Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175411 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1485 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:52 pm »

I've played for a year or two. I use Wizard Mode to get by on things that nobody should survive. I've actually level-ported down to The Valley of the Dead. My favorite special levels in the entire game are Mine-Town, Fort Ludios, and The Castle. I mostly play as a human. I once wished for a monster taming scroll, read it next to a hostile dwarf, successfully netted it as a pet, and 'C'alled it Urist. He only lasted for about 20 turns, though, with only a dagger.

I sometimes wish for freakishly over-enchanted weapons and armor, like a +100 silver saber and a +75 cloak of magic resistance.

I like Mine-Town because I intentionally get the guards killed accidentally "accidentally", by waiting until a guard is a few squares behind a hostile monster, and I zap the monster, and therefore the guard, with my blessed wand of death (0:99).

I like Fort Ludios because of the amounts of soldiers (and their K- and C-rations), lots of boxes to use to hold loot, and the unsane amounts of gold. I've read the NetHack wiki article on the place and saw that it holds around 50,000 gold pieces. I wish for multiple blessed bags of holding, go and find all the gold, and put about 10k gold inside of each bag. I take the boxes and chests to hold all the other loot (like land-mines and bear-traps) to take to Mine-Town to sell for even more gold. Croesus can (literally) be a real pain sometimes. Fortunately, he wears no armor (bug?), and is quite vulnerable at range. I just shoot him.

I like The Castle because of the amount of soldiers as well and for the storerooms at the other end. They hold lots of valuable gems, good food, useful (and potentially magical) armor, and lethal (?) weapons. If I have any charges left, I simply clear out one half of the barracks with one shot for the loot they drop, move in, kill the soldier on the corner of the door, and zap the other soldiers. When it comes to the Dragons... I fight until I die. Then I refuse to do so, and I fight until I die again. And then... Well, you know.

Anyway, I never really play normally.

EDIT: I've also read the feat of DeathOnAStick in the wiki. His first attempt must have SUCKED, having drunk Rodney's CURSED potion of gain level after he dropped it. Bummer...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:31:43 pm by UristMcHuman »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »

I've played for a year or two. I use Wizard Mode to get by on things that nobody should survive. I've actually level-ported down to The Valley of the Dead. My favorite special levels in the entire game are Mine-Town, Fort Ludios, and The Castle. I mostly play as a human. I once wished for a monster taming scroll, read it next to a hostile dwarf, successfully netted it as a pet, and 'C'alled it Urist. He only lasted for about 20 turns, though, with only a dagger.

Aw man, now I want to start up a game to see if I can put a leash on a pet dwarf.

Or better yet, a saddle.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 16, 2011, 12:04:00 am »

Or better yet, a saddle.
You can't saddle dwarfs. I've tried saddling a tame soldier I made, and it didn't work.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:05 am »

Shush you, I'm enjoying the mental imagery of getting piggy-backed into hell by a stout, diminutive man, as I fight all manner of mythical beings.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 16, 2011, 09:08:36 am »

Technically, it's not Hell anymore, probably because of the complaints of instadying after dropping through the trap doors in the Castle without fire resistance. It's now known as Gehennom, the Home of Moloch.

Orcus Town is the best place to go if you're short on provisions, good armor and strong weapons, but keep in mind the large and giant mimics (unless you've genocided them, then the whole shop is yours for the looting). I've fought a small mimic in NetHack on my dad's iPod Touch. Those suckers hit HARD. I, on a couple of occasions, died INSTANTLY after being hit by one.

And dwarves in NetHack only dig. They don't do anything productive. Hell, they don't even carry potions of booze with them (WTF?).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:05 am »

I just downloaded the game to try it.
I started as a knight with a pony.
I climbed the stairs and I won the game.

Yay :D

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 16, 2011, 10:44:56 am »

Orcus Town is the best place to go if you're short on provisions, good armor and strong weapons, but keep in mind the large and giant mimics (unless you've genocided them, then the whole shop is yours for the looting). I've fought a small mimic in NetHack on my dad's iPod Touch. Those suckers hit HARD. I, on a couple of occasions, died INSTANTLY after being hit by one.

Giant mimics hit hard. The normal version's hits can be survived unless you're the most fragile type.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:22 am »

Good choice. If you had tried to sit on the pony, you would have fallen, hit your head, and died.
Leaving the dungeon at the beginning is the only way to survive!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:27 am »

And still I fail at getting a zen ascension.

Gorram *spoilers*
*Hugs*

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »

No yay, you quit the game. The only way to climb the stairs and not quit is to have the Amulet of Yendor in your possession. If you do, go climb the stairs and you entre the Plane of Earth. If you don't have the (real) Amulet, you technically quit.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU DRINK AFTER YOU KILL RODNEY AND TAKE HIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 16, 2011, 07:30:45 pm »

It wasn't the giants. It was the thousands of gems they were holding that caused the D:
*Hugs*

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 17, 2011, 11:42:26 am »

I need to know how to make a link to the article about DeathOnAStick at the NetHack Wiki in my spoiler.

That was my first spoiler, BTW.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:57 pm »

Code: [Select]
[url=url goes here]Text[/url]

or

[url]url goes here[/url]

or

url goes here

DeathOnAStick, everybody.

He/she later tried again, ascending after 405 hours on August 16, 2010, bringing over 8,000 gems.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:55:11 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 19, 2011, 02:46:35 pm »

First floor, drank from a sink a few times. Got polymorphed into a Stone Gargoyle (usually what I like to polymorph to when I have the choice early on). I had some babies (6...I realized it'd be impossible to get them down and ate 3 of the eggs...then I left my cat and one of them upstairs.)

So now I've got two pet stone gargoyles at the very start. This could go quite nicely :)

Went pretty well, but I was outclassed the whole game by my pets. First time I had controlled teleportitis, which was fun...didn't come in when I got seperated from my pets a bit and got killed (coincidentially) by a Gargoyle.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:58:57 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »

Started playing Wizards recently...I've decided that the key to success is to:
-Start-scum for spell of ID (Magic Missile is alright too) and ring of Slow Digestion (less vital...but quite helpful in the next step).
-Spam "9999." at an altar, get Magicbane.

So much boring at the beginning...
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 128