Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175777 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #810 on: July 14, 2009, 12:21:13 am »

Its kinda inspiring, if you can die of a mistake as stupid as that and still you somehow beat the game Im sure I can too!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 14, 2009, 12:41:37 am »

I know... I'm so well-prepared for the hard stuff that the easy stuff slips under the radar...

Looks like I learned a lesson today, always press Y when eating.

"It smells like cockatrice. Eat it?"

I'd say having any dangerous items mapped to "y" or "Y", or tapping the y key without reading carefully is *always* bad.

Also, it would seem Riders are capable of opening locked doors, I didn't know they could do that.

Perhaps they have a lockpick/key/credit card... intelligent creatures can use them. Huge creatures will just break the door if they know you're behind it.

I have killed another neutral wizard last night. He started with a ring of slow digestion and conflict, but before I can find the Sokoban stairs the game sent 3 winter wolves to me. I managed to fended them off with a wand of lightning and 2 pet cats, but then RNG sent my killer: a lone soldier (didn't see where the rest of the garrison was). One zap and I'm dead (not enough HP after the wolves) . Heh.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 14, 2009, 12:47:34 am »

I'm glad someone gets something useful out of my stupidity CoD.

Be sure to let us know if you ever ascend Kc, I feel sort of bad that I surpassed you, when you're the expert that got me into the game in the first place.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 14, 2009, 12:50:19 am »

a lone soldier (didn't see where the rest of the garrison was). One zap and I'm dead (not enough HP after the wolves) . Heh.
What happened to your cloak?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 14, 2009, 12:53:43 am »

a lone soldier (didn't see where the rest of the garrison was). One zap and I'm dead (not enough HP after the wolves) . Heh.

Wands MR protect against:

Striking
Death
Magic missile
polymorph (although I've never seen a monster use one offensively)

Things it doesn't protect against:

Everything else.

IIRC.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 14, 2009, 12:54:40 am »

Hint: Thoroughly burnt.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 14, 2009, 01:09:01 am »

oh... so they dont protect against fire, ah well.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:03 am »

Be sure to let us know if you ever ascend Kc, I feel sort of bad that I surpassed you, when you're the expert that got me into the game in the first place.

Yeah, my first thought of reading you ascended was: "Man, I suck at NH!" ;D

But it's mostly my fault of not preparing properly - my valkyrie had too few holy water potions, really shouldn't attempt first ascension without some genocides, etc.

So don't worry about it, I'm sure I'll ascend someday... ;)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 15, 2009, 06:19:08 am »

So, after I got finished beating myself up about the Samurai, I determined myself to start anew. I looked at the list of roles, and picked the one I'd try next. Caveman.

First neutral human Caveman got creamed by a werejackal early on, but it really was my fault, since I completely forgot how to play beginning characters since I've been playing endgame characters so long! So I did dumb things that could've been avoided.

Second Neutral human Caveman, named "Clash Beefbrick", great success thus far! Early gauntlets of power. Some altars. Did Sokoban, got an amulet of reflection (Yeah! I've been getting BoH's, like, 20 times in a row now! Finally got an amulet of reflection.). Then I FOUND a BoH just lying on the ground in the Gnomish Mines. unihorn. Got a lot of scrolls ID'd in a scroll shop. Got everything that needs to be blessed blessed. Got a ring of levitation. Got invisibility. Found a magic lamp. Wished for GDSM (I need the MR, but I don't want to waste a wish on an artifact just yet... I have plans). Found TWO magic markers. Got a ring of teleport control, and I decided to eat a leprechaun, get the -itis, and just wear the ring all the time (probably not such a great idea, but it's working out so far.) Found a lot of money (and by found, I mean I used a poly-tricked gray dragon pet to murder shopkeepers and take their money), and have managed to get a bunch of divine protection. Combined with all the good armor I've been getting, I have like -28 AC thus far.

I'm still clubbing things to death with the +1 club that I started with, but I'll be changing that soon enough. It may sound like I'm already ready to ascend, but trust me, I'll do ALOT more preparing before I tackle the endgame.

I'm kind of caught in a crossroads though for what my future artifact wishes should be. I was thinking staff of aesculapius (Since Cavemen can get expert in Quarterstaff, and it's a pretty sweet weapon), but it would probably be more prudent to get Magicbane, since Rodney's curse attack is freaking HARSH, my Samurai taught me that. I'm not getting both though, I want the Orb of Fate as well.

I'll probably get Magicbane, that way it'll be more feasible to simply bash Rodney's head in every time he appears, and I can save any wands of death I find for the astral plane, where they'll come in handy against the riders.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 17, 2009, 11:30:53 am »

I've decided to use my Caveman to do my first conduct, Polyselfless. So I won't be changing into a vampire lord this time around to get all the bonuses that involves.

But yeah, my caveman is doing very good.

I maxed out my divine protection. Went to the castle, was very surprised to see quite a few liches there. I busted down the gate, then used a cursed scroll of earth to bridge the moat, unleashing the hoard. Backing up into the mini-maze, I whittled them all down. Only thing that really caused me concern were two particular demi-liches, as one managed to fire off a curse. Good thing I carry around a lot of holy water. So I got my wand of wishing, and using a scroll of ID, I found it only had 1 charge on it. Dang.

Since I already had a blessed scroll of charging in my bag, my five wishes, sans the blessed greased fixed parts, were:

Magicbane
Orb of fate
2 blessed scrolls of genocide (got both!)

Then after using a wand of polymorph to try to polypile for a shirt, I then wished for a:

Hawaiian shirt
cloak of protection

Then, after using up one of my magic markers, I enchanted all my armor significantly, and now I have -45 AC. I'll probably use the second marker to write up some scrolls of gold detection, and probably more enchant armor, seeing as how everything isn't corrode-proof yet, I just need to wait for the spells I've learned to be forgotten.

Going to do the quest, and gonna kill the Chromatic Dragon.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 17, 2009, 08:26:38 pm »

I saw this on the ground: "Never ??ust a rar|cm ge?e?ator in ?agi? fields."

Anyone knows what the full text is? "Never trust a rar|cm generator in ?agi? fields"?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:09 pm »

Never trust a random generator in magic fields.

Not exactly useful.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

Ascended with my Caveman!

Beat up the chromatic dragon, surprisingly easy, although I could've done better, seeing as how I was daudling around to try to get items rather than worry about the fighting. Got speed boots, which had no enchantment (unlike the jumping boots I was wearing) but extra speed is always nice.

I was a bit flustered going through Gehennom, since I had not yet found a single scroll of gold detection, so I didn't have them identified, thus I couldn't write any. However, I found TWO magic lamps, so I used my orb of fate to levelport out of Gehennom, where I then altar checked them, blessed them, and I used one to wish for 2 blessed scrolls of gold detection. Got them both, that's great, and so I called them "gold detection" and I was thus able to write the two remaining ones I needed. I then pumped up my AC to an astounding -51 with the remaining charges on my markers, as well as fooproofing all my stuff.

I took a slightly different approach to things this time, instead of bribing Asmodeus and Baalzebub, I gave them nothing and fought them fair and square. Since I figured out the stair trick since the last time I played (something my Samurai could've used) I was able to annihilate them along with Orcus (who only got one shot off from his wand of death). I don't know why I was ever afraid of those guys.

Anyway, I killed Vlad, got the candle-thing, then killed Rodney with melee alone. Then made my way to Moloch's Sanctum where, I came across a cockatrice. Upon killing it, it sprang into my head "if I wear my ring of levitation..." so now I was wielding a cockatrice corpse with total impunity from pit traps, and I stoned everything I came across, including Rodney who showed up at what was possibly the most convenient moment ever. Stoning the high priest, got the amulet, named it, got out, and trudged my way back through Gehennom with only a few frustrating forces sending me back down.

The elemental planes were nice, I was cornered into using a charge from one of my two wands of death on Rodney who popped up at a very inconvenient moment during the air plane (just to get me back!) and I made it to the astral plane with little difficulty.

So there I was, on the astral plane with some pissed off angels, and one last wish...

"Blessed greased fixed cockatrice corpse" I told the djinn, and away I went, repeating my strategy from Moloch's Sanctum, stoned the hell out of everything. Zaps from my wands of death kept Famine and Pestilence at bay, and I made proper usage of the MANY scrolls of create monster I picked up, filling the narrow hallways with acid blobs to prevent them from following.

My altar was the very last one I checked, and I ascended with a long trail of statues behind me.

Also, I got a picture of my scoreboard, which shows my poor Samurai...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Conduct complete!

That makes a tourist, a wizard, and a caveman I've ascended with. I might take a break from Nethack though, I've been meaning to try out LCS, but I've never given it the time, so I guess I'll check it out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 19, 2009, 10:13:04 pm »

I'm away for two and a half weeks and this is still going?  Wow.  Nice job on that Ascension, Josh.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 26, 2009, 12:00:57 pm »

It feels like I killed this thread...
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 128