Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175295 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1665 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:29 am »

Whaa?

You might as well farm puddings to lessen the blow of the loss. :P
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 10, 2011, 07:27:25 am »

I was on it. It was THE GAME I was going to ascend on. I cleared out a whole room of Trolls and Dragons with my sword, I had been crowned and owned Fire Brand, the valkyrie hammer art, and Excalibur. I had almost every resist I needed...and a nice reverse geno scroll to use once I beat Medusa.

I dig down past Medusa's level, and fall down into a dead end of a maze. Ugh. Let me light thi--OH GOD ARCH-LICH CASTING TOUCH OF DEA--DYWYPI?

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/quinnr/dumplog/1323436548.nh343.txt

What are you doing that far down without Magic Resistance, reflection, and not poly'd into a vampire lord? I'm sorry, but you were kind of asking for that loss.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:48 am »

While, that was the one aspect in which I was unlucky up to that point. I was hoping that I could get some reflection from Perseus, but alas, I didn't even get to him.

How are you supposed to reliably get MR before that point, anyways? I hardly ever find the nice cloaks, let alone the one out of them that is MR.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 10, 2011, 10:35:06 am »

I guess it was just a bad luck of the draw then.

Valkyries don't get anything intrinsically or through the quest the guarantees MR. Did you atleast find a single source of wishing though? I always made it a point to get Magicbane first, if only for the intrinsic MR and curse protection that will be useful later on.

It's why I think Wizards are the easiest class, because they start the game with a cloak of MR, and get magicbane easily so they can switch to a more AC protective cloak later. That, and a whole ton of other benefits later on.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:15 am »

I guess it was just a bad luck of the draw then.

Valkyries don't get anything intrinsically or through the quest the guarantees MR. Did you atleast find a single source of wishing though? I always made it a point to get Magicbane first, if only for the intrinsic MR and curse protection that will be useful later on.

It's why I think Wizards are the easiest class, because they start the game with a cloak of MR, and get magicbane easily so they can switch to a more AC protective cloak later. That, and a whole ton of other benefits later on.
Unfortunately not, Izchaks didn't even have a lamp, and none of my smoky potion drinking or fountain drinking had any effects. Oh well, better luck next time.

It's surprising how much more do-able ascension seems now than when I last played a while back, though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »

Is there any way I can make my HP more obvious? I find myself dying often due to the fact that I don't notice it's almost gone.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 16, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

I only run the game in Ascii, I'm not sure if the HP meter can be altered with tile packs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 16, 2011, 07:35:01 pm »

If you play on Telnet the health indicator is colored.  White for full health, and then the usual green yellow red as it goes down.
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:04 pm »

If you play on Telnet the health indicator is colored.  White for full health, and then the usual green yellow red as it goes down.
Never heard of Telnet. Did some research. Tried to figure it out.

... Failed.

Can you explain how I connect to it and what program I should use?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »

Puttytel is the easiest way.

Download it, open it, put nethack.alt.org as the server and connect.

If you want to run a less sophisticated client and you're not using Windows 7, you can go to Run and type telnet nethack.alt.org
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

Link to patch used for that effect on the TTY servers, so you can install it locally: http://bilious.alt.org/?45

Telnet is a terminal program used to connect to servers online. It is not enabled by default on windows past Windows XP. You could download a different telnet client, such as PuTTY, however. You can also play it online with a couple of the browser-based applets at the top of this page as well: http://nethack.alt.org

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: December 16, 2011, 08:25:54 pm »

I never personally preferred Telnet though, as the tile scheme is slightly different, and the controls work differently and they can't be changed.

It does allow for easier tracking of your accomplishments though, as your stats get uploaded to a database.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »

I never personally preferred Telnet though, as the tile scheme is slightly different, and the controls work differently and they can't be changed.

It does allow for easier tracking of your accomplishments though, as your stats get uploaded to a database.
A database that can be searched with an awesome chatbot: http://alt.org/nethack/Rodney/lg.txt
And I believe you can modify specific glyphs in the game with the .nethackrc file, but I don't remember exactly how. I can look it up later though.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »

I get a little lag while on telnet so I prefer to play locally. It's only a second or so but it's enough for me to be bothered by it. Of course this means that I miss out on the bones levels, but I don't really mind that loss.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: December 16, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »

You still get bones. Just your own bones.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 128