Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175274 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1695 on: December 17, 2011, 04:58:02 am »

What?

...oh. Well, I guess it's time to fix that one. What exactly causes this text error thing?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: December 17, 2011, 05:03:33 am »

What?

...oh. Well, I guess it's time to fix that one. What exactly causes this text error thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously, fix that.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 17, 2011, 05:04:38 am »

What exactly causes this text error thing?

I believe it's large lines of text with no spaces. The forum tries to put them in, but it can't go down a line, so it just keeps on going to the right instead of going downwards.

Adding a simple space somewhere inside would solve the problem.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: December 17, 2011, 06:54:36 am »

More seriously, what. What. What. Seriously, how can anyone possibly die from kicking a fricking wall?
Well there's someone who died from kicking a CAN.

I've started playing ADOM again. Once this character (inevitably) dies horribly I should give this meatgrinder another run.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 17, 2011, 06:56:23 am »

And I've died by flipping a coin, landing on my bare head and caving my skull in.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: December 17, 2011, 06:59:57 am »

More seriously, what. What. What. Seriously, how can anyone possibly die from kicking a fricking wall?

You ever tried kicking (or hitting) a wall? It hurts. Do it hard enough and it hurts in an health point draining way. Now translate that into a world that actually functions through HP (ie. NetHack). Sure you never lose that many HP if you kick a wall, but if you're down to your last HP, I don't recommend you kicking any walls. HP-based gaming is cool like that.

You still get bones. Just your own bones.

I delete my own bones in local games. Haven't played in a while, but when I do I'm good enough to usually amass quite a bit of wealth and awesome items before my demise. Free bag of holding and ton of scrolls/wands/potions before the castle would diminish from my eventual ascension with the character in question (even if the said bunch of items is mostly cursed when picked up).

And now for something completely different:
Spoiler: My greatest failure (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 17, 2011, 07:12:47 am »

You ever tried kicking (or hitting) a wall? It hurts. Do it hard enough and it hurts in an health point draining way. Now translate that into a world that actually functions through HP (ie. NetHack). Sure you never lose that many HP if you kick a wall, but if you're down to your last HP, I don't recommend you kicking any walls. HP-based gaming is cool like that.
What I'm really asking is how can people have the stupidity or lack of attention to kill themselves via wall, not how. I mean, really, can you guys think of any reason why someone would kill themselves by kicking a wall?

Also, a can? Seriously?

Are Nethack characters made of glass? Oh, wait...

What the hell happened there? Mind you, it's been a while since I've played any Nethack.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 17, 2011, 07:30:03 am »

He's stuck in the Plane of Air, trapped by multitudes of nasties spawned by Archons. Did all of your wands of teleport run out?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 17, 2011, 07:34:37 am »

What the hell happened there? Mind you, it's been a while since I've played any Nethack.

I might remember to monsters names wrong but anyways.
Archons and angels were after my chaotic protagonist the moment I entered the plane of air. Archons summon more archons and other critters. Some critters can summon more critters, while the archons summoned more archons who summoned more archons who summoned more archons who summoned more archons...

Pretty soon I was swarmed by the lot. I could kill them in some capacity, but their numbers were a bit too much for my wizard to handle. Not knowing where the exit was didn't make it any easier to get out of there alive. Also ran out of escape items.

The fleeting moment of emptiness you feel when a character that good dies. My first and only character to die post-amulet.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 17, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »

What I'm really asking is how can people have the stupidity or lack of attention to kill themselves via wall, not how. I mean, really, can you guys think of any reason why someone would kill themselves by kicking a wall?

Also, a can? Seriously?

Are Nethack characters made of glass? Oh, wait...

They may not be stupid, maybe they were just fooling around, or acting suicidal. It is an online server with tons of players over the years, after all.
And kicking objects against a wall hurts bad..or loadstones. Ouch!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 17, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »

There is a challenge in the yearly Nethack tournament to get the most unique deaths during the tournament run.

Plus there's the guy who abused Nethack's RNG to generate a wand of wishing on D:1 and killed himself by kicking that wand over and over to prove a point. That must of been a fun death announcement for Rodney in the IRC room.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 17, 2011, 03:20:16 pm »

There is a challenge in the yearly Nethack tournament to get the most unique deaths during the tournament run.

Plus there's the guy who abused Nethack's RNG to generate a wand of wishing on D:1 and killed himself by kicking that wand over and over to prove a point. That must of been a fun death announcement for Rodney in the IRC room.
...How exactly did he manage that?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 17, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »

The RNG used to generate a seed based on the computer's time.  He abused it to find a time where there was a wand of wishing in the first room.
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 17, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

The RNG used to generate a seed based on the computer's time.  He abused it to find a time where there was a wand of wishing in the first room.
Oh yeah, I remember reading about that somewhere once now. Pretty interesting.
Huzzah for open-source and player-created patches!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 17, 2011, 06:20:37 pm »

...how exactly do you die from kicking? The last time I kicked anything and damaged myself, I healed up entirely before it let me kick again.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 128