Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175385 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1515 on: August 21, 2011, 10:25:10 am »

Such a thing exists?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:43 am »

Falcon's Eye yeah.
I'll see if I can locate it.

Forgot that had died.
But Vulture took over.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:30:59 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 21, 2011, 10:58:45 am »

I scoff at your 'graphics'. I've tried playing with multiple graphics things for Nethack...all of them just distract me, and make it more difficult to tell what's what...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 21, 2011, 11:14:40 am »

Falcon's Eye (never tried Vulture but i guess it should be the same) had a fantastic mouse driven interface, even better than the one from the tile version of Crawl from what i remember at the time i was playing it.

Now what has greatly annoyed me in Falcon was the isometric choice for the visual, with the angle selected it's plain annoying to play after a while, lots of corridor entrance are sometime "hidden" by walls (even when you set walls to half size) due to the very bad angle of view choosen.
I ceased to play just because of that view, it was not a good design , making navigating in the dungeons a pain more than fun.

If only there had been a version of Falcon's Eye with the same interface, but top view tiles instead of isometric tiles, i'm sure i would have continued to play it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 21, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »

I love this game. I played it for 5 hours straight yesterday; it's rather addictive.
Farthest I've gotten was a level 7 knight. I rode around the dungeon on my pony, lancing enemies, feeding my horse with their corpses as I ate my apples, but then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My favorite class is the wizard, but I have trouble finding good spells and usually die.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: August 21, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »

I love this game. I played it for 5 hours straight yesterday; it's rather addictive.
Farthest I've gotten was a level 7 knight. I rode around the dungeon on my pony, lancing enemies, feeding my horse with their corpses as I ate my apples, but then
My favorite class is the wizard, but I have trouble finding good spells and usually die.

...ponies are herbivores. That's what your apples are for ;)

And the big room scares me.. I always get surrounded..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »

...ponies are herbivores. That's what your apples are for ;)

And the big room scares me.. I always get surrounded..
Hm. I'd swear my pony ate a few corpses of some sort. Maybe lichen?

And a question: Why do pets rearrange store items, and how can you stop this?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »

You don't, other than leaving them outside and closing the door.

But if they drop it on the first square you touch when you enter the store, it counts as not-store owned, and you can take it free of charge. Storekeepers don't care if pets steal things.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »

Hm. I'd swear my pony ate a few corpses of some sort. Maybe lichen?

Yup. When ponies are near starvation they will eat food rations as well. But note that this is not a good way to keep a pony alive, as when near starving their HP will be halved, and have to heal it back normally. Apples, carrots and lichens will keep a horse well-fed much longer than if you eat them.

And a question: Why do pets rearrange store items, and how can you stop this?

BTW, if you want to keep your pets from messing with your stash, you can put a cursed item on the same square. Pets don't like cursed items and will be reluctant to step on one unless it is the only path available, or when there's food to eat.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 21, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »

You don't, other than leaving them outside and closing the door.

But if they drop it on the first square you touch when you enter the store, it counts as not-store owned, and you can take it free of charge. Storekeepers don't care if pets steal things.

• Hi, Asidonhopo!  Nice looking shop.
  • Hey, do you mind if I tidy up?  I'll just pile all of your stuff in the far corner.  Except this tripe ration, I'll buy it, please.
  • I'd like to exchange this Big Sack O' Gold™ for store credit, please.  I'll just leave it here on the second square.
  • This is my dog, Phideaux.  Isn't he kyooot?  And, look, his leash has his name embroidered on it.
  • I'll just stand here in the doorway… and wait… wait… wait….
  • Gotta go!  Terrible hurry!  Left the stove on!
  • Good dog!  Here's a nummy treat.  Who's a good boy then?  That's right, you!
  • Hi, Asidonhopo!  Remember me?  Lots of store credit!  I'd like to buy… everything!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 21, 2011, 11:32:02 pm »

If you die in a store, the game clearly tells you that the shopkeeper takes all your possessions. So no need to feel guilty or anything using your pets to steal. :D

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:01 am »

I'm an old hat at Nethack and I'd just like to give a quick piece of advice, lest I break down and try and give a full, thorough beginner's guide..

When dipping for Excalibur, the best place to do it bar none is the Oracle. You have four fountains to work with in case one or two dry up on you, the Oracle doesn't care if you use her fountains for that purpose, and it's pretty easy to prep yourself for Excalibur dipping. The worse that can happen is a water demon or water moccasins if you didn't gain poison resistance up until then or a water nymph. But by then you should have at least a wand that can engrave Elbereth or try dipping near the exit in case thing take a turn for the worse.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:14 am »

I use a spreadsheet to keep important information discovered, e.g.

1. Layout. Where is Mine entrance, Oracle, Big Room, Castle, Home portal, etc.
2. Notable features, e.g. fountains, sinks, thrones, vaults, poly trap, etc.
3. Shops.
4. Intrinsic gained.
5. Last prayed turn number.
6. Altars/temples and their alignment.
7. Locations of my stashes, whether they are on the ground, in a container, has a E-word or not.
8. Species genocided and wish used.
9. Long/short term goals, like going for a poly-pile or need to find reflection.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 22, 2011, 02:51:07 am »

So many hotkeys... and they are more numerous than DF.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 22, 2011, 02:54:13 am »

So many hotkeys... and they are more numerous than DF.

"Hotkeys" is technically incorrect, because there's no real alternative (except in some interfaces, maybe).

Once you learn them, you won't believe how easy it is. Faster than mouse interfaces...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 128