Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175628 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1155 on: July 29, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »

I do have backup plans...! Like... Err... You know, you may have a point there.

Meh, the RNG usually kills me later anyway, so I might as well put my life at risk anyway then wait for the RNG to decide when it wants me to die. :P

Anyway, still going on with my touchstone-on-level-one knight. Let's see how this goes.

Well, I had my longsword break while trying to force a chest. That's rare.

Well, I guess I'm screwed now. :P

Oh hey, more salt on the wound, there was a hobgoblin with a lockpick on it one level below.

A knight with a dagger is no match for a paper golem.

That went well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:46:41 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2010, 01:51:49 am »

Probably about as well as your next dozen or so games.   :D  Unless you're fortunate or incredibly gifted.

not to worry, you'll get better and further along with time as you learn what went wrong and what could've been done differently.  You'll learn to handle almost any situation since you'll have been (at least nearly) killed by it once before.  Despite this, you will still die in appallingly unfair ways.  Much of Nethack's difficulty lies with that merciless killer dungeon master RNG, which will realize you need a potion of healing and so spawn you a plains centaur that just happens to have poison-arrows looted from the Mordor orcs you killed but a few presses of 's' ago.

Just wait until you meet this guy.  Losing is fun!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2010, 01:55:44 am »

I am currently playing Slashem Vampire which is a Nethack mod.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2010, 01:57:44 am »

Probably about as well as your next dozen or so games.   :D  Unless you're fortunate or incredibly gifted.

not to worry, you'll get better and further along with time as you learn what went wrong and what could've been done differently.  You'll learn to handle almost any situation since you'll have been (at least nearly) killed by it once before.  Despite this, you will still die in appallingly unfair ways.  Much of Nethack's difficulty lies with that merciless killer dungeon master RNG, which will realize you need a potion of healing and so spawn you a plains centaur that just happens to have poison-arrows looted from the Mordor orcs you killed but a few presses of 's' ago.

Just wait until you meet this guy.  Losing is fun!
Err, just a question, do you think I'm a newbie? Because you seem to think I am. I'm not. :P

I am currently playing Slashem Vampire which is a Nethack mod.
You're playing Slash'em? Hah, good luck. Just wait until you fight the replacement for the priest of moloch. :D

Playing as a wizard now, I've got a ton of identify scrolls and a uncursed genocide scroll. Plus I've got a grid bug pet (of course, I dump it immediately like most other pets I get, I simply don't have the patience or a use for pets).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:29:38 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2010, 02:40:56 am »

Err, just a question, do you think I'm a newbie? Because you seem to think I am. I'm not. :P

Well, I apologize for my assumption.  Can I ask, why ya picking locks with a longsword and stabbing the golem instead of E'ing and throwing stuff?   :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 30, 2010, 02:50:35 am »

Well, I apologize for my assumption.  Can I ask, why ya picking locks with a longsword and stabbing the golem instead of E'ing and throwing stuff?   :P
The reason I'm picking locks with a longsword is because the chance of it breaking is EXTREMELY small (at least, while playing as a knight), so small that I've made it common practice to force locks with my longsword whenever I'm a knight. It only extremely rarely breaks.

I was too busy trying to run away from the golem (I was running around and around and around...) and never thought of Elbereth. Heck, I rarely use Elbereth. I either just don't remember it or I find it not effective enough without at least semi-permanency.

Anyway, my wizard died to a snake, due to me stupidly holding down the wait button. But then again, how the heck did the snake find me?! I teleported, and I was completely out of the snake's LOS (behind a wall). That snake must have telepathy. Or something.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:52:21 am by Tarran »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:33 am »

You're playing Slash'em? Hah, good luck. Just wait until you fight the replacement for the priest of moloch. :D

I think I remember him *shudders*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 30, 2010, 03:06:49 am »

I think I remember him *shudders*
Oh, never mind. Seems like I was wrong. The High priest isn't replaced in the standard Slash'em (deferred feature).

The guy I was talking about was Cthulhu. But you need the SLethe patch to get him at all, since he's a deferred feature.

Spoiler: Current character (click to show/hide)

I think I've had enough nethack for a few days...

Dammit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:13:13 am by Tarran »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 30, 2010, 07:35:32 am »

I managed to beat this game years ago. It was an elven wizard. I tried to ascend a human healer afterwards, but lost interest in playing after getting killed by the Cyclops.  :(

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 30, 2010, 08:53:32 am »

When I was little I played nethack and I didn't mind the ASCII interface. IIRC I never made it past the first floor, and it still kept me entertained for hours.

I've been meaning to pick it up again, ever since. But these days I prefer a little bit more visualization. You know, I need to keep my imagination for all those drug induced hallucinations and dirty phantasies, I can't just go and waste it on a friggin dungeon crawler!

Joking aside, I had a look at falcon's eye or wotsitsname, but that isn't really the latest version. Suggestions? Places to start looking for tilesets?

I know the standard download comes with a pretty basic tileset, and I'll probably use that, but yeah, would be nice to have some options.

Oh, and btw, just played my first round for years. Random character, just to have a quick look, with this falcons eye thingy. Neato, the guy looks like indiana jones :D I come across a chest, which I fail to open, it seems. I used all my awesome brainpower, but still, I didnt manage to open it. My working theory atm is... I would have needed some sort of keys or lockpicks? I even tried smashing it with mah trusty pickaxe, but no such luck.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34:22 am »

There are a few here...
http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Tileset

I stick to ASCII myself... because I like displaying the whole level without scroll bars, and unlike Dwarf Fortress, the complexity and details haven't outgrown ASCII yet.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 30, 2010, 11:32:55 am »

You can Kick chests, although that'll surely break anything fragile inside such as potions, hunks of glass, and eggs. You can Force the chest although that risks breaking the entire chest if your weapon is blunt or risks breaking the weapon itself if it's bladed. Stabby, throwy, and whippy weapons can't be used to pick locks. Of course, you can Apply a lockpick, credit card, or skeleton key to open the thing, although in Slash'EM that risks the opening device breaking. You can use a wand of opening or cast the spell "Knock". I believe that's every way to open a chest.

Kicking and Forcing with a blunt weapon both exercise Strength while Applying a tool and Forcing with a bladed weapon both exercise Dexterity.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 30, 2010, 11:34:41 am »

For the love of god though, always check chests for traps before trying to open them!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 30, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

Attempting it again.

AFSASGDDGGGG

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »

Two beneficial outcomes is surprising.  That's because
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 128