Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176413 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

Aren't those things knives? Not daggers?

Athames are ceremonial daggers; they are double-bladed.

Anyway, there's also jousting, which makes knights very useful.

Jousting is more of a late game thing though... you need to highly enchant your lance before using it, or once it breaks you will probably need a wish to get a new one. And it's quite difficult to keep your horse fed... take the bridle and tame a dragon will give much better result.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2009, 09:37:34 pm »

I still think you're being overly scrupulous about Elbereth, Umiman. It's not like it's cheating, the dev team put it in there deliberately to be used and is an intended gameplay feature, the wiki says so. What you're doing is taking a look at Elbereth, a valuable tool at your disposal, and throwing it away because it goes against your honor or something.

The one thing I like about Knights is that the jump ability can be used to cross over Elbereth's without disturbing them. So you can cordon off rooms by writing Elbereth in front of each door, placing a coin on top, and then you can just jump through the doors. You can designate these as "safe rooms" if you like, which would be valuable rest stops.

Anyway, I'm finally building up a half-decent Archaeologist, I'll update as I go.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:25 am »

I still think you're being overly scrupulous about Elbereth, Umiman. It's not like it's cheating, the dev team put it in there deliberately to be used and is an intended gameplay feature, the wiki says so.

I don't know. Just because Developers put something in the game deliberatley it doesn't mean it isn't cheating. Unless you specifically find this tidbit out yourself (if possible) it is cheating as far as I am concerned. Though MANY Roguelikes require heavy doses of cheating to win (Such as IVAN).

Though I will say... Who cares if you cheat in your own game? especially with Nethack. Why people have this urge to justify their cheating or even hide it is beyond me, cheating in single player games (or even limitedly in multiplayer games) isn't all that bad.

The only people who care outside the individual are the "Pros" (Quotations intended) and often the developers.

If he doesn't want to cheat, more power to him. If he wants to cheat it doesn't matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2009, 12:24:46 am »

I still think you're being overly scrupulous about Elbereth, Umiman. It's not like it's cheating, the dev team put it in there deliberately to be used and is an intended gameplay feature, the wiki says so.

I don't know. Just because Developers put something in the game deliberatley it doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

Oops, sorry, you're wrong. That's like saying using fireballs in mario games is cheating, the developers put it in the game for the express purpose of it being used. Not using it if you want to challenge yourself, that's fine, not using it because of some inborn desire to be fair or appeal to an imagined ideal is just impractical, and impracticality kills in Nethack.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2009, 01:08:05 am »

I never said other people can't use them. I just said I won't use it. It doesn't matter if the devs put it in there, just like how I never use the "retreat" function in Company of Heroes, I won't use Elbereth.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:17 am »

Fine, fine. You just keep charging then. Charge charge charge.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2009, 01:42:40 am »

Fine, fine. You just keep charging then. Charge charge charge.
I also won the game within a week of first discovering it.  8)

Hehe, come to think of it, I can't think of any single moment in my life where I considered retreating as an option. Maybe that's why I suck so bad at DoTA... since you need to run away all the time in that game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2009, 03:41:33 am »

I'm getting an AWESOME dwarven archaeologist so far. I have 2 magic lamps (in case I ever find a way to bless one and get a wish), found a blessed +3 sling (off some random kobold!), a dwarven mithril coat (bought fair and square), a pair of speed boots AND jumping boots (bought at the same store for under 100 zorks), I found a spellbook of polymorph (which I can't use yet, but it's hanging around), got some floating eye meat (telepathy!), a towel (blindness on command!), a number of other useful tools, and best of all, I found the Grayswandir from the bones of my priest I was playing earlier, and it's not cursed! Archaeologists can get expert in Sabers, so OH YEAH!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:16 am »

I think my game just became unwinnable, apperently I somehow changed from Chaotic to neutral and now I canīt do my Quest, any idears how I can go back to Chaotic?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2009, 12:04:45 pm »

I think you can change from any alignment back to Chaotic by sacrificing a member of your own race.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »

Oops, sorry, you're wrong. That's like saying using fireballs in mario games is cheating, the developers put it in the game for the express purpose of it being used.

WOW... I expected more from you. I mean using a horribly unrelated example? ohh I shouldn't say unrelated because they are both "Put into the game intentionally".

Well since you obviously weren't alive during the days of Doom here is a list of Cheat codes for a game called Heretic
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/code/562682.html

The Engraving functions more like a functional cheat code. Though you may say "Well you have to write it in game" then I have to bring up that other games such as Banjo also make you input the cheats in game. (Let us not forget that some games have unlockable cheats such as Golden Eye).

Putting something in the game doesn't exempt it from being a "Cheat" if it wasn't put into the game then it called a Bug, Glitch, or Hack.

Sheesh why do people even bother to justify cheating... there is nothing wrong with it in a Single player games (and some multiplayer games) and especially a game like Nethack which is pretty much set up to require such.

The only other thing the engraving can be other then a cheat is a secret. Though I think the clues are rather slim at best, the ONLY clue if I remember is that someone says something like "We shake at Blaw blaw blaw's name" or something like that, so if what I am saying is true then it is a secret. Only looking it up is cheating. (It isn't comparable to the Fireflower where you will find it no matter what. As you can play Nethack and never find out the engraving trick)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:46:17 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »

Whatever Neonivek, I'm not debating with you if you're just going to patronize me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2009, 01:49:58 pm »

Whatever Neonivek, I'm not debating with you if you're just going to patronize me.

Alrighty then, well at least I covered all the bases.

Though I should state that it isn't Patronization it is true disapointment since the Fireflower example is actually insulting and not using a cheat code example does mean you weren't alive during the Doom Era (1990s would probably do it) so it is rather an application of logic on the second.

So your a bit off again and I am not going to be playing the "Misunderstanding" game tonight. Got too much of it from that Ghostbusters forum.

Me: "This game looks way too easy"
Guy: "Not everyone likes Dante must die mode"
Me: "In no way did I say I want this game to be that hard. No I meant this game looks like you don't even need to try"
Guy: "Well Mario was easy and it was fun"
Me: "It looks easier then Mario"
Guy: "Well difficulty has nothing to do with fun"
Me: "As an aspect of gameplay difficulty can bring down the fun factor"

Luckly I have so little to do I can make these posts.

As for Nethack, remember to always carry around those Eggs when you got safe gloves. They are an instant kill on many creatures.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:55:36 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

I didn't imply you were a little kid Neon, so I have no idea why you're implying I am.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2009, 01:56:12 pm »

I didn't imply you were a little kid Neon, so I have no idea why you're implying I am.

1990 would make you 19 years old (or 18 >.>)... adult age. It also puts you at an age where it is possible not to know what cheat codes are.

On a side note: I have no idea why Cheat codes have kinda died down.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:58:31 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128