Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175365 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1560 on: August 27, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »

In other news, a high-level ranger fell down stairs and died recently. Damned naga hatchlings chasing me off...
My pets keep attacking non-hostile gnomes, dwarves, and hobbits, but they won't attack the leprechauns prancing around and stealing my gold. Useless.
I managed to trap a leprechaun in a room. We danced around and I shot some arrows at it. At one point, it just disappeared. I blocked the doorway, but it must have teleported, not been invisible.
I really hate leprechauns. They'd better be glad Nethack doesn't have a combat system like DF's.

Leprechauns teleports after they steal gold. If you have no gold to steal, they can't teleport. You can either:
1) Go upstairs/downstairs and drop all your gold there. Kill the leprechaun and return for them.
2) Put all your gold inside a container, be it your bag or a chest.
3) E-word. Then let your pet handle it, or shoot it. If you write in dust, write a lot of E-words in a row, so some would remain in effect when some errodes.
4) Put down all your gold, and put E-word on the square. Then go after the damn thing.

Pets engage things according to their current HP against the monster's level. Gnomes are difficulty class 3, leprechauns are 4, so your pet should attack leprechauns as well. Likely the leprechaun keeps teleporting around so your pet can't reach it (being next square to it doesn't mean your pet has a chance to move yet, leprechaun has speed comparable to pets).

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 29, 2011, 06:51:14 pm »

I don't understand wizard mode. It seems like it would take the fun out of the game
You can remove it by removing the -D -u wizard from the target text box in your NetHack shortcut's Properties tag when you right-click it.

But wiz-mode makes the game a WHOLE lot easier. I myself never get past the Oracle level, instead heading straight for Mine-Town and getting accustomed to staying there my whole game, right up until some random ape kills me.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:23 pm »

I don't understand wizard mode. It seems like it would take the fun out of the game
You can remove it by removing the -D -u wizard from the target text box in your NetHack shortcut's Properties tag when you right-click it.

But wiz-mode makes the game a WHOLE lot easier. I myself never get past the Oracle level, instead heading straight for Mine-Town and getting accustomed to staying there my whole game, right up until some random ape kills me.

It makes you immortal, and lets you summon any item in the whole game. Of course it's easier.

eXplore mode is similar, minus the super powers.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:47 am »

Sounds like it would make the game fun in a different way.  I might check it out sometime.

In recent news, I started a game as a chaotic priest and was killed by hill orcs, or something.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:46 am »

Orcs are bastards, in that they swarm in early on, and they're likely to have poisoned weapons.

I still remember the one time the monster generator went ballistic and spawned things faster than they could be killed, and I was stuck on a single space with some several hundred iterations of Elbereth as the entire floor was filled with monsters. I had to dig my way through a wall, leaving coins on Elbereths (to keep them active, and prevent monsters from following me) and dig a tunnel all the way around the floor back to the up-stairs. I got a scare when some elves, that don't respect Elbereth, followed me in, but I was able to kill them, atleast.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:59 pm »

The RNG can weave some incredible stories...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:04 am »

Curse you guys.  I've spent all night playing Nethack now.  Haven't played in a long time, and now on my sixth game after a many-year hiatus my human knight is up to clvl 12 or so, and just passed the Big Room.

I've seen exactly ONE scroll of identify the whole game.  Still, this is probably the farthest I've gone in a very long time.  I think my record is only made it to Medusa in one game before, and I've never finished the quest.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:14 am »

I've seen exactly ONE scroll of identify the whole game.

Mmm, bad luck there.  The Real Nethack Wiki has a spoiler page on using shops to partially ID stuff.  Also see The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler, Shopping Spoiler (mirror), and a calculator to automate the task.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 31, 2011, 11:49:48 am »

Sounds like it would make the game fun in a different way.  I might check it out sometime.

In recent news, I started a game as a chaotic priest and was killed by hill orcs, or something.

I agree. Wizard mode is fun in a different way.  Sometimes it's fun to just screw around and mess with the game.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:46 pm »

I've seen exactly ONE scroll of identify the whole game.

Mmm, bad luck there.  The Real Nethack Wiki has a spoiler page on using shops to partially ID stuff.  Also see The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler, Shopping Spoiler (mirror), and a calculator to automate the task.
Use Clippy all the time. It makes your life WAY easier.
And any really cheap scrolls in shops are ID. That helped out a lot once I learned it, as well.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

No ? of ID in any shops or loot yet, and I have been using shop price IDs plus the standard creative ways to identify rings and wands.  My one scroll, I got from a bones pile, cursed.  Blessed it in a desperate attempt to find some useful rings among my uncursed non-duplicates.  It didn't go well.  Waste of holy water.

At least I'm resistant to poison, sleep, disintegration, and shock, and have MC3.  That's nice.  Knights are a great newbie role: Excalibur, plus enough armor to easily get better stuff in the mines (as long as your horse decides to be a champ).

Hey, if you win a full ID from a blessed ?ofID, does it also do stuff in (nested) bags?  Maybe I should check the source code...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:20 pm »

Judging by when I sat on a Throne for a full ID once, I don't think that it works on things in bags, although I may be remembering incorrectly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 31, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »

I wouldn't rely on thrones. If memory serves, I got a full ID from a throne exactly once out of the maybe hundred or so times I've done it.

And boy was that the happiest day ever.

If you're capable, both material and stat-wise, wishing for a blessed spellbook of identification is the best way of going about your ID'ing needs. Writing and blessing your own scrolls of ID is the next best thing, which can be most easily attained from a blessed magic marker, which is another incredibly useful wish.

The best thing about scrolls is that, statistically, they're the safest things to identify through using them. Just making sure that they're blessed beforehand will negate the effects of the most harmful ones, like punishment (does nothing), and amnesia effects are reduced. Everything else is fairly safe, and I've literally never read an amnesia scroll by accident, they are outstandingly rare.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »

I wouldn't rely on thrones. If memory serves, I got a full ID from a throne exactly once out of the maybe hundred or so times I've done it.

And boy was that the happiest day ever.

I've gotten it 1/1 times I've sat on a throne. It's obviously a 100% chance :P

I was only saying that because that's the ONLY time I've gotten a full ID. It was pretty cool to watch all that text go by.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:15 pm »

If my kitten eats a floating eye corpse... and I eat the kitten... will I get the powers it stole from me?
Kitten keeps eatin all mah corpses.

In other news, I'm about to go on a revival rampage; I'm a healer with stone to flesh, and... in Delphi? Whatever the Oracle's place is actually called.
If you can overcome the whole scalpel thing, a healer is a pretty good class.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 128