Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175542 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1260 on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:55 am »

I am, I'm UristSquidface.

I am so mad right now.  I had just cleared out three barracks in a row so I had enough wands to Crucio everyone in Hogwarts.  I thought "Hey, I'll stuff them in my bag"  One of them was an IDENTIFIED wand of cancellation.  When I identified it formally I didn't bother to rename it DON'T PUT THIS IN A BAG, STUPID.

Son of a bitch. 

Luckily I didn't lose that much, and I'll probably be fine.  I don't know exactly what I lost and it's better that way, I don't want to think about it.
Shoes...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 19, 2010, 09:42:51 am »

do you still have lots of wands?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

Like I mentioned in the Happy thread, I've just downloaded and started playing this.. game.
I have not yet shed a single tear.
Love, scriver~

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:18 pm »

I have not yet shed a single tear.
You won't not shed a tear for long. Trust me. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 19, 2010, 05:03:54 pm »

I died. And then I died again. And again. And again.
I did not cry.
Then my kitteh died. Poor little Bottomsup. What kind of game is this, killing off innocent animals?!
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 19, 2010, 05:26:52 pm »

I died. And then I died again. And again. And again.
I did not cry.
Then my kitteh died. Poor little Bottomsup. What kind of game is this, killing off innocent animals?!

It's not the dying that makes you cry, it's spending hours getting everything you need to win, and then dying to something stupid and avoidable right when victory is within sight.

Feel free to consult the wiki, and ask questions here. You'll find that both are necessary. I ascended 3 times, and I still have alot of knowledge of the game.

Also, be sure to tell us of your YASD (Yet another stupid death) or YAAD (Yet another avoidable death) stories.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 19, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »

If anyone's wondering, my wizard is still living. I've beat the fort and I'm just about ready to take the castle. I'm meleeing(!) and touch of deathing my way through most of my enemies. And I'm feeling pretty invincible right now.

Of course, now the RNG is going to try to kill me, isn't it?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 19, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »

Alright, a list of the dumb things I did on my best character so far, probably capable of ascending had I not dun goofed.

I put a wand of cancellation in my bag of holding, destroying a lot of my stuff, including a bunch of potions/scrolls/wands/etc.  Thankfully the cancellation was pretty high in the list so I didn't kill a huge bunch of my wands, and I still had a passable supply left.

I was sacrificing for Grayswandir and accidentally sacrificed a dwarf at an altar with a priest, pissing off the priest and Tyr, and turning the altar chaotic.

I somehow burnt through the ice bridge in Medusa's lair, fell in, climbed out, walked back in, and still managed to climb out, blanking all of my potions and scrolls.

Despite all this, I got Grayswandir, cleared out the castle, and got my wand of wishing.  I wished for what I still needed armorwise and used the wrested charge to get a blessed magic marker.  I took those blanked scrolls I mentioned and made them into enchant armor and weapon scrolls and used tripe rations with them to fix all my stuff.  By the end of it my AC was -25 so I was regenerating health faster than the enemies could hurt me.  I was also dual-wielding +5 grayswandir and a +2 blessed silver saber.  I was basically ready, and started heading down to tackle Gehennom, hopefully finding another magic marker so I could bring my second saber up to snuff and really kick some ass. 

One problem:  I forgot candles.  I decided to head back up and grab them, bought seven, started going back down.  Fought a frost giant, he dropped a pink potion.  I had identified most potions at that point so I thought there couldn't be anything bad.  It was a potion of polymorph, and next think I knew I'd lost my +5 cloak of displacement and my +5 hawaiian shirt, and was now a dragon.  I was pretty pissed, but decided I'd just deal with it when I found that magic marker and maybe a lamp or wand of wishing.  Anyway, orb of fate tells me something's coming, it was a 1 on the warning scale so I just walked up and smacked it down as soon as it turned the corner.

It was a cockatrice.

Son of a bitch.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 19, 2010, 06:13:02 pm »

...Ouch. That sucks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

Was all that one character Cthulhu? If so, then your character had a fulfilling life of escaping death at every turn before dying stupidly. I mean, seriously, pissing off a priest is usually instant death, those guys are tough.

So, just remember your mistakes, which were numerous.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:15:59 pm by JoshuaFH »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »

I'm done with the Castle, going down to Gehennom now. I have -25 AC, 3MC (I'm pretty sure), half physical damage, half spell damage, +6 Magicbane as a melee weapon, knowledge of just about any spell you can think of, very fast, wearing a robe, all armor and Magicbane is blessed, wearing the Eye of the Aethiopica, genocided nymphs, liches, ;'s and mimics, and I also have a spare blessed genocide scroll in reserve, I have all 7 candles, two spare wishes remaining, nearly maxed out stats (18St 23Dx 16Co 23In 23Wi 13Ch), a spare AoLS if I ever need it, more then enough food, MANY wands, tons of gems and tons of cash in credit at a shop, 4 spare weapon artifacts (Sting, Orcrist, Stormbringer and Frost Brand), 5 lizard corpses, plenty of blank scrolls should I ever find another magic marker, 17 potions of holy water and finally a blessed luckstone.

I'm pretty sure I'm ready. :P

Wish me luck!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »

That's passable AC for everyday fighting, but the High Priest of Moloch will cream your ass if you don't have an ace up your sleeve. I personally only feel comfortable at -40 AC, or something close to it. Also, you didn't mention anything about reflection, which is a practical necessity for surviving the holy lightning that killing the priest entails.

What sorts of rings do you have? What creatures have you genocided thus far? Do you have a method of confusing yourself? Do you have some scrolls of locate gold?

How do you intend to get through the water dimension? Can you levitate? Can you polymorph? Do you have boots of water walking?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »

Also, you didn't mention anything about reflection, which is a practical necessity for surviving the holy lightning that killing the priest entails.
Oh, forgot about that. Yes, I do have reflection, in the form of SDSM. I also have a backup amulet.

What sorts of rings do you have?
Conflict, levitation, 2 cursed invisibility rings (from Nazguls), one (non-cursed) invisibility, regeneration, fire resistance, shock resistance, searching, slow digestion, teleportation, polymorph, +2 increase damage.

What creatures have you genocided thus far?
genocided nymphs, liches, ;'s and mimics, and I also have a spare blessed genocide scroll in reserve
(Note, I just realized I had only 4 blessed scrolls thus I only could have genocided 3 species if I saved one, and I don't really remember genocideing ;s)

Do you have a method of confusing yourself?
Plenty of forgotten spells.

Do you have some scrolls of locate gold?
Just one uncursed one, unfortunately. That's likely to change sometime later though.

How do you intend to get through the water dimension? Can you levitate? Can you polymorph? Do you have boots of water walking?
Yes, I can levitate due to the ring (that I wished for, since I never found one), I also have water walking (not fireproof though), I also have a ring of polymorph, but no polymorph control.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:39:26 pm by Tarran »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

Alright, I think you're set. Just be sure to not throw all your items into your bag of holding. There's certain items that you want to keep in your inventory, so that you can use that at a moment's notice should you need to. Examples include:

Wand of death for Rodney, famine, and pestilence.

Wand of Fire for a quick perma-E should you happen across demogorgon by accident. It's unlikely, but it's happened to me.

A blindfold, should you stumble across Archons while ascending. They have a stunning gaze, and a nasty as hell attack. Don't underestimate them.

Potions of full healing, because you have to always be prepared to restore your health, and you can't waste time rummaging through a bag.

and be sure to never, ever let go of your magicbane. Curse resistance is a huge boon when you're being hounded by Rodney. Also, out of sheer paranoia, before visiting the last floor of gehennom, I took the time to visit every single level of the dungeon and dig a straight path from the upstairs to the downstairs, in order to minimize the amount of time I'd be faffing about.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »

Wand of death for Rodney, famine, and pestilence.
Not needed, I have the finger of death spell. :D

Wand of Fire for a quick perma-E should you happen across demogorgon by accident. It's unlikely, but it's happened to me.
My Magicbane has been working fine so far. Though if you say so, I'll grab one and leave it in my main inventory.

A blindfold, should you stumble across Archons while ascending. They have a stunning gaze, and a nasty as hell attack. Don't underestimate them.
I have a towel, which is even better, so no worries.

Potions of full healing, because you have to always be prepared to restore your health, and you can't waste time rummaging through a bag.
Hmm, good idea.

and be sure to never, ever let go of your magicbane.
HOW DARE YOU THINK I WOULD EVER DROP MY PRECIOUS MAGICBANE?!

Also, out of sheer paranoia, before visiting the last floor of gehennom, I took the time to visit every single level of the dungeon and dig a straight path from the upstairs to the downstairs, in order to minimize the amount of time I'd be faffing about.
I'll try to remember to do that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:34:19 pm by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 128