Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175234 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1710 on: December 17, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »

Get down to low HP beforehand from something besides kicking. Then kick so you lose the last bits of your HP.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: December 17, 2011, 09:06:30 pm »

Oh MYYY. Any way I can use the actual TILEset while playing on Telnet with PuttyTel? I find it VERY difficult to look at the Ascii with its horribly bright green highlighting and uneven width-to-length sizes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: December 17, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

No, you can't.

Also, press O to access the options menu, and press j to enable DECGraphics, which are much easier to read.
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 17, 2011, 09:34:43 pm »

Oh MYYY. Any way I can use the actual TILEset while playing on Telnet with PuttyTel? I find it VERY difficult to look at the Ascii with its horribly bright green highlighting and uneven width-to-length sizes.
There is an option in the options screen to have tiledata sent, but no programs I know of that use it.

You could use Hearse to download Bones files to use locally, however.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 17, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »

No, you can't.

Also, press O to access the options menu, and press j to enable DECGraphics, which are much easier to read.
Did that, and the graphics didn't seem to change...
Am I doing something wrong, here?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:57 pm »

I hate this game. I loathe it. It should be banished to the furthest, most dark alleyway of the most despicable hard drive in existence.

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/quinnr/dumplog/1324235748.nh343.txt

My best game so far, I was bashing through the Valley of the Dead, minotaurs, nemesis, liches, you name it, it was dead. Swapped out ring of Levitate (super useful!) for telecontrol (level teleport with Orb of Fate). Of course shortly after doing this, I learn that I don't have poison resist. By falling into a pit and insta-dying.
BLAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH! RAGE! HATE! DESPAIR! 
--------------
No, you can't.

Possibly already on, possibly not supported by your terminal.

Now, back to my RAGEing.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 19, 2011, 06:28:43 pm »

I hate this game. I loathe it. It should be banished to the furthest, most dark alleyway of the most despicable hard drive in existence.

My best game so far, I was bashing through the Valley of the Dead, minotaurs, nemesis, liches, you name it, it was dead. Swapped out ring of Levitate (super useful!) for telecontrol (level teleport with Orb of Fate). Of course shortly after doing this, I learn that I don't have poison resist. By falling into a pit and insta-dying.
--------------
No, you can't.

Now, back to my RAGEing.

You went that far down without poison resist and you're mad at the game for killing you?
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 19, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »

--------------
No, you can't.

Now, back to my RAGEing.

You went that far down without poison resist and you're mad at the game for killing you?
I was pretty sure I had it, but apparently not. It's just annoying that you can die from moving one step, even with full HP and unihorns and all that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 19, 2011, 06:47:40 pm »

Don't play Angband then.  If you don't have resistance breath weapons will instakill you.  They had to change the AI so monsters with breath weapons can't use them until the turn after you see them to prevent instant, unavoidable death.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »

Man that sucks. I find it hard to believe you made it that far without poison resist. That's why I try to stock up on every resist I can before I even hit the castle.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:19 am »

I have found something out. Elbereth is your best friend in the early game, especially when cornered. How good is it in the later game?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:22 am »

I have found something out. Elbereth is your best friend in the early game, especially when cornered. How good is it in the later game?

Still good of course. There will be some monsters than do not respect E-word, but you can still use it for a divide and conquer tactics.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:37 am »

Still good of course. There will be some monsters than do not respect E-word, but you can still use it for a divide and conquer tactics.

All the Demon Princes respect the big E. This is an especially useful fact since one in particular can practically one-shot you regardless of stats.

Just remember that humans, elves, and minotaurs don't respect it, and you'll be fine.

EDIT: And Angels as well. Can't forget them, since Archons rival the endgame bosses in toughness.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:09:24 am by JoshuaFH »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 23, 2012, 11:10:21 am »

All the Demon Princes respect the big E. This is an especially useful fact since one in particular can practically one-shot you regardless of stats.

Just remember that humans, elves, and minotaurs don't respect it, and you'll be fine.

Assuming that & you're talking about is what I think it is...
Spoiler: Vague spoilers (click to show/hide)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:32 am »

Assuming that & you're talking about is what I think it is...
Spoiler: Vague spoilers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 128