Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175474 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1395 on: September 27, 2010, 04:14:17 am »

LichENS not liches. Lichens are the weird molds you encounter early in the game.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 27, 2010, 04:32:08 am »

The devnull tournament is just around the corner, and I can't wait to play! This is one of my all time favorite games. I've beaten it with a lot of the classes but not all of them. I love playing as a wizard or rogue. I tend to play in spurts. I'll leave it alone for a while and then suddenly play 24/7 for about a month or two. If you've never played the game with a BoH full of trice eggs, I highly recommend you give it a try. There's no feeling quite like the one you get from turning almost everything to stone.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 27, 2010, 05:10:39 am »

The devnull tournament is just around the corner, and I can't wait to play! This is one of my all time favorite games. I've beaten it with a lot of the classes but not all of them. I love playing as a wizard or rogue. I tend to play in spurts. I'll leave it alone for a while and then suddenly play 24/7 for about a month or two. If you've never played the game with a BoH full of trice eggs, I highly recommend you give it a try. There's no feeling quite like the one you get from turning almost everything to stone.

The dorfs will never stop partying! :o

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 27, 2010, 07:17:32 am »

Oh hey, there's a Nethack thread.

...The furthest I've ever gotten was the Big Room, due to me not understanding Elbereth at the time.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 27, 2010, 07:24:00 am »

I'm glad that some people are still interested in this game. I don't play anymore, but I do tell my friends about Nethack, and when I do, I'm always sure to bring up the story about my Samurai that choked to death on a Titan corpse just a few squares from the High Altar.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 27, 2010, 08:24:40 am »

I died in the Astral Plane once.  The requirements for doing Gehennom are very low compared to the requirements for doing the Endgame.  I thought I was fine the way I went through Gehennom but it turns out I wasn't ready for Astral.
Shoes...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:04 am »

Still haven't made a zen ascension, the furthest I've managed to get in a zen game is Rodney, it's just too damn hard to nick the amulet back while blind. Anybody managed this?
*Hugs*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 27, 2010, 12:18:26 pm »

I'm glad that some people are still interested in this game. I don't play anymore, but I do tell my friends about Nethack, and when I do, I'm always sure to bring up the story about my Samurai that choked to death on a Titan corpse just a few squares from the High Altar.

You ate a Titan corpse. What did you expect?

In other news, I survived the big room despite teleportitis, only to die in a zoo two levels down, thanks to a wand of fire. The best part? I had an identified amulet of life saving in my bag of holding, but was wearing another amulet (turned out to be an amulet versus poison) to identify it. I already had poison resistance, and knew beforehand that it wasn't reflection, so it was useless anyway. Stupid ogre kings and their wands of fire. Mine was out of charges. So now I've started a neutral human priest and have already identified boots of levitation, jumping and water walking, and gauntlets of fumbling/power/dexterity. Nice big armor shop on level 2.

EDIT: Priest died, started a wizard. Scroll of identify, spellbook of create monster, potions of levitation, confusion and see invisible, rings of slow digestion(!) and teleport control(!!), wand of teleportation(0:6)(!!!) and a blindfold. The only way this could have gone better is if I had gotten a wand of polymorph or fire, and a potion or two of holy water.

And then I blew my identify on a cursed scroll of fire. I guess it could be useful if I get to Gehennom and get slimed.

EDIT:
Urist Imiknorris
293 Au
Killed by a small mimic

Fucking gecko blocking the hallway, and I was out of energy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:39:32 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »

So, after not playing for a while, I decided to start a totally random game. I ended up as a male chaotic human wizard.
In the second room I went to, there was a fountain. I drank from the fountain, and a water demon came out and gave me a wish the first time I tried.
I wished for a +3 blessed greased fixed silver dragon scale mail.

I am assuming this is a very good start.
Edit: What do you want to drink? [fghq or ?*] q
 Your feet are frozen to the floor... The jackal bites! The jackal bites! The jackal bites! ...
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:47:11 pm by fivex »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 30, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »

I got to the castle in my last play, then met a mind flayer and the RNG told me that I would not hit it and my greased helmet would be useless. So I started up a wizard.

Turn 1:
What class of monsters do you wish to genocide? L
Wiped out all liches. Wiped out all demiliches. Wiped out all master liches. Wiped out all arch-liches.

I love wizards. I also started with rings of teleport control and see invisible, a spellbook of create monster, and a blessed scroll of enchant weapon. I'm neutral, so I'll probably wish up the Staff of Aesculapius.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 30, 2010, 12:44:08 pm »

Edit: What do you want to drink? [fghq or ?*] q
 Your feet are frozen to the floor... The jackal bites! The jackal bites! The jackal bites! ...
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)

Protip: Don't drink unidentified potions without locking yourself in a room.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:23 pm »

The same applies for reading unidentified scrolls. With spellbooks, you also will want teleport control.

EDIT: Yay, bag of holding.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:55:12 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »

Where's the fun in that ;)
Anyone got any tips for a zen game? I keep getting killed shortly after encountering Rodney.
*Hugs*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »

Other than warning and telepathy?

EDIT: Rubber chicken and gloves.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:14:22 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:00 pm »

A bit of a necro, but I don't want to clutter up the happy/sad threads anymore.

I blew it.  Mind flayer got me which unidentified wands of striking.  I don't derp around with the drawbridge so I always just hit it with striking and run for the chokepoint.  I looked in my bag and couldn't find any wands of striking, so I used the bell of opening.  DIdn't work, so I changed position and did it again.  One more charge, no idea how else I could get the thing open, I was planning on using my wrest wish for a magic marker so I figured it wasn't a big problem and used the last charge.  Still didn't work >:s  As if that weren't bad enough, some desperate searching of my bag and I found out I had like ten wands of striking, they had just been unidentified. 

Anyway, that thing about the magic marker and the charging didn't happen.  After writing some scrolls, recharging it (My wand of wishing only gave me one scroll.  The way circumstances fell together to arrange this bullshit is almost beautiful), and so on and so forth, I got around to writing a g - scroll of charging to charge my G - bell.  I missed the shift key.  I charged my scroll of charging.  Of course, after that the marker was spent.

Since then I have seen one scroll of charging, in Vlad's tower.  It was cursed.  I'm basically ready to get the book and begin the ascension run as soon as I can recharge my bell.  Currently I'm a bit more than halfway through tearing the dungeon apart looking for a scroll of charging, magic marker, wand of polymorph (To polypile for a marker), or something, anything, that will lead to me obtaining a scroll of charging.  I've gone through every wand and scroll of create monster I've found, turned the castle upside down, Object Detection and Crystal Balled my way through Gehennom, wrested both my spent wands of polymorph on piles of magic whistles and unicorn horns, getting nothing but junk, it's beginning to look grim.

I'm going to do my math homework now, and hopefully you guys can help me out.  Are there any ways I've overlooked to get a charge into my bell?  Should I cut my losses and start over?  If I do I think I'll try a different class.  Even though I've never ascended I've got enough experience I don't think I need the Valkyrie crutches anymore, and having some spellcasting ability might have saved me in this game.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 128