Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176312 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #360 on: May 27, 2009, 03:32:04 am »

So if I get the jist

I can't play Nethack because I am the most unlucky Nethack player alive.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 27, 2009, 03:34:15 am »

Maybe you just remember the unlucky moments more than the nice ones because you're too focused on them.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:35 am »

If you feel you are lucky in Nethack, it means the RNGod is going to kill you pretty soon.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58:28 am »

If you feel you are lucky in Nethack, it means the RNGod is going to kill you pretty soon.
Or you havent played in a long time, the RNG is kinder to those who play less often.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:11 pm »

My neutral monk is doing pretty good. I've completed Sokoban, got the amulet of reflection, been making my way down the dungeon, almost died because of a trapped chest, found a throne but couldn't squeeze anything useful out of it, and I found a cross-aligned temple.

the game's been surprisingly stingy with the altars, not giving me one co-aligned altar, and I can't tell you how much I want Magicbane. Lucky for me, I found a cockatrice, and upon killing it and taking it's corpse, I pelted the cross-aligned priest with it once, stoning him instantly, and while his angry god fired a bolt of lightning at me, my amulet of reflection protected me fully.

One use of my stored wand of create monster later, the altar is converted and I finally have a co-aligned altar.

Sadly, three exhausted wands of create monster later, and I only have giant slayer, the crappiest of all the neutral artifacts.

Man, now I gotta go back up to Minetown, where I stashed all my bags of tricks. I'm 20,000 turns in anyway, so I got to go back and get my starting spellbook and learn it again, I've gotten surprisingly used to relying on the protection spell.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 27, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

You're farther than I ever gotten, keep it up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »

Man, Josh has been getting good fast.Never mind, I don't want to jinx it.  Don't try to read it, dudes.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:49 pm »

Whoo, you're lucky the god didn't summon an angel.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 28, 2009, 12:17:29 am »

Whoo, you're lucky the god didn't summon an angel.

"The God"? You mean the Random Number God? The god has smiled favorably on me already. Once when I got paralyzed by a chest (I didn't know you could Untrap chests at the time) and I got beaten down to 1 hp by a single Grey Elf and then thankfully regained control when I was about to give up hope. Thinking quickly (and smartly) I zapped my wand of teleportation at the Elf, which sent him a good 3 squares away from me. That wasn't alot, but it gave me enough time to reach into my sack and pull out and quaff a potion of greater healing. I'm gonna have to get more paranoid about untrapping chests and boxes.

I'm growing very fond of those wands of teleportation. Excellent escape items, saved me from an Energy Vortex and from being cornered by a Mumak and a nymph.

I've already fought a couatl, apparently the weakest of the angelic beings. Surprisingly tough.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 28, 2009, 12:24:37 am »

Yeah, they can be pretty surprising. The first time I fought a couatl, I had no idea what it was and was taken aback when two of them nearly overwhelmed me.

It's nothing compared to when I stepped into one of those "super-large-number-of-monsters" rooms. That was crazy. Master mind flayers everywhere.

Fighting angels at early levels is good if you can defeat them though. Especially if they carry reflection items.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 28, 2009, 11:09:42 am »

Sadly, three exhausted wands of create monster later, and I only have giant slayer, the crappiest of all the neutral artifacts.

That's the problem of being neutral... too many choices when getting a gift. If you're after some specific artifacts, it may be best to wish for them. Each generated artifact in the game (either as gift, in shops or on the ground) reduce your chance of successfully wishing one.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:34 pm »

Putting my Monk down, for now, and picking the Dwarven Archaeologist role back up. Named'em Higgons. With my newfound experience, I find a great deal more success.

I'm 12,000 turns in, Beat Sokoban and got the amulet of reflection, I got craptons of money, got pretty much any tool I'll need, a strong pet, expert in pickaxes (and a trusty dwarvish mattock), a cloak of protection, poison resistance, and I'm slowly but surely building up the Archaeologist's poor starting stats.

One thing I like about the archaeologist (besides the obvious stuff like starting with stealth and speed, and starting with an uncursed touchstone that can be used to rack up tons of money) is that you start with a regular sack, which is pre-identified.

That may not sound like much, but think of it like this: there are only 4 bags in the game, and with the sack (the most common and lowly one) already identified, that means that any bag you find that is unidentified and only comes up as "bag" will either be a bag of tricks (easily identified), an oilskin sack (a step up from normal sack) and the bag of holding. While finding a BoH is unlikely, finding an oilskin sack is much easier, and very advantageous, as it protects your things from water.

The more I enjoy the effects of Elbereth, the more I feel that playing a Knight would be impossible, seeing as how they receive an alignment penalty for attacking fleeing monsters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:53 am »

Awwww, no one's interested in my disjointed rambling anymore!

Well, if anyone IS interested, I started up the Orcish Wizard that I put down oh-so-long ago. The one with the Ring of Regeneration and Slow digestion, that one.

After reorganizing my cluttered and disorganized inventory (I know better now!) and realizing that I had stupidly whittled down my dexterity with satiation (fixed with a potion of restore ability), I ventured into the Gnomish mines, and a hobbit jumped into a frickin' polymorph trap and turned into a frickin' Balrog! A major demon! Well, I wasn't going to have any of that, so I retreated, and did Sokoban, got a bag of holding, had a potion of holy water so now it's a Blessed bag of holding, found an altar, got Magicbane, found a blessed magic lamp, wished for blessed greased fixed +2 silver dragon scale mail (thereby giving me reflection + magic resistance with my starting cloaK), beat the fudge out of a unicorn and took it's horn, found a wand of turn invisible and zapped myself, thereby making me permanently invisible, AND found a mess of wands and tools that'll undoubtably get me out of any bad spot.

Magic traps and polymorph traps are my mortal enemy, cause those things seem to tempt the RNG into throwing me into horrible situations where only the swiftest of escapes will guarantee my life.

Does anyone else have interesting stories?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:10 am »

I had a female archaeologist turned into a killer bee a few days ago. At first I thought "Cool! I'm now a fast and deadly killer!", but I soon found out killer bees have close to ZERO carrying capacity. Then I thought about #sitting to create my personal army (or at least plenty of meat shields), but my three pets kept eating them before they can hatch... I committed suicide on an hill orc to return to human form. She ends up with 8 pets in Sokoban, killed by a lucky hit from a giant mimic. Mostly because I forgot to count turns, as I took a step nearer to check if it's dead or not... well, it's not.

I've read a funny story involving werefoo from rgrn before... here it is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:03 am »

Nethacks probs my favourite RL, ive never got further than Sokoban, and ive always played as the tougher classes -barb, samuri, and valkaryie.

I love this game but its a bit of a sucide mission with me playing, usually i die after getting blinded by some trap. Starvation is the next big killer.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 128