Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176450 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 05:27:52 pm »

My favorite class is Samurai.  And I'm not changing my class, ever.  I must win this game....sometime.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:45 pm »

I once had an amazingly good start as a wizard.  I had a bottle of holy water, and a spellbook of identify.  Then I ruined it by holding down an arrow key out of impatience, and running into a floating eye until the coyote that sped up to me in that short time had bitten me to death.

Would I be correct in guessing that using a tinning kit to tin a corpse will keep the corpse fresh for eating?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:51:36 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »

It reduces its food output though. I think its 50 food per tinned corpse. However, you still get full benefits from eating the corpse, so if your pretty full and need to eat a dragon, tinning it will drop it down to a reasonable size.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 06:04:22 pm »

Has anyone tried the DS version of this? It seems good, but has a hardly readable font...

Me.
Oh man.
Well, in DS, I have reached level 3 with a samurai, then die stupidly again... To one of the monsters, I presume? Idk, I forgot. Damn, it was hell to play that, with the unreadable texts and all of that.

I haven't played Nethack seriously on computer, though. I'll keep it until I have a major free time, which is just 2 weeks in the future. I know I'll be dead and dead like roaches into pesticides.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 11:39:44 pm »

[ S ]earch for them. In the mines. Constantly.
2. Eating a ring of searching... not sure about Excalibur.

Excalibur when wielded gives you auto-searching... but it does not have 100% success rate either.

That's why I don't make the mines my first stop... I visit Sokoban first, so my pet and I got to level up a bit, and I get good chance to pickup poison resistance along way. A poisoned spike trap may kill you outright.

I'd say you level up too much... I usually hit Sokoban at level 6 or so. If you let your pet fight more since level 1, it'd be a large cat/dog by then and should be able to handle most situations in Soko. You can usually pickup another pet along the way, and there's often one in the final zoo that you can tame.

Yay Roguelike logic. Intentionally don't succeed so that everything will be easier for you.

Could be worse I guess... in IVAN the difficulty is based off of your health (And other things but heath spawns tougher enemies). So if you equip the health raising items you will find yourself overwhelmed by difficult enemies. This makes an otherwise useful object quite useless unless you use the Chest Cheat.

In NetHack monsters are generated according to your level and dungeon level (i.e. how deep). If you level up quickly without the equipment to match, you might find yourself in trouble. That's especially true at the earlier levels, when you haven't found and identified enough items to aid you. So let your pet fight for you. Learn to keep a pet will help you a lot.

But that's not easy either... you must find ways to keep your pets close to you, find ways to know their status, and find enough food for yourself for carnivorous pets would eat them all.

Of course, it's a roguelike, so you are always at the mercy of the RN God. One early stone fall trap and you will have to do without a pet.

Orange Drink

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 03:51:46 am »

Are rangers ever good in melee?  Try monks or Valkyries.  I've gotten farthest with those.
As a starting non-combat-wombat character you are fragile... rangers are not supposed to go toe-to-toe with things. Use your speed and bow. Grab some daggers for throwing.

You're both talking like I care a lot.

I don't like D&D and Nethack and all of it's clones, because of it's constant repetitive hackyness, and your obsession with D&D worries me that DF will eventually be engulfed in your silly suggestions and become another fairly useless corner of the internet.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 04:20:50 am »

Are rangers ever good in melee?  Try monks or Valkyries.  I've gotten farthest with those.
As a starting non-combat-wombat character you are fragile... rangers are not supposed to go toe-to-toe with things. Use your speed and bow. Grab some daggers for throwing.

You're both talking like I care a lot.

I don't like D&D and Nethack and all of it's clones, because of it's constant repetitive hackyness, and your obsession with D&D worries me that DF will eventually be engulfed in your silly suggestions and become another fairly useless corner of the internet.

You care enough to reply that your ranger died, and then this illogical, hateful reply.

And I don't see this thread has anything to do with suggesting new features for DF, or anything to do with DF other than being in the Other Games subforum in Bay12Games.

Don't you know the motto of DF? "Losing is Fun". There is no point to winning or losing in DF. You can make the most successful, biggest and productive fortress ever. Or make the most horrible failure even worse than Boatmurdered. As long as it's fun.

Nethack shares that spirit.

Many people never managed to ascend, but are still playing it. It's not all about winning or losing. It's the experience of the struggle in the Dungeons of Doom. It's the funny or silly situations, how you survive them or how to die.

For me, I killed 100 characters on the first day I started playing Nethack. I almost gave up on this "stupid" game, but I talked to another Nethack player. He gave me a few tips, and told me how careless and blind I was when playing the game. Nethack actually provide a lot of information to the player, but you have to be attentive and smart to get them.

I derive the most fun from Nethack currently by learning to deal with all kinds of situations, how to handle my mistakes and seeing my characters able to go deeper and deeper.

You could gave up and blame your failures on the game, sure. Or you could open your mind and start learning. It's your choice.

Orange Drink

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07:06 am »

You care enough to reply that your ranger died, and then this illogical, hateful reply.

I was posting that as a joke, not anything serious or insulting. I am sorry if it was.

And I don't see this thread has anything to do with suggesting new features for DF, or anything to do with DF other than being in the Other Games subforum in Bay12Games.

I do see loads of RPG inspired threads popping up there, and the fact that everyone loves D&D, That is where I assume they come from. I am also sorry if I am incorrect.

Don't you know the motto of DF? "Losing is Fun". There is no point to winning or losing in DF. You can make the most successful, biggest and productive fortress ever. Or make the most horrible failure even worse than Boatmurdered. As long as it's fun.

Nethack shares that spirit.

Many people never managed to ascend, but are still playing it. It's not all about winning or losing. It's the experience of the struggle in the Dungeons of Doom. It's the funny or silly situations, how you survive them or how to die.

For me, I killed 100 characters on the first day I started playing Nethack. I almost gave up on this "stupid" game, but I talked to another Nethack player. He gave me a few tips, and told me how careless and blind I was when playing the game. Nethack actually provide a lot of information to the player, but you have to be attentive and smart to get them.

I derive the most fun from Nethack currently by learning to deal with all kinds of situations, how to handle my mistakes and seeing my characters able to go deeper and deeper.

I agree that there isn't much point in playing either of the games, but DF just appeals more to me than seeing if I can camp around in a dungeon, looking for traps.

You could gave up and blame your failures on the game, sure. Or you could open your mind and start learning. It's your choice.

You should open your mind to the fact that there are people who have different opinions than you, and learn to accept them without creating a giant flamewar.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:04 am »

You should open your mind to the fact that there are people who have different opinions than you, and learn to accept them without creating a giant flamewar.

He says, starting a giant flamewar  :D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 10:07:50 am »

That "search" feature. Does it only cover the tile in front of you or does it cover everything in a direction?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 11:02:36 am »

It searches all eight adjacent squares.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:52 am »

I want to point out that in my entire Nethack career, I have never for one single moment considered the "don't level up, in order to make the game easier".

I've never Ascended, either, but I've had a blast, and I don't recommend that anyone worry too much about their level.  The only thing I'd ever consider is that if you find a potion of gain experience while you're level two, you might as well save it until you hit, like, level five or ten or whatever you don't normally get past.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2009, 12:51:58 pm »

how do I turn off auto-pickup?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »

@

And the config files control which objects you pick up.
Auto-pickup takes no time, versus manual pickup.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2009, 01:19:07 pm »

Thanks a bunch.

The wiki talks of "attributes" but I don't know how to check them, so I don't know the stats of my character.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 128