Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175503 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1305 on: August 20, 2010, 04:02:22 am »

YEAH! good run Tarran!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:07 am »

Now you're a man.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 20, 2010, 09:27:24 pm »

lolgratz, although you should play on NAO so next time you win you can just post your ascension log.

I just came so close to death it was crazy.  I walked into my third throne room in a row, was fighting them off when an orange dragon came at me.  I ran back into a corner so only one could get me at a time, and while I was fighting the dragon a Troll popped up next to me.  I prayed, but Tyr was feeling dickish so he didn't heal me, next round I killed the troll and reached 2hp.  I ran and somehow managed to avoid getting killed by the dragon, now I'm up a level and catching my breath, jeez that was close.

Anyway, level 17 now, got firebrand (ugh) and a silver saber, getting my affairs in order to start on Gehennom.

Damn mind flayers though, got so close to dying and forgot I had a ring of sustain ability.  Plus, now I've forgotten half the levels so heading up to minetown to buy more protection is really slow.

Died, wasn't paying attention and fainted from hunger while attacking the castle, an eel got me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:47:18 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:52 pm »

Holy shit guys, I think I'm actually going to win this time.  This was the very first game of Nethack I've played in like a year, first character, a rogue because I like the purity of it.  I find a tool shop on Level 2, lo and behold a magic lamp (that I almost couldn't afford to use, holy shit that would have been bad).  Acquire +2 blessed greased gray dragon scale mail.  I got a bag of tricks too, but that's rarely useful.

Then I find a chaotic alter on Level 3, and sacrifice the shit out of monsters.  I get a gift...  Down in the Gnomish Mines, I lose my little dog (aw) but find a horn.  Thinking it might be magic, I wait to blow it until a monster shows up.  A food ration falls out.  Acquire horn of plenty.

I run into some trouble when I pick up some cursed daggers.  I try to get rid of them by dancing on a water trap, but they refuse to disintegrate.  Great, now I'm stuck wielding some thoroughly rusty daggers.  I head back up to the alter, hoping I can pray them off.  Right as I get there, I'm mobbed by Mordor orcs and dance my way to the alter.  The daggers drop just as I hoped.  I turn to face the crowd of orcs, and pull out what I got the last time I was at the alter.

Stormbringer.  Welcome to the party, motherfuckers.

So, I've got awesome armor, an awesome backup weapon, some good tools, and an emergency food source.  I've got high hopes for this game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1309 on: August 21, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

I've got high hopes for this game.

The last words of Aquizzar, level 7 rogue, who was killed by falling into a shaft whilst eating a biscuit and talking about how awesome he was doing.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 21, 2010, 01:02:46 pm »

Indeed, I've said that so many damn times, and I've never gotten past floor 9.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 21, 2010, 02:30:47 pm »

Good luck Aqizzar.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:27 pm »

Be sure to keep us uptodate on your progress Aqizzar. Remember, don't be afraid to consult the wiki if you're not sure of something, or ask a question here if you can't find what you're looking for.

Just remember Aqizzar, try to make your next wish something like Magicbane. I can't stress enough how important curse resistance is. I mean, seriously, after you bother Rodney, he'll be randomly cursing groups of items in your inventory at a time, and that gets REALLY inconvenient REALLY fast.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:14 pm »

I am also on a good-looking run, although I really hosed down Minetown.  Was going to farm brown puddings to sacrifice for Grayswandir, switched to poisoned arrows and they stuck to my hand while I was between two puddings, and my prayer was timed out because trollsbane (I know I'm not supposed to look a gift artifact in the mouth but come on, Tyr...).  Luckily the arrows were still strong enough to kill the puddings.  I tried dipping the arrows for remove curse (I know, derp move, and it didn't work).  Now the guards are mad and I had to kill one.

I'm good though, just got the stone, heading back up and gonna sprint through minetown just taking the time to sacrifice.

Also, I really hope I get a genocide scroll, I want to get ; so I don't get screwed over again.

Also, I found two bags of holding in the dungeon, and Sokoban felt that wasn't enough.  I'm inclined to disagree.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 21, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »

I've never had the patience to pudding farm. So good luck with that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23:22 pm »

It wasn't a serious pudding farm, it was just equipping a weak weapon and attacking the pudding until I had some corpses.
Shoes...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 21, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »

(poll)What do you think the worst normal enemy is? this is excluding,Greater Demons (such as Demogorgon,Orcus etc) ,Bosses (Rodney,Quest Boss etc)Uniques and Liches.
totally mind-flayers. (The Hyphen Is Important)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:11 pm »

I've only ever been killed by a mindflayer once, and that was when I was a Nethack noob. All subsequent times, I've trounced them.

They simply have too many weaknesses. They telecast their presence with their telekinetic attacks, meaning they can never take you by surprise. They obey Elbereth, and the intelligence drain their attacks cause can be fixed easily with a unihorn.

They're good candidate for poly-selfling though, since there's next to nothing that's immune to their attacks, and all you need to be careful of is to not attack cockatrices or ANY of the slimes.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 21, 2010, 07:06:21 pm »

Is anyone playing on Telnet? Because I'll so log on and pester you with the Mail daemon if you are.
I do play on NAO but I'm not atm. (I just ascended a priest and no comments! Totally should have died, twice, ended with...-50? AC)
It's not the dying that makes you cry, it's spending hours getting everything you need to win, and then dying to something stupid and avoidable right when victory is within sight.
I feel bad, because I have one who died to Famine, (after altar #1) because I accidentally poly'd my main BoH earlier, so I didn't have enough Death to spray to get past again.

-20 AC is enough for about everything short of Minotaurs, some Uniques[Riders come to mind], and Captains.

You shouldn't keep more than one ?oTel or !oFH in main inventory, you'll just lose them.
Well, it's wildly variable. I've had ascension runs where he didn't appear at all.
"You only killed Rodney thrice? That's pretty low."

It's not the mindflayer that kills you. It's the "...my discoveries are gone!" Yep, you don't remember what those items are anymore, just like scrolls of amnesia.

And yes, maud liked that form, I hear, for his 2400-turner.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 21, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »

It's not the mindflayer that kills you. It's the "...my discoveries are gone!" Yep, you don't remember what those items are anymore, just like scrolls of amnesia..
Ahh, the wonders of the spell of identify. :D

Of course, if you're unlucky enough not to have it or are unable to cast it at a reasonable fail rate, you're still screwed.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 128