Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176324 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2009, 09:57:59 pm »

Yay! I finally beat Sokoban for the first time, and got a Bag of Holding!

It was sort of depressing how the zoo monsters won't attack you unless attacked, it's like they don't care if I kill them.

Anyway, I dumped all my food and identified wands (Sartak says to never put unidentified wands in your bag of holding) in it, as well as all my miscellaneous stuff that's just consuming valuable weight. After I made a quick pitstop to a nearby altar to curse-test and then attempt to ID my newest batch of rings, I found a +4 ring of gain constitution, which'll come in handy, maybe. I have a bunch of unlabeled scrolls from beating up paper golems, if only I had a magic marker, I'd be able to make all the scrolls of identify I want.

The bag of holding and I are going to be best friends for a long time, cause anything that'll foster my packrat tendencies is fine by me.

Man, I completed Sokoban AND got to Mine's End with a single character? Wow, I'm either becoming a better player or the Random Number Gods are well-pleased with me.

Maybe I'll play a samurai tomorrow, I haven't tried one of those yet...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2009, 10:30:58 pm »

It was sort of depressing how the zoo monsters won't attack you unless attacked, it's like they don't care if I kill them.

Most monsters are generated asleep. So if you haven't done anything to wake them (e.g. kicking things, aggravate monster intrinsic), you can fight them one by one.

(Sartak says to never put unidentified wands in your bag of holding)

Yup, D&D reference. Bag of Holding is a device to access an alternate dimension... if you put one BoH inside another... *BOOM*! The bags explode, or if the DM is already annoyed by the players, the universe is destroyed as the dimensions are ripped apart.

attempt to ID my newest batch of rings, I found a +4 ring of gain constitution, which'll come in handy, maybe.

Nope! Those +stat rings are usually not worth the ring-hunger. You can polypile it into something else though...

The bag of holding and I are going to be best friends for a long time, cause anything that'll foster my packrat tendencies is fine by me.

Remember to bless it asap though. That not only makes its carrying capacity much higher, it is also one step away from being cursed. Cursed BoH weighs a ton and items may disappear.

Wow, I'm either becoming a better player or the Random Number Gods are well-pleased with me.

RNGod is never pleased with anyone. When you think you're lucky, having all those neat tools and artifacts, you are already well on the way to a spectacular or insanely stupid death, thoughtfully prepared by the RNGod. :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 24, 2009, 03:19:57 am »

Heh, a new character every day. Some people might call you a coward for being afraid to die, but I think it's a very fun way to play.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 24, 2009, 08:30:15 am »

I have a blessed magic lamp, and a cursed magic lamp. Does my cursed one have infinite fuel also? I'd like to rub my Blessed one and get a wish, maybe for that Silver dragon mail or something.

I should wait for my luck to get better though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33:07 am »

A giant spider just killed me...

Giant Cave Spider?!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 24, 2009, 09:32:18 am »

I have a blessed magic lamp, and a cursed magic lamp. Does my cursed one have infinite fuel also? I'd like to rub my Blessed one and get a wish, maybe for that Silver dragon mail or something.

I should wait for my luck to get better though.

Cursed light source sometimes malfunction... so it's best to bless the cursed one twice, so that you have a reliable infinite light source as well as an emergency wish.

Blessed magic lamp gives you a wish 80% of the time. 5% you will get a djinni pet, 5% peaceful djinni, 5% djinni left immediately, 5% hostile djinni.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 24, 2009, 11:43:26 am »

My luck with Samurai's is something amazing.

My first Samurai I didn't take seriously, I found a scroll shop, which had probably 40 scrolls in it. I found a bunch of scrolls of identify, and, seeing as how they didn't stack, I assumed one of them was blessed. So, with this assumption, I picked up every scroll in the shop and then started reading the unpaid scrolls of identify, and I struck gold, one of them was blessed, and I got the 1/5 chance of it identifying everything in my inventory. So now I had 90% of all the scrolls in the game identified at the second dungeon level! However, I saw a scroll of teleportation was among the scrolls that I identified, and I thought "I wonder if I could get away with stealing all this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first and best steal attempt. However, soon after that picture was taken, I got swarmed by keystone kops (whose rubber hoses were much stronger than I anticipated) and I died.

My second Samurai, I found a general store with some more scrolls of identify, and seeing that they didn't stack... JACKPOT! I picked up all the items of interest and got them all identified. Now, instead of stealing, I just bought the things I wanted and now I have a good number of potions, a couple rings, and some of the better scrolls ID'd.

I found another shop, this time an antique weapons shop, and I have a question, do shurikens have a chance to break when fired, like darts and arrows?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 24, 2009, 12:14:32 pm »

samurais's do seem to have an uncanny(out of game) luck, Ive always gotten through ususaly hopeless situations with Samurai's before. As well as that time i game I had 3 amulets of life with one. 2 from stores, one off the ground if I remember correctly.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 24, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »

I have to say, this is my favorite line from a spoiler ever:

"If you ever find a $400 price-id'ed wand in a shop, you should never pay for it. Zap it at the Shopkeeper. It's either a wand of death (in which case you now own everything in the shop), or a wand of wishing (in which case, wish for a wand of death)."

;D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:11 pm »

I have to say, this is my favorite line from a spoiler ever:

"If you ever find a $400 price-id'ed wand in a shop, you should never pay for it. Zap it at the Shopkeeper. It's either a wand of death (in which case you now own everything in the shop), or a wand of wishing (in which case, wish for a wand of death)."

;D

Actually, it's wands that are 500 zorkmids, not 400. About this strategy, I'd say it's only worthwhile if you:

A) Are chaotic

Or

B) Are lawful or neutral and DON'T have telepathy.

Because while the -2 luck is bad, losing telepathy is heartbreaking. I'd much rather just cough up the 500 zorkmids than hunt for another floating eye corpse.

I haven't gotten a wand of wishing yet, and I'm hesitant to use the blessed magic lamp that my Valkyrie has.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:53:05 pm by chaoticjosh »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »

and I have a question, do shurikens have a chance to break when fired, like darts and arrows?

Yup. Dagger is the only projectile that doesn't disappear. Others have a lower chance of disappearing if enchanted, and when highly enchanted they almost never disappear.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »

That's intensely lame, I wanted to throw ninja stars at monsters all day!

How am I supposed to get expert in something that's so rare AND can break?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »

Enchant them first, then you can. Ninja star is a rare weapon, few players choose to get trained in it.

Your chance to hit is actually highly influenced by your character level... skills become meaningless later on. Ranged skills still mandate how many projectiles you can let loose in a single turn though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »

Enchant them first, then you can. Ninja star is a rare weapon, few players choose to get trained in it.

Your chance to hit is actually highly influenced by your character level... skills become meaningless later on. Ranged skills still mandate how many projectiles you can let loose in a single turn though.

I know that enchanting'em will decrease the likelyhood of them breaking, but it just seems not worth it to collect that many enchant weapon scrolls and a potion of holy water just to use on a pile of rare throwing stars that you're unskilled in, and will probably break anyway. Resources like that could be better spent elsewhere. It seems more like a novelty item than an actual strategy is what I'm trying to say, sort of like slings, which CAN be used, but is not worth the effort because carrying around any sizeable amount of ammunition puts a gigantic damper on your carrying capacity, and normal rocks are pathetic in damage AND flint stones are hard to find (I've never found any in a normal game) so unless you start with some, it's just a waste of time it seems.

Atleast, that's how I see it.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 25, 2009, 01:09:27 am »

I know that enchanting'em will decrease the likelyhood of them breaking, but it just seems not worth it to collect that many enchant weapon scrolls and a potion of holy water just to use on a pile of rare throwing stars that you're unskilled in, and will probably break anyway. Resources like that could be better spent elsewhere. It seems more like a novelty item than an actual strategy is what I'm trying to say, sort of like slings, which CAN be used, but is not worth the effort because carrying around any sizeable amount of ammunition puts a gigantic damper on your carrying capacity, and normal rocks are pathetic in damage AND flint stones are hard to find (I've never found any in a normal game) so unless you start with some, it's just a waste of time it seems.

Atleast, that's how I see it.

Agreed about throwing stars... but there are other niche weapon types that are actually useful, like a lance or grappling hook.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 128