Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175496 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1335 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:38 pm »

How about Archeologist?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 21, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

How about Archeologist?

We have a winner. Do you want to choose a race and alignment to go along with that?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »

Ehhh, I'm not picky. Human.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:48 pm »

I've genocided mind flayers, master mind flayers, sea monsters, and liches of all kinds.  Feels good man.

Now I'ma find a cursed scroll lying around, genocide me up some wraiths, and get ready for Gehennom.
Shoes...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 21, 2010, 11:43:09 pm »

Gaining levels is bad, in many cases.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 21, 2010, 11:44:09 pm »

Why?

Also, I prayed to bless water and for my valorous efforts Tyr gave me a blank spellbook.  Thanks, man.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 21, 2010, 11:48:33 pm »

Higher level monsters will appear more often, and lower level monsters will appear less often. Though personally I don't think of leveling up as much of a bad thing.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 21, 2010, 11:57:34 pm »

Uh...well, if you're willing to burn Markers you CAN get new spells with that. but it takes a bundle.

But in most cases once you're Quest-worthy you have enough power to get through most things; and levelling will not solve the issues.

Remember, levelling up increases the power of the opposition, as well as yourself. Make sure you're not just getting +1 to attack, HP, Pw, #untrap.

There are other ways to gain most of the benefits of levelling up without the increased enemy strength.

I like bones piles as a ready source of unholy water and/or scrolls.

It could be argued that getting to 21 is worthwhile  for 100% untrap alone, but...if it's for the HP, go to a no-teleport, lock yourself up, and r-geno Nurses.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 22, 2010, 12:20:52 am »

I just noticed most ascensions were in the 20s and assumed I wouldn't be able to handle deep Gehennom at level 16.  Since that's not true, I didn't take the wraiths.

Juiblex is down, Asmodeus was being a pussy with a wand of digging and as soon as I left the swamp he went up the stairs, and when I followed him he teleported all the way to the upstair, so to hell with him, if I see him again I'll kill him, otherwise he's not my priority.  Now I'm back in the maze.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 22, 2010, 12:24:05 am »

Trust me, you should kill him now before you get the wizard after you. It's incredibly time consuming to hit him a bunch of times to make him get out of the way, then in a few turns have him blocking your way again, and having to repeat this until you get to the upstairs, then have him just go up it and start the mess all over again.

At least, that's what my experience with Yeenoghu was like, I'm not sure it's the same with other demon princes/lords though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:29:39 am by Tarran »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 22, 2010, 12:31:57 am »

Fine, fine.  Man, everything is so much more easygoing without liches.

Asmodeus and Beelzebub down.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:36:29 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 22, 2010, 12:38:36 am »

My neutral human archy is doing good for the first few floors. Found a leash, so I can now keep my dog with me. Invaluable since I've found a few shops. I'll need a weapon better than my pickaxe though, since I can't bring it into stores with me, and I fear horrible death by mimics.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 22, 2010, 12:48:04 am »

I'm starting up a knight now.

Ohh! Goblin with a lucky shot on the first level, knocking 6 HP out of my 16 HP in one hit. Ouch.

Expect to see further updates from me as this guy progresses to his painful death glorious ascension.

I just killed a floating eye by throwing my lance at it... Yeah, that's right, I threw my lance at it (after weakening it with daggers of course). Too bad it didn't leave a corpse.

Had to pray for food after eating several apples, it's not going to well for me right now.

Of course, there's two slime molds waiting for me just downstairs. Thanks, RNG.

Oh dear god, dwarf lords aren't fun, down to 7 out of 37 HP. Jeez.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:14:33 am by Tarran »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 22, 2010, 01:09:17 am »

Yeah, knights are a real bitch foodwise.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to start playing Angband a bit after I ascend or if I want to try some other classes on Nethack.

...Not that I expect to ascend or anything, if the RNG is listening...
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 22, 2010, 01:15:59 am »

DYWYPI to a hill orc. Whoops, shouldn't have tried to fight him. *Slaps forhead* Well, that was fail. ::)

Okay, time to try Tourist to see how quickly I can die without trying.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 128