Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176415 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2009, 01:58:33 pm »

To me, glitches, weapons and cheats are features of a game that you can choose to ingnore, use or abuse at your will. If you want to not use them for the challange they erase, fine by me. If you think that using certain features ruins a game, then by all means ignore it. Of course, no one likes a jackass, so I condone cheating on multiplayer games, but thats about it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:50 pm »

To me, glitches, weapons and cheats are features of a game that you can choose to ingnore, use or abuse at your will. If you want to not use them for the challange they erase, fine by me. If you think that using certain features ruins a game, then by all means ignore it. Of course, no one likes a jackass, so I condone cheating on multiplayer games, but thats about it.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with cheating either... and limitedly on Multiplayer games (I never cared that people duplicated objects in Diablo... I did care that they murdered people with cheats on Diablo).

I don't like when people sometimes refer to a cheat/bug/glitch as not one since cheating is so superfluous. (I'll put the E-Engraving as a secret)

The only thing people should be worried about with respect to cheating is that it could make a game boring though some cheats only exist to make a game more fun oddly...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »

Man, even old text adventures let you cheat!  All that XYZZY and PLUGH stuff that was put in the game, hidden, and gave you a huge advantage over people who didn't know it.  Totally unfair.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:50 pm »

Engraving Elbereth is not a cheat. It's added to the game with full intention for it to be used. Or not.

1. If you eat fortune cookies or consult the Oracle, one of the hints is that "Elbereth is often written about".
2. Elbereth exists as another reference to Lord of the Rings.
3. In the last room of Sokoban, Elbereth is burned onto the floor with the prize placed on it, both to protect the prize (most of the time) and demonstrate its use.
4. In case of not using Elbereth, a conduct called "illiterate" exists that require you not writing anything.
5. Many monsters do not respect Elbereth. All @'s, minotaurs and riders. Elves being one early example that will kill you while you stand still.
6. Elbereth does not save you from ranged or spell attacks.

It's basically a useful tool to be used by new players. Advanced players don't really need it - they would be long gone before they are in a situation requiring Elbereth.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:20:22 pm by kcwong »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2009, 11:38:16 am »

Wow, so this is what NetHack discussion looks like on other boards... Instead of complaining about Pudding Farming we get complaints about the E-word. I don't get it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:22 am »

Probably the most farming I ever did was take all my junk and old gear, threw it in a pile, and kept casting polymorph on it until I got some useful stuff.

I don't have the patience for regular farming and grinding.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »

My farming consists of using all the bag of tricks and create monster scrolls and wands I have near an co-aligned altar.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:44 am »

I tried a healer. My past healers didn't do so well (some of those are protection dives), but this one is promising.

Found some armor with pluses early on, gauntlets of power plus a wand of fire. Add a stack of daggers and that greatly increased my healer's chances.

Sokoban was easily done with one large dog. The final zoo gave me another pet, so I didn't have to fight at all.

Heading to the mines I found a silver saber, so I went ahead and improved to skilled in it. Picked up another dog in mine town, and the temple was co-aligned.

The end of the mines was the most annoying version - with luckstone on top of a level teleporter trap. I remembered there's an iron hook in mine town, so I went back for it. But turned out even though with 25 Str, I had no skill in using it. I ended up pulling myself onto the trap twice. In the end it was one of my three dogs that got the luckstone off the trap. Yay for magic whistle.

Now I need to pause a bit and play something else, so I'll be less confident when I load the game again... that will also go a long way to increase my chances...

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2009, 08:43:56 am »

This game is sooooo damn addictive, I can't stop playing.
I'm gonna try a healer now.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2009, 09:34:02 am »

I went back to the temple to do some ID'ing... I got 2 cursed magic lamps! A prayer later and I got my blessed fixed +2 gray dragon scale mail! Together with the "oR from Soko and the silver shield I found in an early armor shop, I'm all set for castle!

... well, except for the water. I need to find a ring of levitation or water walking boots.

Update: Found a pair of cursed levitation boots. Looks like I will have to walk all the way back from DL12 to DL5 (mine town, via DL2) to have its curse removed.

Food's a bit tight even when I'm down to just one pet, especially when there's no boulders around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:30:05 am by kcwong »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2009, 11:45:07 am »

Got a tinning kit?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »

I tried a healer. My past healers didn't do so well (some of those are protection dives), but this one is promising.

Found some armor with pluses early on, gauntlets of power plus a wand of fire. Add a stack of daggers and that greatly increased my healer's chances.

Sokoban was easily done with one large dog. The final zoo gave me another pet, so I didn't have to fight at all.

Heading to the mines I found a silver saber, so I went ahead and improved to skilled in it. Picked up another dog in mine town, and the temple was co-aligned.

The end of the mines was the most annoying version - with luckstone on top of a level teleporter trap. I remembered there's an iron hook in mine town, so I went back for it. But turned out even though with 25 Str, I had no skill in using it. I ended up pulling myself onto the trap twice. In the end it was one of my three dogs that got the luckstone off the trap. Yay for magic whistle.

Now I need to pause a bit and play something else, so I'll be less confident when I load the game again... that will also go a long way to increase my chances...
Would kicking it have worked?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

the key to nethack is to avoid tempting fate.

and pray fate isn't gonna be a bitch.(or rather, pray "when" fate is a bitch)

in fact, prepare for your fate like it's nearly inevitable, only tempting it to escape it.

I'd tell all about my adventure, but I stopped playing nethack over a year ago.

my keyboard doesn't have enough keys for nethack or DF.

keys are the key to beating nethack! muahahah

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:50:16 pm by eerr »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »

Got a tinning kit?

Nope... tinning kit's rather rare for me, unless I play Indiana Jones. For others that can find one it's usually too heavy. But yeah, it would be very nice for my current healer.

Would kicking it have worked?

Not in that particular version... it has three possible locations for luckstone, and all of them are in a corner. The luckstone and flint are always generated on level teleport traps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2009, 11:47:40 pm »

Well, what WOULD work to get the luckstone out of the trap?

EDIT: Also, does anyone else experience an UNNERVING number of fatalities to small dogs?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 128