Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175207 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1755 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »

So, the first thirty pages of this thread inspired me to try this game out.
Hilarity ensued.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1756 on: November 18, 2012, 03:50:20 pm »

First time playing and I already love this game. I found a daimond ring, squee'd, and put it on without identifying it and eventually forgot about the thing within a few turns. I was starving at the time and walked into a room with some oranges lying on the ground. I squee'd again and sprinted towards them. Right as I reached the adjacent square I was suddenly set back a few steps. Huh. I took two more steps forward. Back where I started. I take another step and *poof*, back to the beginning of the dungeon. I kept trying to reach a corpse to nom or the room with the oranges, but kept getting teleported around the level every few steps. Eventually I starved to death while going in and out of consciousness and dying from random spider bites. Only once the game identified my possessions did I find out that my daimond ring was a cursed ring of teleportation. Cue the hysterical laughter of my older brother, who has never played the game either and was watching fixedly over my shoulder the whole way. We had a great time.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 18, 2012, 04:00:30 pm »

General tips:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2012, 04:14:02 pm »

Not reading that spoiler.
Okay, I've just started a new game as a Priest. There's two rooms connected by a door, and a fountain. There was one Lichen, which I killed. There is no way out. I already double checked all the walls. Now what? O.o

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1759 on: November 18, 2012, 04:17:27 pm »

Okay, I've just started a new game as a Priest. There's two rooms connected by a door, and a fountain. There was one Lichen, which I killed. There is no way out. I already double checked all the walls. Now what? O.o
Search the walls some more. You say you 'double checked' the walls but a single or even several searches on each wall isn't a guarantee that there are no secret doors. Alternatively, you just started the game so reroll.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 18, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

Just to be sure, just press 'n, 20, s' and every wall within a adjacent (cardinal and diagonal) to you will be searched.

You will consume a lot of hunger points though.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1761 on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »

Search the walls some more. You say you 'double checked' the walls but a single or even several searches on each wall isn't a guarantee that there are no secret doors. Alternatively, you just started the game so reroll.
How specifically? Perhaps there's a command I'm overlooking. Gotcha. Found it. Now I'm blind however, from a failed spell. Whoops. :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:27:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 18, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

First time playing Nethack, I ate a nymph corpse without thinking. Boy, that was a fun 40+ turns until I gave in and looked at the wiki.

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:10 pm »

First time playing Nethack, I ate a nymph corpse without thinking. Boy, that was a fun 40+ turns until I gave in and looked at the wiki.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:52 pm »

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »

The search command (s) has a 14% chance of finding a secret door each turn (assuming 0 luck). That means that you can spend hundreds of turns searching the walls of every single square in the level, and still not find that secret door that takes you to the next level. That said, if you don't use search you probably won't ever find most secret doors.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:23 am »

Been playing this again. Third character in, I get three magical lamps (one of each blessing level) and a bag of holding before Soko, and a reflection amulet as the Sokoban reward. The ascension was probably one of the easiest I've ever had. (Out of a total of four wins now! Woot!)

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/q/quinnr/dumplog/1374547960.nh343.txt

Also, I've been teaching my 12 year old cousin to play Nethack. That has been an interesting experience so far, I'm surprised she actually likes it a lot :S
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »

Been playing this again. Third character in, I get three magical lamps (one of each blessing level) and a bag of holding before Soko, and a reflection amulet as the Sokoban reward. The ascension was probably one of the easiest I've ever had. (Out of a total of four wins now! Woot!)

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/q/quinnr/dumplog/1374547960.nh343.txt

Also, I've been teaching my 12 year old cousin to play Nethack. That has been an interesting experience so far, I'm surprised she actually likes it a lot :S
You're a good uncle/aunt/eldritch monstrosity to them.
Ain't nuthin' like getting Frost Brand on floor 3. Of course, I died some 11 floors later to a goddamn gnome with a wand.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 24, 2013, 12:22:06 am »

Ain't nuthin' like getting Frost Brand on floor 3. Of course, I died some 11 floors later to a goddamn gnome with a wand.

Actually that's not a good thing, due to Fire/Frostbrand's tendencies to destroy fragile items carried by monsters. Having them generated as random loot also reduces your chance to wish for artifacts you actually want.

Real3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 24, 2013, 12:39:39 am »

Is Acehack's multiplayer still being developed? More importantly, is it still a closed alpha?
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 128