Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176430 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »

Awesome.  I guess I oughta try that with my next Valkyrie.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2009, 04:49:19 pm »

God! I was just minding my own business in Minetown when the captain of the guard freaks out and attacks me!

I was just trying to engrave Elbereth into the ground (which didn't help btw) in order to make my first stash, and he just walks up and grinds me down to 2 hp in like 2 attacks!

I escape with a wand of digging, but that doesn't help, as I just land in a crowd of gnomes, and I quickly write Elbereth in the dust, and then try making it more permanent, but apparently I can't because I "wipe the dust away"! I didn't even knew it did that.

Very frustrating.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2009, 05:02:18 pm »

A wand of digging can be used for a permanent "Elbereth" according to the wiki.  Or less easily destroyed.

Edit:  Semi-permenant.  Wand of lightning and fire make it permanent. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:15:40 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »

Starting up a Chaotic Orc Ranger, wish me luck.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2009, 06:42:51 pm »

Can someone recommend me a safer way to identifying potions than drinking them?

and don't say "scroll of identify", cause those don't grow on trees.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:13 pm »

Magic marker + blank spellbook?  I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but I think that should work, assuming you have an identify scroll on you to base the spell on.  I think that could also work for un-cursing items.
Just so I remember

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »

Well, if you mean directly safer, you can throw them at mobs.  If you've figured out which ones are probably bad to drink, which i think is just a couple, start chucking them at mobs. Either they'll get tougher and kill you or you'll kill them. Also, if you can apply a potion, its oil, if you dip an amythesty in it and it changes, i think its booze, and if you dip a unicorn horn in it and it changes, it was bad.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2009, 07:28:49 pm »

Unicorn horns are damn useful. Get as many of them as you can. But don't go after them if you're low leveled as they are quite strong. Also, they like to teleport.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »

Awesome.  I guess I oughta try that with my next Valkyrie.

Valkyries are better off with Excalibur... and you don't even need to altar-camp. #Dip your starting longsword into fountains when you're level 7 (5 is also possible), when you are not unlucky (i.e. did not kill your own pets and did not break/teleport boulders in Sokoban). Take standard precautions about things that can come out of fountains. Keep dipping until a hand comes out and bless your sword. Other longsword-wielding lawful characters can do that too.

God! I was just minding my own business in Minetown when the captain of the guard freaks out and attacks me!

Town guards don't like you doing certain things. They don't like you messing with fountains, trees, breaking doors and picking locks. If you must do those things, you must do it out of their sight.

Also all monsters represented by "@" symbol do not respect Elbereth. Minotaur is another notable one.

To dust Elbereth, E then -, when prompted say yes to append, then type Elbereth. Keep doing it for a few turns as you don't have 100% success rate even when you are not blind/confuse/etc. Check with local look : command to see what you've written. Once you get a long string of Elbereth in the dust, you can make a few ranged attacks. Watch it each round to see how it's degrading, and append more if needed.

Oh and wand of fire is preferred over wand of lightning, because wand of lightning blinds you.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »

Oh.  I just meant the sacrifice trick; I always have trouble with getting sacrifices.  But thanks for the tip  :)
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:56 pm »

Your really knowledgeable about Nethack Kcwong. It's impressive.

I tried a couple orc rangers, but I keep running into these horrible situations and everything I've studied gets thrown out the window the moment I'm in a bad situation. I'll try another one tomorrow.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »

:)

It's experience. Experience from a thousand deaths. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2009, 10:30:40 pm »

:)

It's experience. Experience from a thousand deaths. :P

Psh... a REAL Nethack player would have been in the millions!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2009, 11:49:33 pm »

I tried some Orc Wizards, and I got some real awesome stuff for starting equipment, like rings of conflict and scrolls of genocide, and alot of other cool stuff.

Unfortunately, it's all for naught because I keep starving to death! Wizards don't start with any food, and even if you don't use those rings, getting enough food to stay alive is a pain.

The adventurer must have the fastest metabolism in the world, going from well-fed to fainting from starvation in what can only amount to a couple minutes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2009, 12:25:37 am »

As a wizard. The knife is your best friend. Also, later in the game, if it's your first time getting it, you get the best knife in the game.

So just kill lots of stuff and eat them. Don't worry about spells early on. Wizards are the hardest to start with, but become the strongest later on with arguably the best class artifact and the best damage dealing abilities. Can anyone say "blessed spellbook of finger of death"?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 128