Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175376 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1545 on: August 25, 2011, 07:16:53 pm »

Played for my first time yesterday, sure it's OK but it's just dungeons and-

A Nymph just jumped me at the Oracle. She's stolen everything but my amulet and my sword. I chase after her, the amulet's power letting me see where she is through the walls.
BAM! She used my wand, the bitch. I jump down the hole she just made, scrambling after her. I weave through the corridors, avoiding monsters, she teleports. I find her soon after but- BAM! She uses it again, I jump out of the way of an orc's thrown knife to jump down the new hole.
I have her cornered now, I hack at her, praying that she doesn't teleport, until she dies and take back what was stolen. I drink from a nearby fountain, hoping for the best. I disturb a water demon. I die, bloody nymphs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:19:00 pm by NobodyPro »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:43 pm »

Use Wiz-Mode. Wish for an uncursed wand of death (0:99) before that damn nymph gets away and shoot the bloody thing.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »

Had a promising archaeologist going, level 9 with seven points of protection.  ...snip... when I descend a staircase to a troll with a wand of create monster.

A troll is difficulty 9... unless special rules apply (e.g. you have the amulet of yendor), a monster is strong enough for generation when average of your level and dungeon level >= monster difficulty.

You could be a victim of a polymorph trap...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:20 am »

Use Wiz-Mode. Wish for an uncursed wand of death (0:99) before that damn nymph gets away and shoot the bloody thing.

What's the point of even playing, then?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 26, 2011, 10:36:34 am »

Eh but does anybody know how to turn off pets?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:08 am »

Eh but does anybody know how to turn off pets?

You don't, unless you want to edit the source code.

Just leave them on the first floor.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:45 am »

What's the point of even playing, then?
I do use wiz-mode wishes, and even then only when I deem the items I wish for needed and/or appropriate for my situation.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 26, 2011, 04:50:57 pm »

Spoiler: Damn! (click to show/hide)
I died in two turns, as a level 4 wizard.
Tried running from the fountain-spawned demon, ran into that committee. I'm sure the end wasn't pleasant. I don't know if my cat lived to see it.

I don't understand wizard mode. It seems like it would take the fun out of the game. It is, after all, supposed to have its elements of danger and frequent untrained death.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 26, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »

Wizard mode is more like debug mode made available to the players. It wasn't intended to be a game feature.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 26, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »

Yes, but it sounds like people actually play it, finding that experience fun. Maybe not.

I love Nethack's semi-forced learning style. You have to experiment with things to see what works. It doesn't work? Oh, you die. Therefore, the better you learn, the longer you live. It's especially fun with a wizard.
The risk vs. reward is also implemented very well. For example, if you're starving, you could eat that lizard corpse. The corpse could poison you, though; there might be food in just the next room.
I'm also rather partial to dungeons. :)

EDIT: And does anyone know a way to change the game colors? Blue on black is really hard to see on my monitor.

I just got killed by a mind flayer. He liberally applied his wand of magic missile; several dozen magic missiles bounced off of me. He then proceeded to just use his tentacles and suck my brain away. That was a lot more effective.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:24:24 pm by Lectorog »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:51 pm »

Yes, but it sounds like people actually play it, finding that experience fun. Maybe not.

I love Nethack's semi-forced learning style. You have to experiment with things to see what works. It doesn't work? Oh, you die. Therefore, the better you learn, the longer you live. It's especially fun with a wizard.
The risk vs. reward is also implemented very well. For example, if you're starving, you could eat that lizard corpse. The corpse could poison you, though; there might be food in just the next room.
I'm also rather partial to dungeons. :)

EDIT: And does anyone know a way to change the game colors? Blue on black is really hard to see on my monitor.

I just got killed by a mind flayer. He liberally applied his wand of magic missile; several dozen magic missiles bounced off of me. He then proceeded to just use his tentacles and suck my brain away. That was a lot more effective.

I have Linux, but try a google for 'change terminal colors <system>' should help.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1556 on: August 26, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »

I used wizard mode a lot when I was first starting out to explore and learn the game. Now I don't.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 26, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »

I love Nethack's semi-forced learning style. You have to experiment with things to see what works. It doesn't work? Oh, you die. Therefore, the better you learn, the longer you live.
This.  I didn't even start playing successfully until I stopped using explore mode.  Losing a game due to a bad move really drives in the lesson.  (Hopefully the right lesson.)

Under XP, for console-mode Nethack, I can change individual colors by clicking on the top-right top-left (so sorry) icon in the window's title bar.  It's a bit counter-intuitive.

I click on Properties, the Colors tab, click on the second color box, which is dark blue, then set the RGB fields to R=0, G=64, B=192.  I press OK and tell it to apply to future windows.  Then I have to go back in and click the black box and OK, apply to future windows again to keep the background looking right.  Then tell Nethack to redraw the screen by pressing Ctrl-R.

Edit: actually, the first time, apply it to current window only.  If you like it, do it for all future windows.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:41:29 pm by 0x517A5D »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:21 pm »

Awesome! It works - top left icon for Windows 7. Thanks!

In other news, a high-level ranger fell down stairs and died recently. Damned naga hatchlings chasing me off...
My pets keep attacking non-hostile gnomes, dwarves, and hobbits, but they won't attack the leprechauns prancing around and stealing my gold. Useless.
I managed to trap a leprechaun in a room. We danced around and I shot some arrows at it. At one point, it just disappeared. I blocked the doorway, but it must have teleported, not been invisible.
I really hate leprechauns. They'd better be glad Nethack doesn't have a combat system like DF's.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 26, 2011, 11:36:51 pm »

Played for my first time yesterday, sure it's OK but it's just dungeons and-

A Nymph just jumped me at the Oracle. She's stolen everything but my amulet and my sword. I chase after her, the amulet's power letting me see where she is through the walls.
BAM! She used my wand, the bitch. I jump down the hole she just made, scrambling after her. I weave through the corridors, avoiding monsters, she teleports. I find her soon after but- BAM! She uses it again, I jump out of the way of an orc's thrown knife to jump down the new hole.
I have her cornered now, I hack at her, praying that she doesn't teleport, until she dies and take back what was stolen. I drink from a nearby fountain, hoping for the best. I disturb a water demon. I die, bloody nymphs.
You got to the oracle at the first time?  :o

Recently I got atom smashed just after reading a scroll of stinking cloud to kill Lord Surtur
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 128