Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175505 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1320 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »

I probably just have a really high tolerance for typing out Elbereth. I've probably typed it out thousands of times in my Nethack career.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:00 pm »

Yeah, totally, my first wish was actually +oIdent.

It was also on level 4, had my full kit (barring =oLevi) before Medusa. It was quite ridiculous how overprepared that priest was. I still had like fifty blank scrolls and about 4 rounds of Markers left (that is, rechargable).

I dislike Elbereth, I only use it for stashes, mostly.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 21, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »

Taking on the castle without MR or Reflection, because I didn't have anything else to do and if I can't get that wand of wishing it's not going to matter, I'll never win.

Also, I dug down from Medusa and hit the castle, and I don't have levitation, waterwalking, or any of the stuff that the RNG has denied me this game, so it's not like I have much of a choice, what with the no teleport.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:58 pm »

Goddamnit, there's PLENTY of ways to get what you need Cthulhu, you're not trying hard enough.

If you need reflection, put on a blindfold, kill medusa, and then break up the statues that are in her lair. One's BOUND to have a shield of reflection inside it. Just be sure to uncurse it first, as it tends to be generated cursed.

Also, what's your character class? The quest for alot of classes have TONS of treasure just lying around.

What'd you get from Sokoban anyway? There's an amulet of reflection as a possible reward in their.

Playing Nethack recklessly, assuming that you're never going to win will never get you anywhere.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 21, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

One's BOUND to have a shield of reflection inside it.

Not really true.
In the titan version of Medusa's Island, the statue of Perseus has a 75% chance of containing a cursed +0 shield of reflection. In the other version the chance is 25%.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 21, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »

Well Mr. Pessimistic, guess what I just did...

I'll give you a hint, it starts with K, and rhymes with "Kicked everyone's ass and took the wand of wishing"

Anyway, Sokoban had a bag of holding, which was only my third one.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »

You did it without MR or Reflection? Nice.

Anyway, what are you going to wish for?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 21, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »

It's not that difficult, from what I understand-just drawbridge spam at knight's-move over an E.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 21, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »

Blessed greased blah blah blah is assumed, and won't be mentioned.

Scrolls of charging (Duh)
Cloak of Magic Resistance
SDSM (This was actually a mistake, and I'm kicking myself.  I meant to wish for an amulet and pick some scales from my pack I could still use, but I've got head-in-clouds syndrome and wasn't paying attention)
Sceptre of Might (for conflict, although I probably shouldn't have wished for the cloak then, dammit.)
Helm of Telepathy
Gauntlets of power

I have one more wish.  I'm thinking a blessed scroll of genocide, since I haven't gotten it yet and I'm really wary of these eels running around, plus then I could write it for summoning wraiths, etc.  I'm not sure though.  What should I wish for?  It's either the scroll of a form of levitation, I'm thinking.  Any ideas?

Ninja:

I'm weird about E, I almost never use it and when I do it doesn't help me at all, which is probably why I rarely use it.

Anyway, I ran up across from the drawbridge, read a scroll of earth, made a 3-wide bridge at the entrance, pushed some boulders back to keep eels away from the hallway leading away from the castle, and then zapped the drawbridge with striking and ran back into the hallway, letting them come one at a time.  Lowest health I reached was 60 or 70% and that was in the castle proper when I got between a troll and an ogre king.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 21, 2010, 09:26:54 pm »

You really should make a habit of using E's. One time, the monster spawn rate went absolutely BONKERS and the entire floor was full of monsters, and I couldn't move back to the stairways.

What proceeded was me, sitting in the corner of a room ontop of a hundred goddamn Elbereth's, the only thing keeping me alive at that point.

I could not move off it, so, after much deliberation, I decided that the best course of action would be to dig into the wall. I did so, and, blocking the entryway of my tunnel with an Elbereth with a coin ontop of it, I continued digging. I couldn't dig down, because then I'd be digging into an even harder zone with a big mob of monsters separating me from the higher levels. I dug my way halfway through the level, all the way to the up stairway. I remember this bit of desperate ingenuity fondly, as I managed to survive, and I came back later to utterly murder all the monsters that bothered me before.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »

It's not that difficult, from what I understand-just drawbridge spam at knight's-move over an E.

That is, if you really use the drawbridge. Otherwise it would be somewhat hard to do without reflection or magic resistance due to all the random monsters that all spawn from the letters EHLMNORTXZ (which a lot of them are likely to have breath attacks/elemental attacks/special attacks that can really hurt if you aren't careful), pissed off soldiers, and moat monsters.

What should I wish for?  It's either the scroll of a form of levitation, I'm thinking.  Any ideas?
If you're a spellcaster, I'd say you have two good choices, One: Get a spellbook of Finger of Death, easy Deathrays ahoy! Two: Get a spellbook of Identify and never have to worry about unidentified stuff/identify scrolls ever again.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 21, 2010, 09:28:30 pm »

I'm a valkyrie.

Anyway, fell into the Valley, Lich spawned buncha guys, burned E, popped conflict, lol'd.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »

Yeah, Tarran's right, that was a real risky move you did Cthulhu. Reflection and magic resistance is practically necessary, and that managed to do all that without getting horrifically killed is amazing.

Good luck with your impending amounts of risky business though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 21, 2010, 09:33:28 pm »

I'm a valkyrie.
Hmm, in that case maybe wishing for blessed scrolls of genocide may be the best choice, if you do wish for them I'd suggest genociding Liches, as they can be really nasty at times.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »

I'm thinking of maybe starting up a casual game of Nethack. I'll let you guys pick what my class and race should be.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 128