Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176364 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »

EDIT: Can one look at the record board without having a character die?

I think by invoking 'nethack -s' or something.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2009, 01:53:41 pm »

Turn off the auto load option, make a new character, and speed run it. Should take about 5 minutes to die.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2009, 02:56:11 pm »

After a struggle with TWO werecreatures in a row, some nasty mimics, and wrestling a leprechaun to death, my latest Orcish Rogue has found a wand of death in a shop, which, with a quick zap, I gratefully liberated from the shopkeeper.

I've got a good Rogue goin, but an unfortunate misclick has got me a cursed ring of hunger on my right hand with no immediate way of freeing myself from it. Once I get it off though, I'll be much better off.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »

Pray.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2009, 03:38:09 pm »

To answer your previous question, Josh, I find co-aligned alters in minetown with every other samurai (what I normally get to mine town with).  I told my brother and he gave me the middle finger.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2009, 06:31:55 pm »

Yes, ring of conflict is the best explination.

Anyway you guys over analyze the game too much, just go and PLAY.

I play everyday on my mobile. :)
lucky bastard...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

Nethack on a mobile? Pretty sweet.

It's a O2mini, Windows CE. I've tested the PocketPC build of NetHack 3.4.3 on newer Windows Mobile (I got access to plenty of them at work), and found buttons in dialogs don't work anymore, so you never get to start a game because you're stuck at the "who are you" dialog.

So when I upgrade my phone I'll have to fix it myself...

Doing a Dwarven caveman now.

Caveman's a weaker class... very poor equipment and not so great combat abilities. Poison resist and allowed to eat your own species are the only advantages.

Anyone else think that the Minetown altar is rigged? It has never once been co-aligned for me.

The RNGod is a bitch...

How Kcwong, have you ever ascended? Can I see the score of your best character?

I've never ascended, but I have a few characters in Gehennom, still alive. Elf wizard is the best, he's at the bottom looking for the vibrating square. A tourist is in the second place, a valkyrie the third, then a barbarian. I usually can make it past sokoban and mine's end and often reach the castle.

EDIT: Can one look at the record board without having a character die?

Save scum. Backup your save, load it and #quit. People doing extinctionist runs use this method to check if they've killed them all or not.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:42:06 pm by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »

I just like playing a little of everything, I feel guilty that I have so many save files of so many different characters, cause I'm not giving them all enough attention.

Also, I think you made a mistake, Cavemen don't have poison resistance, that's barbarians IIRC. They do have penalty-free cannibalism though.

Anyway, I just keep running into good luck after good luck with my Orcish Rogue. I found another shop, and taking a quick look around, I saw that he was selling a Fire Brand! An artifact weapon in a shop, I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately, it cost 16,000 zorkmids, and I only had 2500~ zorkmids from the other shopkeeper I killed. Fortunately for me, I have the 100% off everything coupon known as the wand of death. So now I have a FireBrand.

Throwing all my spare, unidentified potions into a stash inside MY new shop, I got ambushed by a mountain nymph. Took my +2 dwarven shield, but then I got a great idea. I used my towel+telepathy to ascertain where the nymph zoomed off to, and then I dropped all my things, and went to harass a nymph. Using this, I tricked the nymph into stealing the cursed ring of hunger off my finger. I found that there are two Nymphs on the level, and I need to figure a way to kill them both and travel across safely with all my awesome new stuff.

Now, I just need to decide whether I should go to Minetown, or do Sokoban. For info, I have a ring of levitation, so I should be able to bypass the entire puzzle part of Sokoban, and go straight for the treasure.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »

For info, I have a ring of levitation, so I should be able to bypass the entire puzzle part of Sokoban, and go straight for the treasure.
I don't think that'll work.  The Sokoban pits give the message "a gush of air pulls you down the hole" which you don't get with most holes.

The puzzles are easy though, and you can find good items under the rocks.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 21, 2009, 09:02:03 pm »

Weren't the pits drafty or something, preventing you from flying over them?  Maybe that was a different version...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:53 pm »

Nope, that's how it is.

I've been having fun lately running female Dwarven Archeologists named Urist. Using only a pick and throwing daggers.

It's like a better DF Adventure mode!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2009, 11:29:03 pm »

Nope, that's how it is.

I've been having fun lately running female Dwarven Archeologists named Urist. Using only a pick and throwing daggers.

It's like a better DF Adventure mode!
No! Until you can throw vomit and flies, it is inferior to DF's adventure mode.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2009, 11:43:05 pm »

I just like playing a little of everything, I feel guilty that I have so many save files of so many different characters, cause I'm not giving them all enough attention.

Also, I think you made a mistake, Cavemen don't have poison resistance, that's barbarians IIRC. They do have penalty-free cannibalism though.

Ah... you're correct. My future cavemen and cavewomen characters thank you.

No! Until you can throw vomit and flies, it is inferior to DF's adventure mode.

You can vomit and fly in NH... you probably don't want to vomit in NH though, and you definitely cannot throw that vomit and kill a giant with it. :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:47:38 pm by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2009, 07:24:58 am »

Reading about some of the classes, the wiki says that some classes have a "special spell", but it never goes into detail about what a "special spell" is. For example, the Monk's special spell is 'Restore Ability', but my Monk didn't start with that spell.

Can someone clear up what that means?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:28 am »

Reading about some of the classes, the wiki says that some classes have a "special spell", but it never goes into detail about what a "special spell" is. For example, the Monk's special spell is 'Restore Ability', but my Monk didn't start with that spell.

Can someone clear up what that means?

When a monk has high alignment and luck, he/she might get crowned when praying. A spellbook of Restore Ability will be gifted when that happens. Monks are more skilled casting Restore Ability compared to other spells, enjoying a better chance of successfully casting it.

See this table: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Emergency_spell#Role_penalties
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 128