Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176427 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2009, 01:01:21 pm »

Can someone explain the strength caps that the wiki uses?

I mean, it uses a number like 18/50 or 18/** and I don't know what that means.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2009, 01:23:52 pm »

I was playing an orcish ranger when, at level 5, my pet began fighting a mole dog, the bastard dug a hole in closed shop's wall and the pet chased him in. Then:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love Nethack, I wanna how far I can get with that ranger.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2009, 02:56:42 pm »

Can someone explain the strength caps that the wiki uses?

I mean, it uses a number like 18/50 or 18/** and I don't know what that means.

Like all attributes, strength ranges between 3 and 25. However, as in early editions of Dungeons and Dragons, strength has the unique property that values between 18 and 19 are given in percentage terms rather than jumping straight from 18 to 19 as with other attributes. For example, a strength of 18/35 means roughly that one is 35% of the way between 18 strength and 19 strength. Depending on race, most characters can attain a maximum strength of 18/** in their natural form. Note that, for gameplay purposes, the only differences between a strength of 18/** and 25 is that 25 allows you to throw Mjollnir and possibly to carry more.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2009, 03:27:46 pm »

Is there any way other than those gauntlets to get 25 strength?
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:26 pm »

I've finally got an awesome wizard going!

He started with a ring of slow digestion and a ring of regeneration. Slipping the slow digestion ring on has made my food worries a thing of the past, and the I just slip on the regeneration ring for fast, painless healing whenever I need it. I've also stumbled onto a ring of levitation, a wand of digging, a wand of teleportation, boots of stealth, and a number of great scrolls.

I've also finally managed to put Elbereth to good use, even more so with the levitation ring.

Going through the gnomish mines as the GNOME SLAYER!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2009, 06:26:27 pm »

For a wizard, that is quite an accomplishment.

Not quite so much for a Valkyrie or monk, though  :(

Maybe a reasonable one for a samurai.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »

real men play tourists.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2009, 07:06:10 pm »

reAl man playz samuria

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »

Oh my God, I've just got such an awesome start!  A wizard with a scroll of identify, a scroll of remove curse, a ring of slow digestion, and a wand of opening, as well as a potion of speed (how long does that last?).  Not as good as Josh's, but if I can just get a magic marker . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »

Is there any way other than those gauntlets to get 25 strength?

Gauntlets of power is the only way. Otherwise each race has a different maximum natural strength score, which you can slowly reach by pushing lots of boulders (which exercises strength) and eating giant corpses or royal jellies (which you can find in a bee hive, a randomly generated room full of killer bees).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »

Hey Legolord, is your Wizard an Orc like mine?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:17 am »

Note that, for gameplay purposes, the only differences between a strength of 18/** and 25 is that 25 allows you to throw Mjollnir and possibly to carry more.

Note that throwing Mjollnir is for Valkyries only... and even then, there's 1% chance that Mjollnir won't return to her. And among that 99% chance, there's 1% chance that Mjollnir will hit you instead, shocking you and destroying wands and rings even when you have shock resistance. If you are stunned/fumbling/blind/confused/etc then the chance to catch Mjollnir is 0%.

You really don't want to become weaponless when fighting monsters, hit by an artifact weapon, shocked and with many of your rings and wands in open inventory exploding. Not even if that's just 1% chance.

It's an evil trap laid by the devs that make you think "cool!" and then kill you when you least expect it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 11:17:28 am »

Hey, is it possible to start up another game when you have a saved game already, and not screw it up?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »

Hey, is it possible to start up another game when you have a saved game already, and not screw it up?

Yes.

I've seen some weird versions of Nethack that auto-reload your last save when you start it up, but the vast vast majority will ask you for your name even when there is a save already there--and those ones can handle it, yes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »

Hey Legolord, is your Wizard an Orc like mine?
Well, he was :(

He be dead now, boiy.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 128