if the protection cost is based on your current level or your actual level...

But hey, it's a creative twist of a protection run... please keep us updated on how it goes. :)

Does it matter if it's a cross-aligned temple?

You can get protection from any priests, even from priests of Moloch... they all have their greedy eyes on your purse.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:25:43 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 18, 2009, 08:28:39 am »

NEVER MIND! Damn pits and damn cockatrice corpses. I'm NEVER EVER EVER touching one again. I shoulda just cheated and made a backup of my save. So many hours lost in a damn instant.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 128