Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175498 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1350 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:47 am »

Well tickle me interested.... Any place I could find a VERY good guide? Got spawned as a neutral human priest.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 22, 2010, 05:11:11 am »

Well tickle me interested.... Any place I could find a VERY good guide?
...Not really, besides the official guidebook from the authors themselves the best I could find is this.

Oh, and unless you are 90% insane and 10% baddass I highly, highly suggest you read spoilers on the nethack wiki, as it's more then difficult enough to win even if you know what everything does.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 22, 2010, 08:24:45 am »

So, I've got awesome armor, an awesome backup weapon, some good tools, and an emergency food source.  I've got high hopes for this game.

I thought the e was a *, but it was really a e because my eyes don't work with dark colors.  Then a tengu came out of nowhere.  Well, fuck...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 22, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »

I got stuck on a doorway I couldn't break down and since there were guys on either side I couldn't get off and I died, on the astral plane, 6 squares from an altar.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 22, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »

I got stuck on a doorway I couldn't break down and since there were guys on either side I couldn't get off and I died, on the astral plane, 6 squares from an altar.
Oohhhh, that sucks.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 22, 2010, 02:31:12 pm »

Atleast you didn't choke to death on a titan corpse.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 22, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

I think if I try again it'll be a knight, so I can jumpy jump around and maybe do a bit better.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 22, 2010, 03:35:18 pm »

So, new character, actually doing fairly well after a couple dead-end Archeologists.  Went for a neutral human monk this time.  Pet died kinda early, and pits and teleport traps have bounced me all over the levels, but now I'm in the bottom of the Gnomish Mines whomping ass left and right.  Pretty good kit - with some not-at-all timely help from my pet before it died, I acquired a cloak of protection, a regen ring, loads of food and tools, and a spellbook of sleep.  I've also got like a billion different potions I'm not willing to quaff yet.

But while checking through my inventory, I remembered I also got some unidentified gloves and another ring.  I've since found them to be uncursed, so I tried them on for a lark.  Ring of Strength and Gauntlets of Power.  Strength 25.  On a Monk.  He's a keeper now.

The really stupid part?  At the lack of absolutely anything better, I named him Gamzee.  That is not the right name.  Is it possible to rename yourself?

UPDATE: Ain't I a lucky bastard.  Just managed to win a fight with a gargoyle (2 HP left, right when a succubus shows up), then I manage to burden myself.  By picking up a loadstone.  Dammit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:41:33 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

I take it he died? If not, then PRAY for your life!

What happened to the other guy?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 22, 2010, 03:44:43 pm »

UPDATE: Ain't I a lucky bastard.  Just managed to win a fight with a gargoyle (2 HP left, right when a succubus shows up), then I manage to burden myself.  By picking up a loadstone.  Dammit.
That's the RNG for ya, makes you think it's being all nice by giving you powerful stuff then screws you over.

What happened to the other guy?
I thought the e was a *, but it was really a e because my eyes don't work with dark colors.  Then a tengu came out of nowhere.  Well, fuck...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 22, 2010, 04:04:54 pm »

So, new character, actually doing fairly well after a couple dead-end Archeologists.  Went for a neutral human monk this time.  Pet died kinda early, and pits and teleport traps have bounced me all over the levels, but now I'm in the bottom of the Gnomish Mines whomping ass left and right.  Pretty good kit - with some not-at-all timely help from my pet before it died, I acquired a cloak of protection, a regen ring, loads of food and tools, and a spellbook of sleep.  I've also got like a billion different potions I'm not willing to quaff yet.

But while checking through my inventory, I remembered I also got some unidentified gloves and another ring.  I've since found them to be uncursed, so I tried them on for a lark.  Ring of Strength and Gauntlets of Power.  Strength 25.  On a Monk.  He's a keeper now.

The really stupid part?  At the lack of absolutely anything better, I named him Gamzee.  That is not the right name.  Is it possible to rename yourself?

Pssst...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I'm playing Angband now.  It's got some flaws, I don't like the way dungeon floors aren't persistent, but it also has a strange charm.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 22, 2010, 04:07:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like I don't know every trick in the wiki.  It was in Mine's End, hiding with a bunch of awesome real gems.

I take it he died? If not, then PRAY for your life!

Tried praying, all I got was protection.  I tried reading some scrolls, first got total amnesia, then a tower of flame.  But then a magic trap of all things removed the curse.  The RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh away.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 22, 2010, 05:08:44 pm »

I hate when the gods don't give you anything good.  Tyr did that to me and that's part of why I tripped over the finish line on my run.
Shoes...

Master Yi

• Escaped Lunatic
  • do not fear the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 22, 2010, 05:29:44 pm »

I play a DS port all the time (info http://blog.b-ark.ca/NetHackDS)

I'm so bad at this game, and despite spending hours reading the Nethack wiki I still don't understand enough to survive very long. That said my current run just got a wish from a throne, now I'm a lvl 9 Samurai sporting his +2 blah blah GDSM. It keeps me alive while I haphazardly run around the mines. (Except when it got stolen along with everything I had except my bow. Hunting that Nymph in a dark level without a lamp or any armor was scary :| )

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 22, 2010, 06:41:48 pm »

Using the wiki too much ruins the game expirence though.

Nethack is about the journey, not the destination.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:44:42 pm by cowofdoom78963 »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 128