Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175173 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1770 on: July 24, 2013, 12:51:20 am »

Is Acehack's multiplayer still being developed? More importantly, is it still a closed alpha?
I'm pretty sure it's open to anyone now, if you telnet in to their server. I've played a couple games, it's a bit painful at times if your friends are slow, but playable.

Also, I've beaten ValDwaFemLaw four times now, any ideas on the character I should try next?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 24, 2013, 04:17:15 am »

Also, I've beaten ValDwaFemLaw four times now, any ideas on the character I should try next?

Samurai and Barbarian are the easier melee classes, if you want more of the same. Wizards have some spellbook management to think about, but they're pretty versatile once they get going. I once beat the game with a Ranger and that was quite fun and interesting, not really a spellcaster, not quite a melee-master either. Try it. Monks have a bit easier early game but in my experience (died to quest boss) they just don't build up in strength like other classes do.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »

Anyone got a tileset they recommend?
I wanna try a tileset, as it did help me on Dwarf Fortress, and I think if I try NetHack with one it'll help me
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 22, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »

That was the closest I'd ever been.
I've never gotten through the mines or to the rogue level, even.
But through some divine fluke, I got about halfway through Gehennom with the bell, until I forgot you couldn't pray there, got my armor generated, and died foraging in Orcus town.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 22, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

I wanna try a tileset, as it did help me on Dwarf Fortress, and I think if I try NetHack with one it'll help me
Nethack comes with a default graphical version (nethackw.exe on Windows). It was pretty good if I recall correctly.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: September 23, 2013, 03:13:20 am »

Nethack comes with a default graphical version (nethackw.exe on Windows). It was pretty good if I recall correctly.

I like that tileset, I appreciate the well endowed incubi :p

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 23, 2013, 07:28:49 am »

I like that tileset, I appreciate the well endowed incubi :p

I... I never really looked at that carefully. So I searched for the image and zoomed in...

He really is! XD

Edit: Succubus is not very impressive...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:30:20 am by kcwong »

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

This thread is !!EVIL!!.  I've not played Nethack in over a decade and had almost forgotten it, but now.... ;)

Welp.  Now I have yet another game to juggle back into my schedule.  Rigothkilrud(aka Craftbronze) will have to wait a few more days...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:02 pm »

Guys! I did it! I finally ascended as something that wasn't a Dwarven Valkyrie!

If you haven't tried it, play a Wizard! Sure, you are super squishy in the early-game, but after you Elbereth a while and find a Magicbane, and maybe a wish from the Mines, you are pretty set. You start with MR, so you just have to find some reflection and you should be good all the way to the castle. If you get the ID spell, the game goes into easy mode, and if you manage to get polymorph on top of that...whoosh. Their quest artifact is amazing, too, making it not a pain to stash things, and also giving you insane power regen. I lucked out and wrote a +oFoD a few floors into Gehemnom, as well, which came in handy. It was a pretty fun game!

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/q/quinnr/dumplog/1386697209.nh343.txt
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »

Wiz was my second or third ascension (first was a valkyrie :P) and definitely the most fun run of the three. Ranger was the third if anyone's wondering.

It's a bit fidgety until you get the quest artifact but once you do, oh boy. So awesome. Congratulations on the ascension. Did you have any close calls in the endgame? I've lost at least one wiz in the plane of air. Summoners that summoned summoners that summoned... Agh... you know the type.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 13, 2013, 03:20:51 pm »

In my experience, the most powerful class would be the knight.

Solid if thoroughly unexciting starting equipment.
Ki-Rin are nice mounts when you don't need to worry about keeping them tamed.
Lances are very powerful, knights make better use of them than anyone else.
Quest level allows one to go broken very easily if we have a white or black unicorn corpse handy (preferably white).
Spellcasting is less varied that that of wizards, but the ability to spam double-strength Magic Missiles  (turn Neutral, wish for the Eye) may put knights ahead.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:37 pm »

Wiz was my second or third ascension (first was a valkyrie :P) and definitely the most fun run of the three. Ranger was the third if anyone's wondering.

It's a bit fidgety until you get the quest artifact but once you do, oh boy. So awesome. Congratulations on the ascension. Did you have any close calls in the endgame? I've lost at least one wiz in the plane of air. Summoners that summoned summoners that summoned... Agh... you know the type.

I had one point where my HP was 50-60 or so, in the plane of Air. I decided not to be stingy with my Death wands right then, since I had about 10 charges (and two recharges) left...so I /oDeath'd that Elemental, remembered I had polymorphed a ring of conflict, and threw that on. Another Air Elemental grabbed me on the way to the portal, so I Finger of Death'd him. Really, once I had the Spellbook of Finger of Death it was all over for them. (Although the Amulet power drain is great, the Eye of Aetheopia has insane regeneration rates).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:46 pm »

Hey, anyone heard of Vulture? It's out here (http://www.darkarts.co.za/vulture/) and is nearly greenlit on steam here (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188943860), and makes nethack isometric and astoundingly playable for the likes of me. Apparently it's getting a large update. I've met my first death at the hands of a hobgoblin, starving and just outside a shop.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 19, 2014, 04:50:17 pm »

Never played Vulture (though it reminds me of something, blurry memory , damn getting old :) ) , but isn't that the clone of Falcon's Eye ?
This one i played it quite a bit, my favorite part was the mouse-driven interface, really well done.

What i liked less, and that i see Vulture does similarly is that isometric view was too low, making the corridors and openings much less clear to see, even with lowered wall option.
I wish it would have been possible to retain the classic (tileset or not) top down view at least in option, while benefiting from the mouse driven interface, would have been the best choice in my opinion
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:54:35 pm by Robsoie »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 19, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »

Never played Vulture (though it reminds me of something, blurry memory , damn getting old :) ) , but isn't that the clone of Falcon's Eye ?
This one i played it quite a bit, my favorite part was the mouse-driven interface, really well done.

What i liked less, and that i see Vulture does similarly is that isometric view was too low, making the corridors and openings much less clear to see, even with lowered wall option.
I wish it would have been possible to retain the classic (tileset or not) top down view at least in option, while benefiting from the mouse driven interface, would have been the best choice in my opinion

Yeah, I've played Falcon's (and then Vulture's) Eye many years ago. For me, beside what Robsoie said, a great disadvantage of the isometric view is that you cannot see the whole level at once, and will have to keep scrolling the map around to see where you should go when you need a strategic retreat.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 128