Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176457 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »

Didnīt get past z-level 4 yet, but I am working on it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »

For ease of stealing, dump everything you want to steal in a bag or chest, normal works fine, and drop it one square from the entrance. Your pet will pick it up and carry everything out at once.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 03:53:03 pm »

Whoa.  That's a good idea.  I might try it.  (not just the stuff in the last post).

Thanks.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »

Nethack is awesome, I once had a VERY successful barbarian that actually made it to and killed Medusa. Unfortunately Elona has stolen my soul and I can't make myself go back to other Roguelikes.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

karmatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »

Yes i have been known to rip on Nethack for how idiosyncratic it may seem at times.. BUT it really is great.  I have been a dedicated gamer for some 20 years only happening upon Nethack 3-4 years ago.  I can say without hesitation it's a top 10 game for me personally and if dungeon crawlers and in particular roguelikes are your thing you must not miss out on this game.

I have a alt.org Valk going that is so promising I'm almost afraid to proceed.  I have yet to defeat this evil game ;)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 08:27:26 pm »

I get really lucky, but then spoil it by doing something stupid, like quaffing from a fountain.  Once though, ONCE, quaffing got me a grateful water demon.  Unfortunately, I kept typing "blessed +2 silver dragon scale male" wrong.  It gave me an unidentified diamond ring instead.  I later died quaffing something else, I think.

Wait.

Male=mail?

Edit:  Aw, man, that is what I did wrong.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:31:26 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »

So how do you let your cat steal something? Just wait until she brings it out?

As chaoticag said, feeding your cat increases its tameness, making it more likely to bring items next to you. With each item dropped next to you its tameness will decrease, so you will need lots of food to clean a shop.

For the best way to steal...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:37 am »

Is there ANY way to "spend" "use" "apply" "add" something like "skill, attritbute" points?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:42:05 am »

Doing an action (Attacking, casting, riding, etc.) will eventually raise the level of that action's skill. Use the #enhance command to get a list of your skills.

Has anyone tried the DS version of this? It seems good, but has a hardly readable font...

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 03:06:20 am »

My character entered the dungeon as a proud Male Samurai Human, who had managed to make it to the mining town as well as becoming somewhat wealthy. She left it as a filthy Cannibal Wererat, who used a Wand of Lightning on a Hill Orc too close to a wall and died. I really wanted her to live and escape dammit, she was my favorite character so far.

Wonders what a combined attack from a Wood Nymph, messing with a sink and subsequent summoning of bewitching foocubus can do to your characters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:19 am »

how idiosyncratic it may seem at times.. BUT it really is great

Naw it will always be short of great due to that. No game should just kill you off the way Nethack does.

It is good but Id never go as far as great unless they suddenly decided the "Death by secret hallway" is not conducive to good gameplay. (it is the ONLY reason I don't play...)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:23:50 am by Neonivek »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »

Could you be more specific about "Death by secret hallway"?  I've made custom mods to Nethack for people before, it's pretty easy considering it's open source and all :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »

Could you be more specific about "Death by secret hallway"?  I've made custom mods to Nethack for people before, it's pretty easy considering it's open source and all :D

It happens in the early game (After your down 7 floors you usually are powerful enough to ignore it) it is when you cannot advance further because hallways are hidden and thus you cannot pass through them and you cannot seem to successfully search for it even if you know where the entrance is... Then you starve to death all because your character is too stupid to be able see a wide open hallway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 05:24:18 pm »

Huh.  Well, it would probably be trivial to disable random generation of secret doors.  But if you know where it is, have you tried kicking the wall?  That works for remotely high strength characters.  So do pickaxes for A's.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 05:29:30 pm »

The sheer number of commands still boggles the mind. It's the only reason I can't get into it, if everything were more neatly presented and easy to remember, then I'd have no problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 128