Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175330 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1620 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:21 am »

Winter Wolves are very scary.
Killed me multiple times on decent characters, even Elbereth won't save you from the scary Ice Lasers they shoot.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1621 on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:38 am »

does reflection protect from the wolf's ice beam?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:53 am »

Yes, all beams, breaths, and stone gazes are reflected through merely having reflection.

The Archon's stunning gaze through, can't be reflected. You need to be blindfolded, or have the Monk's quest item, the glasses of Ican'trememberthename.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: September 05, 2011, 11:33:58 am »

The Eyes of the Overworld.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1624 on: September 05, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »

Yes, all beams, breaths, and stone gazes are reflected through merely having reflection.

The Archon's stunning gaze through, can't be reflected. You need to be blindfolded, or have the Monk's quest item, the glasses of Ican'trememberthename.
what about the floating eye's gaze?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:18 pm »

I actually had to look this one up: Yes, reflection will protect you from the Floating Eye's paralyzing gaze. Also, you can wear a ring of free action to make yourself immune, wear a blindfold, make it invisible, or just flatout ignore them since it's a passive attack that will only trigger upon being melee'd.

You can also apply a mirror to paralyze them right back, although they can still paralyze you if you attack them. Apparently you can also cancel them with the wand or spell of cancellation.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:51:07 pm by JoshuaFH »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:14 am »

Or hit them with a cream pie.  Since they don't have any hands, they can't wipe their face.  I love this game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: September 06, 2011, 12:17:40 am »

Or hit them with a cream pie.  Since they don't have any hands, they can't wipe their face.  I love this game.
This statement is a lot more dirty than you might think.  8)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: September 06, 2011, 12:19:06 am »

Good god Umiman you are a horrible person.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: September 06, 2011, 12:59:55 am »

This statement is a lot more dirty than you might think.  8)
You don't know my mind.  ;D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 06, 2011, 02:18:57 am »

It's a dangerous move... not that the cream pie might transmit some horrible disease, but that the cream pie may slide off its face any time, and you spend a hundred turns staring at it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:17:26 am by kcwong »

Bamalam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:26 am »

Hey

Been a lurker on these forums for quite a while and recently found a newsgroup post i made back in 2001 when i beat Nethack for the first time so i just had to register so i could post it  :D

Right at the end of the game I make one of the dumbest decisions i have ever made in a game.

I have beaten it once more since with a Wizard, haven't played for quite a while though and so i have forgotten quite a bit.

My victory post contains some spoilers.

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/browse_thread/thread/6b54cae6e84e8f45/64e2ebc3f6fe9a51?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=nethack+mark+shipton#64e2ebc3f6fe9a51

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: September 30, 2011, 03:07:05 am »

Bump!

My current game is kinda stuck. She's an elf wizard, currently level 13, cleared Sokoban and Mine's End, found home portal and reached Medusa level.

I have these resources:
- Magicbane
- A small stack of unenchanted elven daggers
- One blessed magic lamp
- One magic marker I started with, charges left unknown
- Orange dragon scale (not mail)
- Completely rotted cloak of magic resistance, leather gloves and completely rusted helm
- Blessed -1 Boots of Speed (generated cursed)
- Blessed bag of holding from Sokoban
- Blessed unihorn
- Blessed luckstone
- Force bolt is the only attack spell
- Light and Confuse Monster, and other useful spells that I can't cast (e.g. Polymorph, Levitation)
- One blessed scroll of genocide, one blessed identify and one enchant weapon
- Lots of holy water as I found a huge potion store with lots of useless potions (blindness, confuse, etc.)
- Have a bunch of sleep, digging, striking wands. Create monster at 0 charge, has one cancellation and two wands that dust. No wand of cold.
- Have a bunch of useless rings. Some beneficial ones are at negative enchantment. Useful ones are polymorph, regeneration and see invisible.

Because of one water accident earlier I blanked a number of scrolls and spellbooks. Now I found I have these problems:
- No way to cross water (Earth scrolls blanked).
- AC way too high to try to dig down from Medusa level... meet minotaur and I'm dead.
- Enchant armor must be among the scrolls I blanked.
- Not really in shape to do quest even after I get that last level-up.

I'm thinking about doing all these:
- Verifying max luck at an altar, then use magic lamp to get silver dragon scale mail.
- Genocide L.
- Use my last id scroll on marker and hope for an id all.
- Write recharge and enchant armor scrolls.
- Get AC down as much as possible, then dig down at Medusa level.

But if I am unable to get a wish or write the scrolls I wanted, then I don't know what to do next.

What would you do in this situation?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 01, 2011, 09:01:08 am »

Found a nice site promoting Nethack, it was made by a pretty good web developer, and would probably be nice to use to introduce friends to Nethack..

http://thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 01, 2011, 10:03:47 am »

Love Nethack, but the clunky system started bothering me so much that I decided to start playing Slash'em.
So far, it's working pretty well. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't like the clunky Nethack commands.

Plus it has added stuff. That's always a win in my book.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 128