Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175560 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1230 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:10 pm »

Bags of any kind are invaluable for protecting you stuff. Always pick one up if you can.
...I haven't found even one so far... Damn RNG.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 17, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

If you can't place them in a bag, then drop them on the ground before doing battle with a winter wolf (or whatever they're called), since their beams won't hit things lying on the ground IIRC.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 17, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »

I... Uh, accidentally reloaded while typing the next thingamajig game update thing. So... No more updates on my guy like that, since I wasn't feeling like continuing it anyway...

Anyway, my guy is still alive, he had some fails, and I decided to use my last magic lamp for a bag of holding. I also got a wish from a fountain (I was quaffing, looking for magic fountains) and wished for +3 Silver Dragon Scale mail and got it (yes, I forgot the greased and blessed parts sadly). And continue on to this point, I have -11 AC, reflection, Magic resistance, 3MC and half physical damage. I have a blessed Rustproof +2 Magicbane as my weapon and I'm expert in daggers. I have water walking boots, and spell knowledge on Force bolt, Healing, detect treasure, extra healing, confuse monster, clairvoyance, sleep, create monster and knock.

I'm feeling pretty good, this is THE best mage I have ever played. I hope I can get this guy to ascend!
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 17, 2010, 10:02:35 pm »

You're doing pretty well for yourself.

Did you do Sokoban before wishing for the bag of holding? Sokoban has a bag of holding very often. Also, for wishing, just remember the phrase 'blessed greased fixed'. Chant it in your head like a mantra for wishing, so you never forget it. You can apply it to any wish with no negative consequences.

Remember that repeatedly praying on an co-aligned altar can net you your class's god gift, which for mages is a book of polymorph, which is extremely useful. I'm pretty sure, atleast.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »

Did you do Sokoban before wishing for the bag of holding? Sokoban has a bag of holding very often.
I... I got the one with the amulet of reflection, as you know I need storage, so the amulet is the exact opposite of what I wanted.

Remember that repeatedly praying on an co-aligned altar can net you your class's god gift, which for mages is a book of polymorph, which is extremely useful. I'm pretty sure, atleast.
I'll try to remember that.

Edit: I just stumbled upon a beehive, and got 21 pieces of Royal Jelly!

Edit: My god is extremely nice, nicer then I want in fact, I've got Stormbringer and Orcrist just from a few sacrifices, Jeez, I was sacrificing just to know how you were feeling, god! Not for some gifts! Also: There's a store with a TON of mimics. like, a LOT of them. I wonder why the shop keeper hasn't noticed yet.

Edit: Woo, I won't have to ever fight Juiblex or Yeenoghu, since I summoned them by sacrificing other elves I summoned with the create monster spell.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:09:26 pm by Tarran »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 18, 2010, 12:56:48 am »

I just found a blessed scroll of genocide,what should I genocide? (I am running Slashem)(edit)Lucky bastard,Juiblex is NASTY due to his sickness attack.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:58:22 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:41 am »

There's quite a few things you can genocide, though with Blessed scrolls, it's an entire 'caste' of letters instead of individual creatures.

L for liches is a favorite.

h for dwarves and mindflayers is another (DON'T DO THIS IF YOUR CHARACTER IS A DWARF!)

; for all aquatic life, which'll get rid of all creatures in the moat, all fish in medusa's lair, and all creature in the water level of ascending to heaven. I just particular hate them because of electric eels that can zap you, and other eels that can grab you and drown you for a two turn kill if you're not greased up.

OR, you can save the scroll, and use it as an escape item. What I mean by that is: say you've been cornered by a gaggle of trolls. You're low on health, and no other modes of escape are present. You can then use the scroll to instantaneously kill all the trolls in one sweep, and thus save your life.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 18, 2010, 01:05:45 am »

I hear when you use a scroll of genocide on a group of creatures and then use it on a different group, the first group you genocided will return. I always imagined somebody would write a fanfic about this property, and how a race of creatures that could kill all life was 'sealed' away by the power of genocide and an adventurer who attempts to use one unwillingly unleashes the apocolyapse.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 18, 2010, 01:10:59 am »

What race will effect me most in the late and mid game?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:09 am »

I hear when you use a scroll of genocide on a group of creatures and then use it on a different group, the first group you genocided will return. I always imagined somebody would write a fanfic about this property, and how a race of creatures that could kill all life was 'sealed' away by the power of genocide and an adventurer who attempts to use one unwillingly unleashes the apocolyapse.

That's an interesting concept Duke, but that's not how it works in Nethack. Once you use a scroll of genocide, whatever you genocided is basically erased, not only from existence, but from the timeline altogether, and removes any possibility of anything ever BECOMING that creature as well. It's an incredibly spiteful magic.

So what I'm saying is, you can use multiple scrolls of genocide with each one being independent of eachother. Heck, if you use enough, you can genocide every single species that CAN be genocided. The only creatures that can't be geno'd are golems, elementals, angels, demons, and special enemies like the Riders IIRC.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:47 am »

Mainly Liches. At least, that's what I think that's the most common problem in the late-mid game.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 18, 2010, 01:15:59 am »

Once I just ran through stairs and stairs I was a pretty low level and I encountered 5 LICHES that's right 5 and they death touched me :( so Liches it is.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:55 am »

That's hard to say. THE enemy that will effect you the most is Rodney, but you can't target him with the scroll. Liches are aggravating in every way, and they're the only enemy besides Rodney that can curse your items, so if I really had to, I'd pick them.

Well, technically other enemy's can curse your items, but it's such an abysmally unlikely event that I've personally never had it happen to me.

There's alot of Lich hate in Nethack.

EDIT: Bleh, Ninja'd

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 18, 2010, 01:23:47 am »

How will TWOY effect me in hell?does he stalk you in hell or is he just in his own level?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:25 am »

How will TWOY effect me in hell?does he stalk you in hell or is he just in his own level?

The wizard of Yendor, or Rodney as alot of players refer to him, sits at the very bottom-most level of hell protecting his amulet. He will not bother you until you take it from him, but once you do, he'll prove to be your most worthy adversary.

He'll teleport TO YOU, no matter where you are, and constantly lay siege to you. He can finger of death, summon powerful creatures, create clones of himself, curse your items (he doesn't even need to be within sight of you to curse your items, and the only way to resist it is with Magicbane) and then auto-revive when you kill him. He's also covetous, meaning that he'll take the quest items straight out of your inventory, including the Amulet, and then run away from you once he has it, necessitating that you follow him deeper down until you can retrieve it. He also has a habit of dropping fake replicas of the amulet of yendor, and this necessitates that you amulet-check, by trying to place the amulets into a bag. The REAL amulet will resist, while all others will comply.

If you stumble across a wand of death in your travels, SAVE IT just for him. Not having to fight him is the greatest advantage you can have in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 128