Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176408 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2009, 11:52:39 pm »

Well, what WOULD work to get the luckstone out of the trap?

If you are at least basic in flail, you will be give a list to choose. That way you can pull the luckstone out. Healer starts untrained in flail, so the effect was chosen randomly. In the end one of my pet dog moved onto it without triggering the trap (you can also try escaping the trap yourself). I saw that it picked up the stone and blew my magic whistle.

A wand of teleport would also work, but then you'll have to hunt it down somewhere in the maze, hopefully not eaten by a rock mule (do they eat gray stones?)... a potion of object detection would help here if it's not teleported into a stack of something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2009, 11:56:59 pm »

What do you suggest against horribly fast, deadly creatures (ants, horses, centaurs, DOGS!)?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2009, 12:04:49 am »

And Air Elementals?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2009, 12:48:02 am »

What do you suggest against horribly fast, deadly creatures (ants, horses, centaurs, DOGS!)?

For horses, cats and dogs, tame them by throwing them food (fruit/vegetable for horse, ration/fortune cookie/corpse for cats and dogs). If you can't spare the food, throw them some food they don't eat (swap food used for taming) - that will make them peaceful.

Centaurs shoot on approach. Use the landscape to avoid its arrows/bolts. Ants are the most common reason of death on many Nethack servers. People often say "Go team ant!" when they see someone killed by an ant. They come in a group, move fast, hit hard, so the best way to deal with them is to stay in a corridor, and fight them one by one. Rothes are very similar with ants, in that they often appear earlier than you can handle them.

Some general hints on dealing with them...
1) Keep your pet with you, and let it fight for you.
Your pet is stronger than you early on, even for combat wombats like Valkyrie. If you let your pet fight and eat, it will level up and gain more HP. A large dog/cat can handle most things easily all the way to end of Sokoban and Gnomish Mines (except the guard captain). Chat with them to get a general idea of how healthy they are. Their response change when they are hurt or hungry. If you keep a tripe ration in your open (i.e. not inside bags) inventory, your pet will stick much closer to you.

2) Train a ranged attack. Bow for rangers, dagger for almost all others. Priests may choose sling or just use dagger anyway. They can't hit back when you're not next to them.

3) Run before trouble starts. Try to obtain telepathy early (eat a floating eye corpse, then find a blindfold or towel to blind yourself) and use that to check.

4) Use Elbereth liberally. It's a legit tool to be used unless you're aiming for illiterate conduct.

5) Enter gnomish mine with your pet (hopefully upgraded by now). hang around the stairs, and wait for some gnome or dwarf to wander by. Then let your pet plays with them, and you pickup whatever armor they have. Go back to main branch and pet-check for cursed items, then don them. It's good even for spellcasters like wizard, because you shouldn't be casting attack spells early on (they are weak, miss a lot and makes you hungry quickly). If you need to cast spells (e.g. healing) you can take off some armor first.

6) Upgrade your pet to large version, and tame another one if possible. Then skip the gnomish mines and hit the Sokoban early. The large amount of food there, and the boulder-pushing exercises are good for you. Take only one pet if you're still clearing the puzzle, leave the others on the level before.

7) Boulder fort! Wear a hard helmet (i.e. not elven), and read non-cursed scroll of earth you found in Sokoban level 1. Only giants can bypass it. There you can rest and keep throwing things out. Bless ones won't hurt you, normal ones will drop a boulder on your head (1d20 dmg, 2 dmg when wearing hard helmet).

8) Got any unidentified wands or potions? It maybe the time to try them out now. Potions can be drank or thrown; wands can be zapped or applied (if you have the HP to endure the blast http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Wand#Breaking_wands).

And Air Elementals?

Usually by the time I see air elementals, I laugh at their damage output. A round or two dagger storm or melee for combat wombats and they're dead. Being engulfed is actually a way to get away from trouble if you have godly AC (AC gives damage reduction).

If you mean those in plane of air, well, I haven't made it there yet. But I heard people suggesting wand of teleport or death.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »

Air elementals in the plane of air is the least of your worries at that point in the game.

Chaoticjosh: Why are you still worried about dogs? Exactly how far are you in the game...?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:22 pm »

Oh, it's just that I feel compelled to start new characters every now and then, and a good number of deaths are because of them.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »

My most common deaths come from werecreatures...

Any tips?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2009, 02:41:16 pm »

Alright, I went on to the Nethack IRC chat personally to ask that question.

Generally, always keep a silver weapon handy. They respect Elbereth but ONLY in their animal form. They can only infect you in animal form. They can't open doors in their animal form.

Lycanthropy is pretty cool, but incredibly hazardous.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2009, 02:46:02 pm »

NO!!!!!  My best armor.........RUINED!!!!!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »

NO!!!!!  My best armor.........RUINED!!!!!

There are several possibilities, but I'm placing my bet on a scroll of destroy armor. ;)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2009, 01:30:52 am »

Lycanthropy is pretty cool, but incredibly hazardous.
I just lost a very promising rogue to Lycanthropy, I hate this crud...  :(

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2009, 02:30:16 am »

Wait till you encounter gnomes with wands of polymorph.

"Die knaves! Hey what th-"
*zap*
<You have been polymorphed into an orange slime>
<Your armor bursts into pieces>
"Burble..."
*zap*
<You have been polymorphed into a unicorn>
"Neigh!"
*zap*
<You have been polymorphed into a human>
"Sweet! Male valkyrie... wait... why are my stats so horrible?"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2009, 07:13:15 am »

That reminds me.  If it's never been mentioned before, do not polymorph yourself into a human.  If you have to be a human, wait for the polymorph duration to expire or whatever.  Polymorphing into a human can kill you.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2009, 04:49:55 pm »

Any good way to get a spell area up? And is there a hardcap on how many schools of magic you can raise?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2009, 05:50:14 pm »

I just managed to reach mine town for the second time as a samurai.  The altar is co-aligned  ;D

Things are probably about to go horribly wrong . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 128