Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176465 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Nethack
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:03:47 am »

I just started playing nethack this morning, and I love it so far.  A little while ago, as a samurai, a broke a marble wand and killed my dog because I hit "a" (apply) instead of "z" (zap).  With another, I prayed too often and my god got angry.  I roled as a dwarf archeologist, made it pretty far, but then got killed by a giant bat after surviving all manner of things an archeologist shouldn't survive.

So who else has played this game, and what do you think of it?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:27:14 am »

My roomie has been playing it since the 80's, on Telnet clients and old DOS computers. I was only introduced to it within the last 3 years, but the fact that the game is still played regularly after over 3 decades says something about Nethack.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:34:15 am »

I love Netahck, its my favorite RL.
I love monks, farthest I've ever gotten was level 9 with monk, after surviving an orcish throne room. (Deadly crap) Monks get the "warning" ability early on, so I knew when and where the orcs'll come from. I don't remember what killed me though.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:07:10 am »

Heh, I put on a pair of cursed hiking boots.  Now I fall down stairs.

Okay, he died.  Now I'm playing as a monk that got turned into a lich by toxic waste in a sink.  I drank until it became a sink, the kept drinking until a water demon appeared.  I tried running, but it followed me and killed me.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:44:48 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:38:19 am »

I started an elf wizard and got lucky early with a wow in a shop. So had my cat steal it.
Wished for a magic marker and blessed bag of holding.
Recharged the wand again and got another 3 wishes.

Wished for:
blessed fixed +3 silver dragon scale armour.
blessed fixed +5 gauntlets of power.
blessed fixed +5 boots of speed.

Wested the last wish from it and wished for a master key of thievery.
Boo for that 20 damage when picking it up but yay for half physical damage.

Cleared out the mines and converted the altar in minetown to my alignment. Killed the priest.
Sacrificed stuff for a magicbane which I enchanted to +4.
Got candles from shop and luckstone which I blessed from bottom of mines.
Dipped a spare spellbook in water and made a spellbook of identify with my marker.
Have now a reliable way of identifying things.
Got to oracle and solved sokaban. I now have 4 bags of keeping ::)
And am now on my way to that fort level.

I think I have a very high change of getting that darn amulet now.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:29 am »

Nethack is my favorite roguelike... if I'm to choose one game to have when I'm stranded on an island (assuming access to computer and electricity), Nethack would be it.

I have a bunch of characters who made it to Gehennom (they're still alive)... elf wizard being the best one, looking for the vibrating square.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:49 am »

I also enjoy Nethack.

The incredibly number of commands and the awkward interface is a big turn-off though.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:44:51 am »

I managed to find Mjolnir just lying on the ground once, and used it until I bumped into frostbrand. Too bad it became rusty because of a firegiant zapping me with a wand of fire while I stood on ice.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:03 am »

So how do you let your cat steal something? Just wait until she brings it out?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

Feed it food by throwing it at it to make it more likely to pick things up (optional). Go to a store, wait till she picks up x then try to leave (I guess).

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:32:39 am »

Don't we already have a thread about this?

Anyway, I wanna play it but I don't know all the keys. Hell I have no idea how to play! I've never REALLY played a roguelike.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:34:47 am »

Man, Nethack - brings back some memories.  I've won once (Wizard) and came close another time (Ranger, who died to Famine trying to reach the final altar)

Decided to go rooting around my old (old, old) posts back on one of my forums back when they decided to set up a Nethack server.

My post, from April 25, 2003:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't actually played much since then, although I did take part in the dev/null Nethack Turney in 2007, where I didn't win, but I was one of the first to succeed in their optional challenge (grues!) and managed to get pretty far in the dungeon.

I'm much more a fan of Dungeon Crawl, mostly because you can win without reading up on dozens of pages worth of spoilers. There's also the fact that you're much, much less likely to die to something you had no chance to do anything about (You fall in a pit! The pit had spikes! The spikes were poisoned! The poison was deadly... You die.)

For stealing from shops, you're best bet is to move everything you want as close to the door as possible. Then move everything else as far as possible (put a cursed item on top of everything, if possible - your pet will avoid that square). Then it's pretty much just hoping that Kitty will pick up that diamond or wand or scroll and quickly swapping locations with it so that it's outside the shop.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:39 am »

Anyway, I wanna play it but I don't know all the keys. Hell I have no idea how to play! I've never REALLY played a roguelike.
Many keys aren't that important, try the "?" command for keys and stuff. (And the "/" to tell what stuff are and bring up some dictionary thing) The manual is also very helpful.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:01 am »

-Snip-
Double post, delete please

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:16 pm »

Thanks. As tribute to your pie liking, I'd like you to have this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtE6_cjsLo
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 128